Middle-earth» Forums » Variants

Subject: Which challenge deck to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Kamen

Brno
msg tools
Hello,

I would like some advice from more experienced players. I play MtG, but never have played MECG, I would like to purchase two or four challenge decks and try the gameplay with friends. I do not intend to play it professionally and update the decks, just occasionaly for fun as it is. Can you please give me a tip which two (or four) from these decks contains the most known characters (items, locations) from Hobbit/LoTR novels, has balanced power and funny gameplay? Thanks a lot:

A - Stewards of Gondor (Saruman)
B - Release the Prisoners (Alatar)
C - Dwarven Quest (Pallando)
D - Bargain Between Friends (Radagast)
E - Return of the King (Gandalf)
F - Spies and Traitors (Adunaphel)
G - Marauding Brood of Uglies (Dwar)
H - Stealthy Tribe (Hoarmurath)
I - Morgul Rallying Cry (Witch-King)
J - Seducing Nations of Men (Indur)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A to E are hero decks, I recomend those. F to J are minion decks (your avatar is a ringwraith).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have never played the game before, I'd advice you to limit yourself to decks A through E (that makes your deck selection limited to Hero-only decks and does away with some hero vs minion specific rules)

As far as those 5 go ...
A is definitely a fun deck but probably not the strongest. The hazard strategy is probably one of the easiest to play but not very strong and will probbaly give some kill MPs to your opponent.
B is quite strong, has some nice named characters (Elrond, Balin ...) and items (Orcrist, Gollum, Rangers of the North) and quite a strong hazard deck (corruption)
C has a weak company with tough spots to go to, and a hazard deck that won't do much against either deck A or B. Not so much of a fan of C.
D is strong, Radagast is arguably the best of wizards, but the initial company is hard to manage. Deck A's Call of Home will be your end. Deck C's hazards would be nasty too. The Hazards are quite good too.
E has the most rounded-out hazard portion but makes up for that by having the worst resource selection (including rings etc).

I'd say buy all of them, but if you really only want 2, I'd go with
B vs D

If you want 4, I'd go with A,B,D,E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Or read the Challenge Deck Player Aid to see which decks you like best (character- & themewise).

edited to fix link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
Or read the Challenge Deck Player Aid to see which decks you like best (character- & themewise).

I based my answer on this, should have added the source myself. Very nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Kamen

Brno
msg tools
Thanks everybody for quick and useful answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severijn De Wilde
Belgium
flag msg tools
I've bought these decks last year and I would recommend getting all the hero decks(A-E). Each of those decks play in a rather unique style from one another. If you are only interested in 2 or 3, I'd recommend A, B and E. B and E contain a lot of the well-known characters and are fairly easy to learn the game with. E may not be the strongest deck out there, but surely no collection of MECCG would be complete without a deck that goes out there to find rings.
From my games with people old and new to the game, I think deck A and D are the decks people enjoy the most. Especially A can be very rewarding to play, unless if you end up losing Adrazar in the the first turn all the time.

The minion decks are great too, but these decks are generally not friendly to beginners. Stick to heroes and then continue with minions if you feel like the game needs more rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Waldron
msg tools
I saw your post, and I have CDs, amongst other meccg items for sale. If you're looking for somewhere to buy CDs or anything else, let me know. I have just about everything available, Challenge Decks, Complete sets, booster/starter boxes (sealed ones as well as opened ones for a discount), singles, common/uncommon/fixed sets, bulk nonrares, etc.. And I generally will match my prices with the best available prices for each item. I have lots of refs on ebay, amongst other sites. You can contact me at jewelsterdefro@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Julian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.