Condottiere» Forums » General

Subject: Something LIKE this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Populi
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I'm looking for a game that is thematically similar to Condottierre. The only reason I'm not simply getting this game is due to the number of players required for a decent game. I typically game with one other person, and sometimes even solo.

So, basically, I'm looking for a Renaissance-themed game of intrigue, politics, and warfare. I would prefer a board game, but card games are ok as well. Oh, and I am pretty serious about the Renaissance theme, since this game isn't really all that thematic when you think about it. I am looking for more of a "simulation" experience...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that comes to mind is Unhappy King Charles!, which is a 2 player card driven game of the English Civil War.

I can't think of a 2 player wargame on the Italian Wars, which is the Condottiere period. There is a 2 player variant Here I Stand: 2-Player Diplomacy Deck which makes a multi-player Renaissance game into a two player game.

Because these are card driven, neither is probably very good solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Finding politics and intrigue in a 2 player game is going to be pretty tough.

Are you looking for wargames or eurogames?

A two player eurogame set in Renaissance Italy that seems to work for 2 is this new game called Il Vecchio

Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648 Might be your cup of tea as a 2 player wargame. It's not set in Italy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Warrior Knights, not precisely renascence but Middle Ages but lots of diplomacy, politics and warfare.

Haven't tried Magnifico yet but seems what you're looking for, at least thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hagood
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
Oh... I made myself sad...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Gwent from Witcher 3! It just had a physical release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game I found is All is lost save Honour. This is an operational game of various campaigns of the Italian Wars. I'm not sure how much politics there is here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.