Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Minson
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend - he collects Marklin - in fact he has a vast amount of Marklin rolling stock.

I have been in a shop when he has spent £800 on a train and it's matching carriages - basically Marklin is expensive (Well after they have suckered you in with the 'cheap' starter sets) and don't even begin to talk about what some of the 2nd hand prices are!!

I reckon the most I have ever spent on a board game is around £120 (SPi's OOP Empires of the middle ages).

Now it seems to me that these Marklin train collecting enthusiasts generally seem to have more disposable income than the average boardgamer - so the question has to be asked do we want to risk encouraging them to become involved in our hobby?

For instance - Second hand game costs are likely to sky rocket - which will mean that :

- My copies of 'Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage' & 'Elfenroads' will significantly increase in value (Though this is really just imaginary money as I am very unlikely to sell them)

- I will never be able to afford certain other games that have been on my wish list for ages (ie 'Up Front' or 'Crude' - well to tell the truth Crude is probably already beyond what I am prepared to pay for a game)

I guess the question remains what can we do about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell whether or not this was written tongue-in-cheek. I'm assuming it was, since bringing train enthusiasts into the hobby would have no effect on game prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding more people to our hobby could have a positive impact on availibility of games. If more new people want older games then more reprints are likely to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
SkiBoy wrote:

I guess the question remains what can we do about it?

Ban 'em... devil

redtrainblacktrainredtrainblacktrainredtrain
Unless, of course, they play 18xx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Minson
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabro wrote:

Ban 'em... devil

Unless, of course, they play 18xx

Banning them might be a bit extreme - after all we do live if a free society (Well most of the time)

However monetary power (and I am not joking about that £800 train) is bound to have an effect on rarer games if there is a new influx of people into our hobby.

Maybe I am being just to pessimistic - but I love my hobby and would hate to be priced out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw a program on UK tv all about toys.

James May from Top Gear looked at the history of some famous toys (Lego, Meccano, Scalextric etc). The model railway collectors were the worst. One bloke had a large collection of model trains still sealed in thier boxes, he wouldn't take them out and he would never run them. In fact he explained how to spot if a train had been run on the track

This really annoyed James who went to a model railway auction, outbid everyone on a train that cost £200, then threw the box away whilst still at the auction house and took it home to play with it - brilliant.

These are scary people (and I thought BBGeeks could be a bit obsessive).

Garry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder should think about a "Deluxe Edition" that would appeal to the folks iwth disposable incomes. I wonder what those are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kucic
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Error
badge
Hi.
mbmbmbmbmb
SkiBoy wrote:
so the question has to be asked do we want to risk encouraging them to become involved in our hobby?

This is silly. Very silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.