Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost 500 cards with new incredible art, packaging and other surprises if we reach all the stretch goals.

We also have an Android and iOS App as part of the rewards.

http://kck.st/VzCu9d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter has been cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange that is was cancelled. I am still seeing ads for it here on BGG (which isn't surprising, I guess, they bought the ads).

Anybody know why this was cancelled? I have never seen a KS cancelled like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
Strange that is was cancelled. I am still seeing ads for it here on BGG (which isn't surprising, I guess, they bought the ads).

Anybody know why this was cancelled? I have never seen a KS cancelled like this.

Thanks for the question and the interest.

Let me first say thank you to all of the people who pledged, commented, game advice, offered help, etc. with the project...you all are awesome.

Andreas the designer has some info on his blog about the future...EC Kickstarter Cancelled - Why and What's next?

I'll give you the short version of a longer answer :)

Andreas Propst (the game's designer) and myself (Andreas's friend and fan, chamnpion of independent games and designers and a game fanatic and collector) wanted to get Elemental Clash to as many people as possible for an incredible price in a format that did justice to the game. We didn't ever set out to really make money. It's always been a dream for Andreas to have his game published in a professional way and one of my dreams has always been to publish a game (either mine or someone elses)...so we formed Propane Games. PROpst + PANEthiere = PROPANE :)

We initially intended to print the entire base set plus all the stretch goals as one set and set with free shipping to most of the world at at 30k. After discussions and number crunching and past experience with other KS projects we made some decisions.

We thought 30k might be too lofty as a base goal and scare people off. So we set our stretch goal at 12k dollars, which was just enough for us to print and ship the base set (and we were riding a razors edge, if anything went wrong we would lose money, possibly a lot).

We decided offer the base set with the expansions as stretch goals. We also still wanted to offer free shipping to most of the world because so many people outside the US either don't pledge or take a huge hit in shipping costs. We also developed an app for the Android AND iOS platforms (we appreciate you Android users and feel your pain at the lack of development on the platform).

When we launched we had a professional video, new card art to show, frequent updates, new incentives announced, ads bought and paid for, put the word out everywhere we could think of, had an article and interview published, had review videos posted, etc...we had people look at the project before launch, unbiased opinions said "looks good". So we launched.

In the first few days we had a good upward trend (like most projects will)...then we dropped like a rock after about the fourth day, then we flatlined. For every pledge we got it seemed like we lost a pledge. We needed to hit 30k to break even and release the product as we had initially wanted. We were trending at a rate that would get us just barely over our goal of 12k. We actually had more people withdraw funds on the day we cancelled than pledge, so we our pledge level WENT DOWN before we even announced we were cancelling...that was kind of the sign that sealed the deal.

So we decided that rather than risk losing more money (we were already in the hole for the art and ads and other marketing, which we though the KS was going to hopefully help us recoup) we decided to cancel with plenty of time to spare instead of at the last minute. I know that a lot of the funding comes in the last week and last few hours even, but we couldn't take the risk...like I said we were BARELY halfway to our BASE goal at the halfway point and we were losing pledges even with active updates and marketing activity everyday.

We have learned a lot from our first run, and we will be back. The next one is going to BIGGER from the start. All 500 cards (Base set plus all expansions) with a goal of 30k. Stretch goals to follow after 30k. We should have followed our instincts and just done that from the start.

So in conclusion we stopped because we want to produce the best quality cards and art possible and deliver it to anyone anywhere at a fair price without going broke...and it didn't look like we could do that. So rather than try and cut quality or corners we went with our gut and stayed true to the initial vision (The All or Nothing Master Set).

So stay tuned...we'll be back :)

Thanks for listening to me ramble, I realized that a KS project is a very personal thing and you get kind of attached to it.

I just typed this in one shot so I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes and any confusing stuff
:)

All the best!

Hank Panethiere
Propane Games, LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys really should either make that last KS update public or post something on the main KS page explaining what's going on. I never heard of the game until just now when I saw a banner ad for it on BGG and clicked through. If I hadn't bothered to look it up here, I would've just written off the whole project. And if I saw a new KS posting, the unexplained cancelled one would raise red flags.

Have you considered shopping the game to an established publisher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.