Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first session report I've ever written. Here it goes, hope you enjoy:

My brother just bought Battles of the Ancient World, including all games from 3 volumes. We did so due to a resurgence of interest in ancient combat and on the advice of an experienced war gamer. my brother already played Arbela as Persia and lost to a mutual friend. We decided to play Cannae, Hannibal Barca's great victory over Rome. The results are such:

CANNAE:
I played Varus, the unfortunate Roman general. The rules forced me to press the attack in the center as was done in history. My forces advanced while I protected both flanks from Hannibal's cavalry. Unfortunately the Carthaginian cav destroyed my cav on the left, but my right cav pulled back. The attack on the center was a success, but failed to shred the lines. Hannibal's attack on my right was forced back and he failed to turn my left.
By mid game heavy losses had been suffered on both sides, but Rome held the advantage. The Carthaginian cavalry on the right was destroyed gradually. A final Carthaginian push on the right led to heavy losses for Hannibal.
Roman victory points: 100
Carthage: 99
Rome wins and Hannibal would probably have to retreat from Italy after his army stood on the brink of disintegration at Cannae.

BOUDICCA:
Once again I played Rome, but this time outnumbered and on the defensive against the Britons led by Boudicca. The Britons must destroy all the roman units in ten turns. As they surged forward my forces held the first defensive line. I kept my light units on the high ground of the left and my stronger units on the less defensivable right. The charge of the chariots and cav was repulsed at heavy loss for Rome. A bad beginning, but gradually the superior Romans inflicted heavy losses on the Britons. By turn four the Britons were committing their infantry. The left flank flattered while the right held. I committed my cav to the left, at which point the right started to buckle. I pulled back to the second line at turn seven as some isolated Romans were slaughtered.
Still all looked good for me.
The second line fell apart in a wave of Britons. By the end of the game one Roman unit remained. I wan again by a thin margin. On the brink of victory Boudicca's undisciplined forces, having suffered horrific losses, melted away. Her rebellion faltered, although it would take the Romans months even years to recover from such a pyrrhic victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.