Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games where the goal (of part of the goal) is to collect sets (nod to Knizia). I am interested in what your favourite set collection game is to play and why? What mechanically works? Does it work with the theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders' science cards spring to mind. In terms of balance and payoff, they work well, but the mechanic is ungainly. Trying to explain 'for each of the three symbols you get n^2 points where n is the number of that smbols you have, plus you get 7 points for each set of three different symbols' is one of the least intuitive parts of the game for new players to grasp.

I know people who have played several games and still struggle to get their heads around that mechanic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I thought of 7 Wonders but find the scoring a little clumsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology: The Card Game and Jaipur are both good.

With ARCHAEOLOGY, the more cards in a set you play, the more points you get. You cannot add to a set once you have played it, so it is important to decide how long you want to hold the set in your hand and try to get more cards of the same type. Holding onto your cards too long can be dangerous because you risk losing them to thieves and sandstorms.

With JAIPUR, the person who plays sets of certain types earliest in the game gets more points for them. But if you wait to play your sets until you have 3, 4 or 5 of a kind, you also get bonus points. So, like ARCHAEOLOGY, timing is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Archaeology: The Card Game and Jaipur are both good.

With ARCHAEOLOGY, the more cards in a set you play, the more points you get. You cannot add to a set once you have played it, so it is important to decide how long you want to hold the set in your hand and try to get more cards of the same type. Holding onto your cards too long can be dangerous because you risk losing them to thieves and sandstorms.

With JAIPUR, the person who plays sets of certain types earliest in the game gets more points for them. But if you wait to play your sets until you have 3, 4 or 5 of a kind, you also get bonus points. So, like ARCHAEOLOGY, timing is important.

Thanks! I own both these games and enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite popular on BGG, but Dragonland - which incidentally is from Knizia - is a very good set collection game. Stone Age has a lot of set collection, although it is often overshadowed by the worker placement and dice rolling. I also like Amazonas.

You are probably aware of Tigris & Euphrates (Knizia again) but I think it is worth mentioning, because although the scoring method is simple and plain set collection, the rules describe it in a more convoluted way without ever mentioning sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the scoring aspect of The Hanging Gardens to be interesting.

Players collect sets of tiles that score points, but each set is different for both points and number of tiles in a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanafuda is the one I love.

Wait, wait. It really has some awesome things going for it that I haven't seen often recently.

It's set collection, but there's different combinations to be made. A bit like poker hands.

Another game that's taken from this is Tien Zi Que, which works differently, but has the same kind of "collect cards to form combinations - different combinations score different amounts of points"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.