2 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Make your opponents tremble helplessly with attack toy Artifacts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brunsomat chhhhchhhh
Japan
flag msg tools
I've played CE for years, but only recently saw how many awesome ideas are on the web about it. So I wonder, are me and my buds the only one who use attack toy Edicts/Artifacts? Back in the days of cardboard tokens, (and the Eon blank cards), it started with a little wind-up backflipping mouse that would (or maybe wouldn't) kick tokens off the attacked planet (thus banishing them to the Warp) one by one. Since then we were always on the lookout for things that could be used to attack tokens, but in a not too sure-fire way. The plastic ships need more robust devices, and in the FF version, an entire planet may end up getting pushed off the table (especially smooth ones) into eternal oblivion. There's something especially satisfying about physically attacking your hapless victim's ships! Really good toys might occasionally backfire, though! Toys that are too strong for planets (like my beloved tiny launchable Mecha-Godzilla) can be directed at the Warp instead- if any ships land on a planet they get a base. There's endless possibilities- Hexbugs are great because they change direction if you scream at them. It's good to set rules about how far away to attack from (calibrated to give the cowering ships on the planet a chance), or if planets can be rearranged first, etc. I'd love to know if anyone out there uses something similar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samu Lattu
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. I'd never thought of anything like that. I like dexterity games and understand the satisfaction you derive from physically doing something to planets and ships. (Ascending Empires has this worked into standard gameplay, though to a less creative extent.)

brunsomat wrote:
Hexbugs are great because they change direction if you scream at them.

I'd love to play with your group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.