Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I imagine this might not be appropriate but some cool scenario opportunites could filter out here.

Mali: HeP module units combined with either Somali units from DoH or the Freebie Afghan muj counters?!

The Terrain is mostly flat rolling plains and rugged hills in the North East where the most recent French plane strikes have been.

While the HeP units are '85 era, all things being equal this would be interesting match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's explore the rich history of Lock'n Load scenarios that cover contemporary conflicts. To date, only one brave soul has had the courage and creativity to steal utilize the work of others to create and post on BGG, scenarios ripped from the most obscure sources on the internet. My silently acclaimed No Country for Young Men steals utilizes the Ivory Coast force from David Julien's well-executed and expanded Checkpoint Calvi 2 (you need WinRAR to open it). The IC counters portray African Union army forces fighting Islamic Extremists in the mean streets of Mogadishu. The real battle was fought only the summer before last. Making this the most contemporary of contemporary LnL scenarios. Until the esteemed Monsieur Julien gets his Libyan Revolution scenario published in Line of Fire.

A Mali scenario would steal his march since these battles have not yet even been fought. To date, the unexpectedly well-armed and well-trained Islamist rebels have routed the slightly trained and equipped (by America) Mali Army, captured half the country and caused a counter-coup.

As this was written, the only battle fought by the French has been retaking the town of Konna from extremists. The Mali Army with the help of French Mirage attack aircraft and attack helicopters drove the Islamist from the town. French Marines and French Foreign Legion Cavalry have been sent to Mali, a planned deployment of 2000 strong and some 40-odd armored vehicles. Other West African nation's have sent smaller contingents in hope of building a 3300 man counter force to aid the Mali Army.

As for forces used to simulate the conflict, the French could be portrayed by those in Honneur & Patrie or Checkpoint Calvi. The Mali army and West African forces are easily represented by the ubiquitous Ivory Coast rebels (including technicals) from Checkpoint Calvi. Islamist rebels could be represented by Somali's from A Day of Heroes or the Mujahadeen in Ralph Ferrari's Convoy through Hell which was a recent LNLP freebee (if you don't have it, petition Ralph to post it on BGG), or David's upcoming Libyan Rebels.

To grasp the full scope of this proposal, someone with vision, conviction, and talent has the opportunity to create the most unique counters in all of Lock'n Load: Toureg camel rider rebels!

I'm just say'n.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, I only respond to my own post when I violently agree with myself. But, my previous post is only about war gaming. I hope for a peaceful resolution of the troubles in Mali.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
ZombieMark wrote:
Normally, I only respond to my own post when I violently agree with myself. But, my previous post is only about war gaming. I hope for a peaceful resolution of the troubles in Mali.

Fat chance of that.
The FR are gearing up. They just had to pass the hat around to get a plane or three from nations with...ummm, well you guys with transport planes and shit.

So when are you making this set of 3-4 scenarios? I assume that they will come after the Libyan treats! So counters in LOF #14/15? and scenarios in 14/15/16.
ohhh wow. how cool.

Sits on hands and waits .....whistle

...oh and the WHAT IF, Embassy rescue with Delta Force.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.... Still waiting for my Contra vs. Sandanista ...

Seriously one BIG reason why I support LNL is the willingness to take risks. One of them being creation of scenarios and counters to play out these kind of conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ab5000 wrote:
Hello.... Still waiting for my Contra vs. Sandanista ...

Dude, I'm on it!

Contradicted

Jinotega Province, Nicaragua; 1515 local, September 12th, 1983

Contras Commandoes attempt to destroy a Sandinista outpost guarding a strategic road.
Notes: The Nicaraguans made their first appearance in Mark Walker’s Act of Valor scenario, featured in Line of Fire #12. The role of Contras Commandos is played by the recently “rediscovered” Free Rangers. If you don’t have them, send Mark Walker hundreds of emails asking him to repost them on his website. You will need to make multiple copies of squad/half squad counters.

Order of Battle
Contras : Units may enter any map edges starting on turn one.
8 x 2-6-4
1 x 1918
1x Satchel Charge
Sgt. Jorge Carson
Cpl. Raul Racks
Sandinistas: Setup bunker in hex 4H4. All units set up within 3 hexes of bunker.
5 x 2-4-4
1x PKM
1x RPG-7
Lt Chamoro
Ortego
1x bunker

Playable Area
Forgotten Heroes Board 4.

Scenario Length
6 Turns. Contras have the Initiative on Turn One.

Victory Conditions
Contras must destroy, or be the last to occupy the Sandinista bunker.

Special Scenario Rules
#1. Contras and Sandinistas do not use smoke and do not create Heroes.

#2. Many Contras were ex-National Guardsmen from Samoza’s deposed regime, equipped with older American weapons. Shaken Contra units may move in any direction desired. They are not restricted from moving towards an enemy, except they cannot enter Melee.

#3. Each Rally Phase the Nicaraguan player can attempt to rally a Nicaraguan MMC that is in terrain with a TM of +1 or greater, but without a Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Michon
France
flag msg tools
I think it would be a very good idea - and nice tribute to our guys over there. HeP has most of the hardware (yes, we are using Gazelles, VABs and ERC 90's in Mali), and enough elite inf units to portray the 21e RIMA (already featured in HeP as part of the FAR). If David has time,I think he could do a great job (the Mali Islamists appear to be tougher than 1-3-4's).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David JULIEN
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I have no time! cry
But if you have a scenario designed and tested, I'll do it.
Islamists should be I guess something like 2-3/4-4-5 and some other squads more of less effective.

Maps will be the harder to find.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
David JULIEN wrote:
Hi
I have no time! cry
But if you have a scenario designed and tested, I'll do it.
Islamists should be I guess something like 2-3/4-4-5 and some other squads more of less effective.

Maps will be the harder to find.

David

Ring of Hills would work. Rocky Barren etc.
Day of Heroes for towns?
Perhaps take trees and make them sand or undulating sandy terrain [blocking]? It has the rough modifiers built in. you could attach them to HoB maps for town ship maps- ignore trees make them scrub?
Once again add sand areas over certain terrain?

Scenarios likely fall into:
Clear and Secure
Ambush
Camp raid style
Person of Interest / Hostage rescue

Clueless in Austin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools

SW Mali

Central - timbuktu!

Central.
The North East is either sand dunes or rocky from what I can tell. I imagine not much happening up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Wolski
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"recently “rediscovered” Free Rangers."

Which download was this? Was this a scenario and counters or just counters? I'm sorting through my stuff but don't recognize this one.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwolski wrote:
"recently “rediscovered” Free Rangers."

Just counters and kinda primitive. I think from pre-historic pre-LNLP days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Wolski
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, OK - I probably don't have them then. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.