1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which games should I buy?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TF Radcliff
msg tools
Situation

Due to returns from the holidays, I am fortunate enough to have some Amazon credit available meeple

Thinking of getting 2 games, but can't decide which ones! Stuck on a few that I've fallen for, so was hoping to hear the community's thoughts!

Games considered:

King of Tokyo
Cyclades
Agents of Smersh
Zombicide
Libertalia
Empires of the Void
Claustrophobia
Descent
Sentinels of the Multiverse

Considerations

I'm a fairly new gamer, having started about 2 years ago. Usually, it's just my wife and I, but we do sometimes play with others. Our current favorite games include Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Battlestar Galactica, Alhambra, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, and Pandemic.

Thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo, and Claustrophobia.

KoT is just an all around blast, and Claustrophobia is a cheaper, different Space Hulk like game and my wife and I rather enjoy it.

Edit: to be fair, my wife just pointed out that I've only played three of those games (the two I mentioned plus Cyclades) and I wasn't a big fan of Cyclades... So take that for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C

Indiana
msg tools
mb
While I don't own it and have not played it I have to say Descent looks amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iidhaegn wrote:
King of Tokyo

Yes but... Not with two players. I agree on Claustophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia, and I also like Sentinels.

Looks like you have a consensus on one, at least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
Thanks all! My only concern with Claustrophobia was that it may be too complex for the wife whistle

But, compared to BSG, where does it fall?

King of Tokyo looks loads of fun, but it really doesn't play well with 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list, given that you mostly play with two players, I'd strongly recommend Claustrophobia. It takes a few rounds to get the rules down, but the game play is not overly complicated. To paraphrase the designer, it's a board game, not a tactical miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvben wrote:
While I don't own it and have not played it I have to say Descent looks amazing.

And it probably is, but with two players, I would still go for Claustophobia, if I wanted that kind of game. The rules are much simpler, and has good support from the designer (downloadable scenarios), but Descent has more variaty character and monster vise.

I like Sentinels of the Multiverse, but if you play it two player, you have to control 2 heros each - or at least one of you for a total of three heros. Not a problem, just something to be aware of. I play Sentinels solo with three heros sometimes. It's not a problem, but there is a lot of modifiers to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DistopianContinuity wrote:
Thanks all! My only concern with Claustrophobia was that it may be too complex for the wife whistle

King of Tokyo looks loads of fun, but it really doesn't play well with 2 players?

KoT is bad with two.

Not on your list but maybe Glen More? Kind of a Carc feel with a touch of worker placement. Scales well and is easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If thats the case, you really don't want Descent

If your wife can play Puerto Rico, Claustophobia will be no problem for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia really needs 4 for it to work well.

I would suggest getting several smaller 2 player games... More for your money

Jaipur, Jambo, Battleline and Morels are all excellent 2 player games!

For 2 or more players I would suggest Kingdom Builder. We have really been having fun with that one and it scales well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

KoT is bad with two.

Not on your list but maybe Glen More? Kind of a Carc feel with a touch of worker placement. Scales well and is easy to teach.

Glen More is a good suggestion, but not really worker placement, but yes... There's no worker placement game on the list of favorites.

Take a look at Richard Hams geeklists and playthrough videos. He plays most of his games with his wife, and judge a game from a two player perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as a nubly one myself i can say cutthroat caverns was good fun.

descent is addictive, a money burner and will consume you.

zombies!!! and midevil are easy and cheap with a random element that allows replay.

smallworld is easy to learn and has almost infinite combos for replay value.

i just got zombicide and will attempt it tomorrow.

the 2 adventurers games from fantasy flight are pretty fun even though i have never made it out of the pyramid alive in 4 tries.

my kids (8 & 11) LOVE vampire hunter, ticket to ride and catan jr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daggz wrote:

Steve is right!

Richard Hams user profile is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/rahdo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

Well... Not yet, but when we have more than one expansion... Probably
I'm assuming we're talking about Descent 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Well... Not yet, but when we have more than one expansion... Probably
I'm assuming we're talking about Descent 2nd edition.

im thinking about paint and scenery bits....anything close to scale he nabs. bought my buddy a craftsman rolling mechanics tool chest just for his descent bits.

i started doing that crap too....i bought a $15 Splitting Ash Army of Darkness action figure just to use the plastic Necronomicon when playing medevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a worker placement game is missing from your collection

There's a lot to choose from, but a couple spring to mind:

Agricola: all creatures big and small
Kingsburg
Stoneage
Lords of Waterdeep
Alien Frontiers

And if you're not afraid of something a little heavier:

Pret-a-portier
Village
Troyes

I have played all with two players, and they all work fine. The last three i really really like, and it's something you wont get tired of after a couple of plays, if you like them in the first place.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but... Yeah... Sorry.

From your list of favorites it seems like you're mostly into euros, all of the above fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest game i played with my wife was Finca. You wouldn't know it from the looks of it, but that game is pure evil. I'm not sure she has forgiven me completely yet - but... She said she liked it when we finished the game. That rarely happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Coeyman
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daggz wrote:

Agree...I really like this game, it supports 2-6 (one of the main reasons i bought it) but really works best with 4. Still pretty good with 3 or 5.
2 and 6 are viable but just ok in my book--6 too random, 2 not enough of an picking order set up.

I will also suggest Castles of Burgundy for a great 2 player that scales great to 3 or 4.

+1 for Kingdom Builder for the same reason. Excellent 2 player and scales great.

Empires of the Void is a decent game (even with 2) but the rulebook is horrible and not for newbies. There is an "expansion" you can download on here that is basically an updated rulebook + a few other features and that clears some stuff up, but I'd pass on it for now if I were you.

Thurn and Taxis is another great one 2 player that scales well and is a good step up from Ticket to Ride.

Sobek is a good set collection game that works better with 3 or 4, but handles 2 pretty nicely as well. And it's pretty cheap. Very similar to Jaipur/Morels which are both outstanding 2 player only games. Sobek supporting more than 2 is why it's still in my collection even with Jaipur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
Interesting thoughts, everybody; thanks! You've definitely sold me on Claustrophobia

As for the other suggestions, are there any from my original list that would be recommended? I narrowed it down to those because of the "cool" themes, as I really want to stay away from games without one (personal choice here!)

Thanks again!!! meeple

Remaining Options (in addition to Claustrophobia):
Cyclades
Agents of Smersh
Zombicide
Empires of the Void

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
"Empires of the Void is a decent game (even with 2) but the rulebook is horrible and not for newbies. There is an "expansion" you can download on here that is basically an updated rulebook + a few other features and that clears some stuff up, but I'd pass on it for now if I were you."

Gotcha; thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:

Glen More is a good suggestion, but not really worker placement,

When you place the workers on the tiles, what do you call it? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
alfons wrote:

Glen More is a good suggestion, but not really worker placement,

When you place the workers on the tiles, what do you call it? whistle

Well... Then Carcasonne is a worker placement game too.

I would define worker placement as: place a worker to take a certain action (often) blocking the action for the other players.

Edit: i'm aware you need clansmen to use your tiles i Glen More, but you move them around (and only on your own tiles), and never take them off - unless you make them cheiftains. I never thought of it as worker placement like in Caylus, Lords of Waterdeep, Manhattan Project etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thoughts, everybody; thanks! You've definitely sold me on Claustrophobia

As for the other suggestions, are there any from my original list that would be recommended? I narrowed it down to those because of the "cool" themes, as I really want to stay away from games without one (personal choice here!)

Thanks again!!! meeple

Remaining Options (in addition to Claustrophobia):
Cyclades
Agents of Smersh
Zombicide
Empires of the Void

The only one I tried (and already commented on) is Sentinels. From your list of favorites, it seem that a strong theme isn't too important

Just sayin'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
"The only one I tried (and already commented on) is Sentinels. From your list of favorites, it seem that a strong theme isn't too important

Just sayin'"

Haha, fair enough. But that is something I'm trying to change with this purchase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.