Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Post
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If a ship flies into an hex that is owned by another player, and then takes it over with no ship opposition (e.g. by neutron bombs), does the player draw a rep tile for combat?

P.S. My apologies if this has been posted before, I searched for it but couldn't find anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You only get a draw if you fight for it. Killing defenseless population is not a fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
No. You only get a draw if you fight for it. Killing defenseless population is not a fight!

Apparently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Canada
flag msg tools
Anyone have a source for this? The rules seem to include population bombardment under fighting, before drawing reputation tiles. This seems to imply that a single tile is drawn by both sides. Whether bombarding population is considered fighting seems semantically unclear in this context - the tile is still being contested. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agoodspellr wrote:
Anyone have a source for this? The rules seem to include population bombardment under fighting, before drawing reputation tiles. This seems to imply that a single tile is drawn by both sides. Whether bombarding population is considered fighting seems semantically unclear in this context - the tile is still being contested. Thanks.

It's written on page 20 of the rules...last paragraph of the Attacking Population rules...which I have copied and pasted below...

Destroyed cubes are returned to the defeated
player’s Graveyards of the corresponding
color. The cubes are returned to
their respective Population Tracks in Cleanup Phase (see
page 24). If a cube is destroyed from a gray (wild) square,
the owner may choose which Graveyard it goes to. Similarly,
if a cube is returned from an Orbital, you may return
it to either the Money or Science Track. Destroying Population
Cubes does not grant Reputation Tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes, I agree that destroying cubes does not grant tiles. However, participating in combat grants one reputation tile (regardless of whether you destroy any ships). This seems to leave open the question at hand - do you draw one tile after an attempted bombardment?

I do not have the rules in front of me, but as I recall it attacking population is a part of the combat phase, hence my confusion. There seem to be subtle distinctions in the rules between "battles" and "combat" and "the combat phase". If battles are the dice rolling, and the reputation tile is drawn only for battles, then it is fairly clear that you do not draw. If a reputation tile is drawn for combat, then it would seem that you draw one. Note that the description of reputation tile drawing comes after the bombardment, seeming to imply that it depends somehow on the bombardment - but it begins (as I recall it) with the same sentence (after all battles have been resolved, or something to that effect) which seems to subtly indicate that they are independent.

I've changed my mind on this a few times now. If you have the rules with you I'd appreciate some help. Otherwise I'll try to parse it once again next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I put it.
There is a Combat Phase after Action Phase.
During Combat Phase, every player who take part in a combat, of course after the corresponding combat, draw at least 1 rep tile (as long as he does not retreat).
After the combats end, if a player does not participate in a combat, but is on other player empty hex, he may destroyed the cubes by rolling normal attack dice or automatically if he has a neutron bomb.
This means the destroying of the cubes happens outside the combat, but still on the combat phase.
The drawing of REP tiles also happens in the combat phase, but after each combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't, see:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8596207#8596207
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8206369#8206369
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7849101#7849101

(Added to the unofficial FAQ)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Canada
flag msg tools
That's definitive - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.