Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game and have only watched a few video reviews, but one thing that jumped out at me is the requirement(?) that a corn is added to a cog of the big wheel anytime no player uses the starting player spot on the board.

My question is: is there a gameplay reason for this? It seems easier and less fiddly to just put the corn on the board next to the starting player spot instead... unless I am missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
We put it on the start player area also. Perhaps we're both missing something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also put it on the start player space, but I will say that people who put it on the cog are less likely to forget to put one out at the end of the turn (a missing corn would be more obvious). Early on, I'm sure we would miss a corn every 5-9 rotations and we had no way to track it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
I will say that people who put it on the cog are less likely to forget to put one out at the end of the turn

Yes - putting it on the cog makes it very easy to keep track of the fact that it has definitely been done. It's certainly the preferred method in the group I play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
We put it on the start player area also. Perhaps we're both missing something!

And me.

Mind you, I also use poker chips instead of the cardboard corn tokens.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game, we put it on the Start Player spot...and I consistently forgot whether or not we had placed one. I actually thought that was where we were supposed to place them until a friend pointed out the wheel thing.

Now that we place them on the wheel, we always remember to place the corn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
My first game, we put it on the Start Player spot...and I consistently forgot whether or not we had placed one. I actually thought that was where we were supposed to place them until a friend pointed out the wheel thing.

Now that we place them on the wheel, we always remember to place the corn...

For those placing them on the cog, do they get in the way at all? From one of the videos I watched, it seems that when the cog with a corn token interacts with one of the smaller wheels, the corn might get displaced or pushed off of the cog and slide around some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Harding
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We place then on the cogs and I only place a few corn in the middle the rest we pile next to the game board, easier to manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manolo mr
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason is beacuse placing in the cog you can know easier how many corns there are. However, we put next to the starting player area as well and to avoid to forget to add the corn in each turn,we place a corn above the cog of the current turn is playing. I recognise, we are a little bit complex!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
[...]
For those placing them on the cog, do they get in the way at all? From one of the videos I watched, it seems that when the cog with a corn token interacts with one of the smaller wheels, the corn might get displaced or pushed off of the cog and slide around some.

In my experience the corn-chips (flakes?) stay in place even when they meet the Chichén Itzá cog's teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We put them on the cog and it's fine, even when they pass over the Chichen Itza cog.

There is no difference at all between placing them on the cog or in the start player area. I can see two reasons the rules suggest placing them on the cog:

1) It's easy for all players to see how many corn are available from the start player space.

2) You're less likely to forget to place a corn (avoids the "Did we put a corn in the start player space at the end of the last round?" moment)

But in gameplay terms there's no difference at all so it's down to personal preference I'd say.

Putting them on the gear does give the husband the chance to use his "corn on the cog" pun. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
Putting them on the gear does give the husband the chance to use his "corn on the cog" pun. shake

Good enough for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:

Oh dear. I'm afraid I'll be adopting that line myself now - I hope he hasn't taken out a copyright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Robb
United Kingdom
Prudhoe
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think our group would be the only one to come up with that pun.

We had a somewhat more standard way of dealing with our corn. We couldn't see the point of keeping the bank on the cog in the first place. Therefore, we kept it off-board next to the resource and skull supplies and the cog was only used to hold the turn-accumulated corn, just like you would in any other game.

This way, you avoid the fiddly balancing act of trying to put the corn on the teeth, the corn falling off during cog rotation or having the bank/accumulated corn getting mixed up if the board gets accidentally knocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We find putting the corn onto the cogs helps remind us both to place it, and to take it when appropriate.

We put the 5's into four small stacks around the central pile of 1's. This makes the gear less cluttered, and the corn on the gears is easy to place and keep track of without ever falling off or getting mixed with the other corn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Robb
United Kingdom
Prudhoe
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just don't get the need for it at all. Why give the corn a special board location but all other supplies have to languish off to the side?

I never understood it with the 'money space' in Puerto Rico's board either. I suppose that corn is more fundamental to Tzolk'in than money is in PR, and is therefore somewhat more deserving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Fuz_ wrote:
I guess I just don't get the need for it at all. Why give the corn a special board location but all other supplies have to languish off to the side?

I never understood it with the 'money space' in Puerto Rico's board either. I suppose that corn is more fundamental to Tzolk'in than money is in PR, and is therefore somewhat more deserving.

My original question pertained specifically to the rule about placing corn onto the cogs of the big wheel each time a round ended where no player chose to use the starting player action.

However, there is space on the board for the other resources. The wooden cubes and crystal skulls, according to the rules, can be placed in the empty space in the upper right of the board, between the temples and the upper right cog.

Of course, you can always simply choose to place all resources off the board, including the corn, if you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you put on the corn before or after moving the wheel for the day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
Do you put on the corn before or after moving the wheel for the day?

Before turning the wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.