Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Larson
United States
Hartland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Dilbert Shrugged...
badge
I love the smell of burning bits in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the SpielFrieks mailing list Greg Schloesser pointed out something that completely escaped our group when we play this excellent game:

Upon passing you take back one-half the number of CHIPS rounded up. Hence, if you bid $3 with a $1 and $2 chip and pass, you would take back the $2 chip. This would seem to add some subtle twists to the bidding. It also makes the $2 chip something useful (I just thought they needed to create more money with only so much paper to print on ).

- Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And I believe there were responses that suggested Greg had misplayed the game as it was dollar amount (not chips) that were rounded.

A previous thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/72618) indicates that Uberplay has also confirmed that it is dollar quantity not chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rounding is for number of coin CHIPS--not dollar quantit
Then certain SpielFrieks pointed out that they were aware of the official rule but preferred the "erroneous" manner of playing it, noting that it made the choice of denominations have extra meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Rounding is for number of coin CHIPS--not dollar quantit
Does it?

Bid is 3 (2+1) - half chips, pays just the 1, half money pays 2.
Bid is 4 (2+1+1) - half chips & half money pay the same
Bid is 5 (2+1+1+1) - half chips, pays just 2 (1+1), half money pays 3

So, using the 2 chip, one can effective round down the payment instead of rounding up. Appears to make the decision easier and cheaper instead of more meaningful.

Only in the case of a singlet 2 chip bid, do I believe the number of chips to be at a disadvantage.

As I fail to see the agony or meaning of using the chip count instead of the dollar quantity, perhaps someone who plays this way can lay out a cleaner example so that I can see what you are seeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Larson
United States
Hartland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Dilbert Shrugged...
badge
I love the smell of burning bits in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has always played by counting the money and allowing players to make change for the $2. I think we'll give the Greg's interpretation a shot just to see how it plays. I don't see why UberPlay created the $2 coins. Have they commented on this? Was it just to save paper?

- Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.