Subject: Better Way to Manage Minion Wounds? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Putting down wound tokens next to all the little minions as overlord is just really clunky and unruly. Whenever you move them, you have to pick up all the tokens and move them too and when you have a lot of figures on the board it's kind of annoying.

Has anyone got a better system or some sort of advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the tokens on the monster card instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make your heroes learn to kill monsters with one hit.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

This would work especially well when you have a 1/1 max for that monster type — you can put the wounds at the top or bottom of the card accordingly. Harder to keep track when there are lots of minions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

what about if you have multiple minions? It's mainly a problem on like goblin archers or other things that have lots of figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Naga's. They have special place between their tails to keep tokens in.

You can paint a rune on base of each monster, then make a mat that you will keep next to each monster type, on which you will have the same runes. Put the damage next to each rune. It's a lot of work, and probably will be even more clunky than original system. Also players will probably have harder time connecting damage to monster.

With small groups and lieutenants you can just put wounds on cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a bag of small, red, rubber bands & drape them over the figure to track hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Triu wrote:
Buy a bag of small, red, rubber bands & drape them over the figure to track hits.

That's actually really clever. I think I like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we just stack the heart tokens under small minions, then just move the stack when the minion moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asdasd asasd
msg tools
mb
When I have a batch of monsters I need to keep track of, I place the heart tokens on top of fatigue tokens next to the monster card. Let's say there are 4 minion monsters on board. I will place 4 fatigue tokens next to the monster card and keep the position of the tokens in the same layout as the monsters are on the board so I will know which one is which. The little pile of heart tokens is easy to add/remove damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always place tokens next to the white figure, and on the card for the master(red) figure.
Usually I play with big mobs so not a pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just place the hit tokens next to the board where the minion is rather than on the board. They're much easier to slide along the table in-line with the minion they're associated with. So if we have 3 minions taking damage the tokens are near enough we can tell which has the hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has discussed using small "dots" on the bases (incorporated into the painting that is being done to the minis) to indicate "monster 1" (1 dot), "monster 2" (2 dots), etc... and then you can just keep the damage counters over on the monster card and always know which monster it's for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Historically speaking, there haven't generally been too many wounded monsters running around in our games. They have a tendency to die in the same turn they start getting hurt.

That said, in the times when I did need to track wounded monsters for extended durations, I was generally able to wedge to stack of wound tokens on top of the figure's base (between its feet or whatever) and move the whole thing as a unit in that fashion. Again, it rarely needed to work for long. =P

I do like the rubber band idea, though. Very innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triu wrote:

This is a great suggestion. We've used curtain rings in historic wargaming before plus coloured gems to denote shock or pin markers but I really like the idea of red bands thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bottle top rings work well (the ring you brake when you open a plastic bottle and are more sturdy then rubber bands you just need to look out for different colors normal kids drinks, we used them in D&D a few times to show conditions bloody and such

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian D.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this and this (in german, but really language-independent). It's really just replacing several wound markers with one tracking marker but I like it anyway, the art is pretty nice. And it was made for Descent 1st Ed. but should easily work with D2Ed.

Edit: But I like the rubber bands, too. Not usable for 1st Ed. Campaign though, as monsters easily have 10+ wounds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.