Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Monster Tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonte Rydberg
msg tools
mb
Hello,
Im quite new to this game, and have only played mission 3 so far (even though Im pretty busy building 3D terrain (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1518062/dungeons-dragons-... :-))

Anyway, my question is about the Monster Tokens, as I understand it replacing the 1 monster per tile with drawing a monster token seems like a good improvement to the game (while keeping it quick and easy).
So I wonder if anyone can tell me the exact monster token distribution (from CoR I guess), and also if there are any good proxies for them.
Secondly, if you play with the monster tokens, do you add back drawn ones to the cup or not? I can see advantages to both approaches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/863426/number-of-monster-tok...

I haven't replaced the tokens back, so that it would slightly mitigate the chance of really good/bad draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference:

Monster_0 x9
Monster_1 x11
Monster_2 x6
Monster_3 x2
And LoD had one Monster_4 token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there monster tokens for all of the villains (in all 3 games) as well? That amps up the tension if some of those are in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:
Aren't there monster tokens for all of the villains (in all 3 games) as well? That amps up the tension if some of those are in the deck.

Additional random villains could be a bit too much in an otherwise balanced scenario. However if you use additional levelling rules or otherwise carry half of the treasure deck on your heroes, it could be a good way to make things hard again.

As I think that the four monster token makes things too fiddly and brutal (if one of the monsters is a legion devil, you could be facing 6 monsters that would activate before you), I've sometimes used it to mark the appearance of a special monster, a miniboss if you will. For example the special monster could be a BGG-made four experience monster, that does not have a proper plastic card, and thus cannot be spawned via the regular monster deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.