Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So....I was looking to see if anyone else has pondered this in the forums as of ten pages of looking I have not found it. So, I shall ask the question.

why whouldn't someone just get two Cores versus getting tomes one and two?

the base when in stock is about $38 and the two cores run about $12-15 each.

thats only about $8 off on the high end and $14 on the low end diffence.

Secondly do you really need the tomes in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Vacek
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having purchased Tome 1 and 2, I wish I had just purchased a second copy of the core game. There are many cards repeated that don't make a lot of sense to me. For example, I now have 2 pieces of every type of equipment that only can be used with a specific type of mage (beastmaster only). Since I only have 1 beastmaster, it doesn't make sense. However, if I had 2 beastmasters, it would make sense (like for multiplayer). Spell Tome 1 was nice, and Tome 2 really only seemed to give a few cards that were helpful to have 2 copies of. But looking back, I should have just gotten a second core set. I could have had 2 more spellbooks and another board, too, for the $8 difference as you suggested. Sounds worth it to me.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the OP. While this has not necessarily been the point of a thread, it has been stated in many threads.

If you love the game, buy 2 base sets for sure. Even then, there are only going to be a couple of certain cards that you want.

Hand of Bim Shalla for example, you will only have 2 copies.

When it is all said and done, if you are crazy like me and some others that I know, you will likely want a copy of Tome 2 sets as well. I only say that for the unique gear though.

The spells in 1 may be more useful in more decks.

Check the distribution lists to see which you like better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the card list for Tome 2:

I couldn't find the list for 1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkawqgc2ub6w1g2/Core%20Spell%20Tom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:

I couldn't find the list for 1.

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/90ozha7ytm/core...?

Found it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got two base games. But then again I also got two spell tomes. The plan was to have one set for me and one set for my GF, but I´m expecting it will all get mixed up eventually. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With regards to deckbuilding, to have a complete playset, what is the cheapest combo? 2 Cores and 2 of each Spell Tome? 1 Core and 3 of each? Is there a card that I can include 6 of but only appears once? Will I need 4 Forcemaster sets?

I know you don't need a playset, it's just that I've never seen a roadmap for those that want one.

I think Spell Tome 2 was a great addition btw. This was put together because the players asked for an inexpensive way to fill out their Spell Books. How can you not love this company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
. I only say that for the unique gear though.
Unique gear? I thought the tomes were all dupes of the original set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some players like the wider choice available with the Tome expansions for use during spellbook design. If you want to explore spellbook designs at the upper limit of the design rules (i.e. 6 x Level 1 spells, and 4 x other Level spells), then the Tome expansions are a cheap option. Even with two core sets you may not have the maximum distribution of certain spells, especially if you use a common card pool for both opponents to use during spellbook design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arg...i suppose I should just get the base game and just decide for myself if a second is called for I see competitors wanting to use the same spells the old "oooh I wish I had that spell in my book" situation.

It's not like its the end of the world having a second copy, games of this caliber good don't go down in value significanly in the trade/selling arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH! I just got tome 2 yesterday. Have a friend that is interested in the game. I got both tomes hoping it would make it totally doable for him to make and have his own book, without having to worry about messing up my book.

But you guys are right, I should have just bought him A SECOND COPY, cause that $40 I spent on the tomes would have been near the cost of one.

Double-Doh! That almost makes me angry. I wonder why those tomes cost so darn much. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a breakdown of what you'd be have with 2xBase vs Base+Cores (based on card lists taken from the file section). I should probably upload my spreadsheet at some point. But for now, here is a list of the extras you'll get each way:

With Base game + Core Tomes 1 & 2 you'd get the following over someone that went with 2 base games:

1 Hand of Bim-Shalla
1 Jinx
2 Purify
1 Regrowth Belt
1 Shift Enchantment

With two Base games you get the following over someone that went with base + cores:

2 Agony, 3 Asyran Cleric, 1 Banish, 1 Battle Forge, 1 Bear Strength, 3 Bitterwood Fox, 1 Blinding Flash, 3 Block, 1 Blue Gremlin, 2 Call of the Wild, 1 Chain Lightning, 1 Chains of Agony, 1 Cheetah Speed, 1 Cobra Reflexes, 1 Dark Pact Slayer, 2 Darkfenne Bat, 1 Darkfenne Hydra, 3 Decoy, 3 Dispel, 4 Dissolve, 1 Divine Protection, 1 Drain Life, 1 Eagle Wings, 1 Electrify, 1 Elemental Cloak, 1 Emerald Tegu, 1 Enfeeble, 2 Essence Drain, 1 Evade, 1 Explode, 1 Feral Bobcat, 2 Fireball, 2 Firebrand Imp, 1 Firestorm, 1 Flaming Hellion, 1 Force Push, 1 Gray Angel, 2 Harmonize, 1 Hawkeye, 1 Heal, 1 Hellfire Trap, 1 Highland Unicorn, 1 Jet Stream, 1 Knight of Westlock, 1 Knockdown, 2 Lightning Bolt, 1 Mage Wand, 3 Mana Crystal, 3 Mana Flower, 2 Mana Leech, 1 Marked for Death, 3 Minor Heal, 1 Mongoose Agility, 1 Moonglow Amulet, 1 Moonglow Faerie, 3 Nullify, 1 Pacify, 2 Pillar of Light, 1 Poisoned Blood, 1 Purge Magic, 1 Retaliate, 1 Rhino Hide, 1 Ring of Fire, 1 Royal Archer, 1 Sacred Ground, 1 Seeking Dispel, 2 Tanglevine, 1 Teleport, 1 Teleport Trap, 1 Thunderift Falcon, 2 Timber Wolf, 1 Turn to Stone, 1 Vampirism, 1 Wall of Fire, 1 Wall of Stone

You'll also get additional spellbooks, bits, markers, an extra board, ect. So if you paint the extra markers you'll have all you need for 4 players with a bigger arena. And you'll also have two of each Mage so you could do mirror match-ups if you wanted.

[Edited to correct errors from the number counts I was using.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
ghbell wrote:
. I only say that for the unique gear though.
Unique gear? I thought the tomes were all dupes of the original set.

What I meant was, you get additional copies of cards previously unique to the core set. The Epics, the Lash of Hellfire, etc. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 1 core and spelltome 1. Spelltome 2 isn't available in the UK as yet?.

And of course the imminent release of the forcemaster v warlord expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one core and the expansion should suffice. hopefully there will be more base games available when the expansion comes out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
DoUrden wrote:
I think one core and the expansion should suffice. hopefully there will be more base games available when the expansion comes out

Yeah good luck finding a single copy of the base game in the UK let alone two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Folks,

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and opinions about our game and expansions.

Let me assure you, each Core Spell Tome (I & II) was created because of requests by our fans. Whether someone wants multiple copies of certain spells to round out their spellbook, or they want different versions of a specific Mage; we created (with fan input) a list of spells that would give our players the most options available for customizing their Mage(s).

I would note, for the amount of cards you receive, it would be a closer price comparison to look at 2 Core Sets vs 1 Core Set + 3 Tomes.

If you have other suggestions for card distribution and availability, please email them to me at patrickconnor@arcanewonders.com and we will explore each and every idea.

Now, I cannot promise that we will incorporate your ideas into our model, but I can promise you that we will always listen to and respect your ideas and opinions.

There will be an OFFICIAL press concerning the Forcemaster vs Warlord Expansion later this week! Stay tuned!

Sincerely,

Patrick C Connor Jr
Communications Director, Arcane Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pconnor wrote:
Folks,

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and opinions about our game and expansions.

Let me assure you, each Core Spell Tome (I & II) was created because of requests by our fans. Whether someone wants multiple copies of certain spells to round out their spellbook, or they want different versions of a specific Mage; we created (with fan input) a list of spells that would give our players the most options available for customizing their Mage(s).

I would note, for the amount of cards you receive, it would be a closer price comparison to look at 2 Core Sets vs 1 Core Set + 3 Tomes.

Agreed

Quote:
If you have other suggestions for card distribution and availability, please email them to me at patrickconnor@arcanewonders.com and we will explore each and every idea.

Now, I cannot promise that we will incorporate your ideas into our model, but I can promise you that we will always listen to and respect your ideas and opinions.

There will be an OFFICIAL press concerning the Forcemaster vs Warlord Expansion later this week! Stay tuned!

Sincerely,

Patrick C Connor Jr
Communications Director, Arcane Wonders

Good to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Folks,

Sincerely,
I need that translated from PR speek what did I just read?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoUrden wrote:
Quote:
Folks,

Sincerely,
I need that translated from PR speek what did I just read?
They are looking for feedback on the game and may even listen to it.

That is, they're acknowledging the desires of the fans and have been trying to answer their wants. They want to continue to do so in the future.

Good stuff, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah gotcha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Payne
United States
Felton
California
flag msg tools
pconnor wrote:

This is true. Therefore the more interesting comparison is between what you get if you buy two core sets vs if you buy 1 core set, 2 copies of core tome 1, and one copy of core tome 2. This makes more sense than getting a second copy of core tome 2 because there are a number of cards in that set that are specific to a particular mage and are limited to one copy.

With Base game + 2 Copies of Core Tome 1 and 1 copy of Core Tome 2 you'd get the following over someone that went with 2 base games:

1 Animal Kinship
1 Battle Fury
1 Bull Endurance
1 Charge
1 Circle of Lightning
1 Darkpact Slayer
1 Deflection Bracers
1 Dragonscale Hauberk
1 Drain Power
1 Elemental Wand
1 Fog Bank
1 Force Hold
1 Force Orb
1 Force Push
1 Force Sword
1 Gauntlets of Strength
1 Ghoul Rot
1 Group Heal
2 Hand of Bim-Shalla
1 Ivarium Longbow
3 Jinx
1 Leather Boots
1 Mage Staff
1 Maim Wings
1 Mountain Gorilla
1 Necropian Vampiress
1 Perfect Strike
1 Piercing Strike
3 Purify
1 Rajan's Fury
1 Regrowth
2 Regrowth Belt
1 Reverse Attack
1 Reverse Magic
1 Rouse The Beast
3 Shift Enchantment
1 Skeletal Sentry
1 Sleep
1 Steal Enchantment
1 Teleport
1 Temple of the Dawnbreaker
1 Thunderbolt
1 Tooth & Nail
1 Vampiric Strike
1 Wall of Thorns
1 Whirling Spirit

With two Base games you get the following over someone that went with base + 2 copies of core 1 + 1 copy of core 2:

1 Agony
2 Asyran Cleric
1 Battle Forge
2 Bitterwood Fox
1 Blinding Flash
1 Block
1 Call of the Wild
1 Chain Lightning
1 Chains of Agony
1 Cheetah Speed
1 Cobra Reflexes
1 Dark Pact Slayer
1 Darkfenne Bat
1 Darkfenne Hydra
2 Decoy
2 Dispel
3 Dissolve
1 Electrify
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Emerald Tegu
1 Essence Drain
1 Fireball
1 Firebrand Imp
1 Firestorm
1 Harmonize
1 Highland Unicorn
1 Knight of Westlock
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Mana Crystal
2 Mana Flower
1 Mana Leech
2 Minor Heal
1 Moonglow Amulet
1 Nullify
1 Pillar of Light
1 Ring of Fire
1 Tanglevine
1 Timber Wolf

The cards you get extra copies of if you buy the tomes look more useful to me. Plus you can always buy a second copy of core tome 2 later if you want a second copy of some of the more powerful and unique spells. You can also buy the extra spellbooks and/or the 4 player expansion pack later if you want multiplayer.

The biggest thing I would get if I got the two core sets that I will miss otherwise is the ability to play mirror matchups. If you really want the mirror matchups or if you want to be able to get up and running with multiplayer right away (I'm planning to play this 2 player only), then get the 2 core sets. Keep in mind that if you invest in setting yourself up to be able to play the mirror matchups with the base mages you may find yourself sorely tempted to get two copies of each of the mage expansions as well. Knowing that I won't be able to afford to get two copies of each expansion down the road makes me want to let go of my desire to be able to do mirror matchups and go the spell tome route for now.

If you are willing to spend a little bit more up front the interesting choice is between buying 2 Core Sets and 1 Core Tome 1 or buying 1 Core Set, 2 Core Tome 1 and 2 Core Tome 2. Here is the breakdown if you are thinking about these options:

With Base Set + 2 Copies of Core Tome 1 and 2 copies of Core Tome 2 you'd get the following over someone that went with 2 Base Sets + 1 copy of Core Tome 1:

1 Adramelech, Lord of Fire
1 Arcane Ring
1 Battle Fury
1 Bearskin Armor
1 Brogan Bloodstone
1 Bull Endurance
1 Charge
1 Cervere, The Forest Shadow
1 Crown of Protection
1 Dawnbreaker Ring
1 Death Link
1 Deathlock
1 Demonhide Armor
1 Divine Intervention
1 Drain Power
1 Enchanter's Ring
1 Fellela, Pixie Familiar
2 Flameblast
1 Fireshaper Ring
1 Fog Bank
1 Force Hold
1 Gate to Hell
1 Gate to Voltari
1 Geyser
1 Ghoul Rot
1 Goran, Werewolf Pet
1 Gorgon Archer
1 Group Heal
2 Hand of Bim-Shalla
1 Helm of Fear
1 Huginn, Raven Familiar
1 Idol of Pestilence
2 Jinx
1 Lair
1 Lash of Hellfire
1 Lay Hands
1 Lightning Ring
1 Magebane
1 Maim Wings
1 Malacoda
1 Mana Siphon
1 Mohktari, Great Tree of Life
1 Moloch's Torment
1 Mordok's Obelisk
1 Pentagram
1 Perfect Strike
1 Piercing Strike
4 Purify
1 Redclaw, Alpha Male
1 Regrowth
2 Regrowth Belt
1 Resurrection
1 Reverse Attack
1 Reverse Magic
1 Ring of Asyra
1 Ring of Beasts
1 Ring of Curses
1 Rouse The Beast
2 Shift Enchantment
1 Skeletal Sentry
1 Sleep
1 Sosruko, Ferret Companion
1 Staff of Asyra
1 Staff of Beasts
1 Staff of the Arcanum
1 Steelclaw Grizzly
1 Stonegaze Basilisk
1 Suppression Cloak
1 Suppression Orb
1 Tarok, The Sky Hunter
1 Temple of Asyra
1 Temple of Light
1 Valshalla, Lightning Angel
1 Vampiric Strike
1 Wall of Thorns
1 Wind Wyvern Hide

With two Base Sets + 1 copy of Core Tome 1 you get the following over someone that went with one Base Set + 2 copies of Core Tome 1 + 2 copies of Core Tome 2:

2 Agony
3 Asyran Cleric
1 Banish
3 Bitterwood Fox
3 Block
1 Blue Gremlin
2 Call of the Wild
1 Dark Pact Slayer
2 Darkfenne Bat
3 Decoy
2 Dispel
4 Dissolve
1 Divine Protection
1 Drain Life
2 Eagle Wings
1 Enfeeble
2 Essence Drain
1 Evade
1 Explode
1 Feral Bobcat
2 Fireball
2 Firebrand Imp
1 Flaming Hellion
1 Force Push
1 Gray Angel
2 Harmonize
1 Hawkeye
1 Hellfire Trap
1 Knockdown
1 Leather Gloves
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Mana Crystal
2 Mana Flower
2 Mana Leech
1 Marked for Death
2 Minor Heal
1 Mongoose Agility
1 Moonglow Faerie
3 Nullify
1 Pacify
2 Pillar of Light
1 Poisoned Blood
1 Purge Magic
1 Royal Archer
1 Sacred Ground
1 Seeking Dispel
2 Tanglevine
1 Teleport
1 Teleport Trap
1 Thunderift Falcon
2 Timber Wolf
1 Turn to Stone
1 Vampirism
1 Wall of Fire
1 Wall of Stone

Here the price is again about the same, but I think the 2 Core Sets + 1 Core Tome 1 option is superior. Looking above keep in mind that both setups include at least 2 copies of every card, so the differences are just what cards will you have extra copies of. Getting a Second Core Tome 2 gives you a third copy of some cards that are mage specific and are limited to one per deck, which is more than you need even if you wanted to have a variant version of each mage ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They want my feedback? Ok: The Tomes are way too expensive!

The only reason I ended up purchasing mine is cause I told the guy at my little local store I wanted the tomes (before I foolishly did not think to check the price). I just assumed $.799 - $9.99

They got them in and I purchased them even though my jaw was still on the floor when I left the store from seeing the price.

$40 for extra cards the 2 Tomes?!?! When the game itself costs $60?

I've already "spread the word" to everyone I know to not purchase them at such an outrageous price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Payne
United States
Felton
California
flag msg tools
Yup, you got ripped off. You should be able to buy three tomes for the price of one base set. Those are the ratios of the MSRP prices as well as the ratios of the much cheaper prices available online (check boardgameprices.com - lots of online places also offer free shipping on orders over $100)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |