Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter is being designed for the 2013 Two-Player Print-and-Play Design Contest.

Have you ever dreamed of living in the glory days of England? In the days when the House of Plantagenet ruled in peace and had not yet been foolishly torn asunder by the brothers of York and Lancaster? In the days when the rulers of the England still spoke the language of Kings, Norman French? In the days when no royal court was complete without a highly skilled flatulist? In the days when no one would dare celebrate Christmas without a performance of "One Jump, One Whistle, and One Fart" to spread the holiday cheer?

Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter is set in the turbulent year of 1183, when King Henry II was struggling to keep him empire from falling apart as his two sons Henry the Younger and Richard I prepared to engage in civil war. Due to the high level of tension in the country, the need for flatulists to lighten the mood had never been greater.

In Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter, players will take on the roles of competing flatulists vying for the business of common taverns, noblemen, royal courts, and even kings. Players gain prestige for putting on successful farting performances but must always be learning new skills and eating gas producing food to stay in demand. Players must also choose political allegiance, for if one farts for Henry the Younger, Henry II may not welcome him into his court.

One player takes on the role of the experienced flatulist, Roland the Farter, and the other plays as Henry Tooter - a farting apprentice who is seeking to make it in the business on his own. Roland the Farter starts the game with more skills but is more expensive to hire because of them. Henry Tooter farts for cheap but must learn advanced flatulence skills quickly to compete with Roland. Players bid on available jobs and whoever will accept the lowest price yet has the skills to match gets the job. Players can also sabotage each other to negatively affect their opponents performance.

At the end of the game, the player with the most prestige will be selected to fart at King Henry II's Christmas Spectacular at the Château de Chinon and earn the right to live rent free for a year at the manor house at Hemingstone.

The game is currently in the early brainstorming phase. I will provide links to the game materials as soon as they are available so that all may play and enjoy.

Roland the Farter is one of the most famous flatulists in English history. I may be biased since I am a direct male descendant of his and heir to his farting prowess, but I feel that a game documenting his good life is long overdue. I humbly submit this game as a small token of my appreciation for his life, which has been the ultimate inspiration to me.

Update:
Entered into the 2014 contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter - designed especially for the 2013 Two-Player PnP Design Contest - Brainstorming Phase
Paul Boomer vs. Lord Windesmear.

And "Mr. Methane" on Britain's Got Talent:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter - designed especially for the 2013 Two-Player PnP Design Contest - Brainstorming Phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on this game in my spare time and I'm really excited by how it's coming together. I've been sketching out the cards and trying to achieve balance. For example, if a player eats imported fava beans (a delicacy in 1183 but one which a farter of Roland's prestige would have easily been able to indulge in), how much fart power should those beans give? Working out these values has been a great challenge.

I will soon be creating a deck of cards to actually try the game out. It will be hard to find another player since no one at the insurance office knows that I am Mr StinkyPants (and I'm not keen on them finding out) but I'm sure I'll be able to find someone at the game store in Cambridge. Based on my observations during my few visits to that place, the patrons are huge flatulence fans.

After I've played Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter for awhile and made sure that it both lives up to Roland's great legacy and is a blast to play, I will put some cards and the rules up here for others to try. There are a lot of games in this contest that look fun, but mine is the only about Roland the Farter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57, Mr. Methane is a hack and is an embarrassment to professional farters everywhere. Farting for the court of Qaboos bin Said al Said of the Omani Royal Family in 1997 is one of the highlights of my life, but I can't tell anyone about it because they immediately think of Mr. Methane dressed up in his crass suit. He is hurting the art form.

Sphere, I've played Gassy Gus. I don't want to speak badly of any games that promote farting, but let's just say that Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter is a superior game.

To everyone else, this thread is now the 3rd result on Google for searches of "Roland the Farter." I never dreamed I'd even make the third page, much less the third result! I'm excited to think of all the people who will find this game when they search for Roland the Farter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is with heavy heart that I must announce that my game, Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter, will not be ready in time for the contest. Obviously, this will come as a shock to those of you who have been anxiously awaiting its release. (However, the news may be met with a sigh of relief from the other entrants in this contest who no longer have to compete against one of 2013's most anticipated games.) Despite many hours of playtesting and fine-tuning, the game just doesn't meet my high standards for general release yet. But fear not, friends! Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter may be out of the contest but it is not dead. Far from it! I will continue to diligently work on the game and will submit it to the world at large as a FREE print and play game when it is ready.

For future development news, please continue to follow this thread.

Godspeed to the other entrants. I am now cheering you on from the sidelines rather than competing with you. It is my sincerest wish that each of your two-player games finds as great of success in the world as Mr StinkyPants Presents: Roland the Farter will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Glad you are at least working on this! I am looking forward to unleashing this on some of my favorite 13 year olds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent the weekend researching Henry Tooter so that I could improve his character during the game. I read "Family Secret, Family Shame: The Life and Failures of Henry Tooter" by Elizabeth Tooter Huxley, graciously loaned to me from the Huxley estate library.

Henry Tooter was an accomplished flatulist in his own way. I suspect that had he lived at any another era, he would have been regarded as one of the greats. Unfortunately for him, he was a contemporary of Roland the Farter and as such will always be remembered as an antagonist Salieri to Roland's Mozart. Nonetheless, I think players will enjoy the challenge of playing him as a character and trying to change the course of flatulent history. Last week, my brothers at the Society of Roland tried a prototype version of the game and were shocked to find Tooter provided a formidable challenge to Roland.

And yes, you read the above name correctly. During the Regency Era, Elizabeth Tooter did in fact marry into the Huxley family. She was the Great-Great-Great-Great Grandmother of the great Yale flatulist, Reginald Huxley III. Many people are shocked to discover his lineage, but he felt that his accomplishments were more noteworthy considering the stigma of his ancestor. He often said that, "It took 900 years, but Tooter Blood has finally made good!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose all of you are asking why this game was never released. The story is long and full of political intrigue. The short version is that The American Chapter of the Society of Roland loved the game and were ready to give the game their full approval. But before doing so, they presented the game to the Most Worshipful Grand Farter of the England Grand Lodge. We were all shocked and saddened when he decided that the game overstated the achievements of Henry Tooter and threatened my membership in the society if it were ever to be published. We explained to him that the nature of the board game required both sides to be roughly equal so that both players could enjoy the game. He replied that if people wanted to play a board game, they could do as God intended and play Fart The Game and he would hear no further discussion on the subject. Once the Grand Farter had spoken, the American Chapter withdrew their support and refused to be associated with it.

I have petitioned the Most Worshipful Grand Farter reminding him that I am the direct male heir of Roland the Farter and as such should have the right to release a game based on my ancestor. I have yet to receive a reply.

That is where things stand. I am considering rethemeing the game to be about the Italian Braigetori but none of them are as famous or personally relevant to me as Roland the Farter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.