Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't help but notice the updated information here detailing War Stories: Red Storm, and the newly revealed expansion plans for the series.

Desert Rats!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/136232/war-s...

Rattenkrieg!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/136231/war-s...

This is great news Conquistador!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the tentative timetable:

Kickstarter Feb 2013:
War Stories: Red Storm, Release Date: Aug 2, 2013
War Stories: Liberty Road, Release Date: Nov 22, 2013

If you Kickstart both games, they will ship at the same time in November. Or you can choose free pickup at a con we are attending (WBC, BGGcon, etc...) or pay a small fee for them to ship separately. Those who have already pre-ordered will be rewarded for their loyalty with a package not available on Kickstarter.

War Stories: Rattenkrieg
War Stories: Desert Rats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquistador Games wrote:

Kickstarter Feb 2013:
War Stories: Red Storm, Release Date: Aug 4,2013
War Stories: Liberty Road, Release Date: Nov 2013

If you Kickstart both games, they will ship at the same time in November. Or you can choose free pickup at a con we are attending (WBC, BGGcon, etc...) or pay a small fee for them to ship separately. Those who have already pre-ordered will be rewarded for their loyalty with a package not available on Kickstarter.

War Stories: Rattenkrieg
War Stories: Desert Rats

February? I guess it's to late for January...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, with the risk of sounding like a complete n00b, what's Kickstarter? I've always wondered that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sylvestris wrote:
Ok, with the risk of sounding like a complete n00b, what's Kickstarter? I've always wondered that

Google is your friend!
http://kickstarter.com?ref=bggforums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game series is starting to look real interesting Francisco. Thanks for the updates!

A quick question: The descriptions for Rattenkrieg and Desert Rats state that Red Storm is a required to play them. Liberty Road does not, and I was wondering if that was a mistake or if it is a standalone game.

Thanks again, looking forward to the Kickstarter (seriously considering making this my first KS pledge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No typo. War Stories: Red Storm and War Stories: Liberty Road are both standalone games. War Stories: Rattenkrieg and War Stories: Desert Rats will be expansions to Red Storm and between them will cover the entire mid-war. Each standalone game is going to feature the Germans versus their primary adversary at that stage of the war. The expansions will focus on the secondary fronts or particularly interesting battles. If you combine all the sets together, you'll basically have every major unit represented with no undesirable duplication or overlap.

Blocks are much nicer than counters but they're also heavier and more expensive. We're offering a TON of value with our products, but we can't represent all the units for a theater in one package. Imagine all the counters in Combat Commander or an ASL module being blocks. It would be massive. We felt the best solution is to offer affordable packages ($59 MSRP) that are complete standalone games, yet include a generous quantity of those units most associated with that campaign. For instance, it's not Kursk unless the Germans can field an entire platoon of Panthers. Some units like snipers had to be removed from the War Stories: Red Storm package to make that work. Though snipers existed on all fronts, we felt it worked better thematically to introduce them with War Stories: Rattenkrieg. Thus expansions like War Stories: Rattenkrieg and War Stories: Desert Rats serve two purposes: 1) They introduce new rules, maps, scenarios, assets and units specific to that campaign 2) They enhance the original game because they expand the range of units that are available for the base game you already own.

We're also going to offer booster packs if people want to field company sized formations of their favorite units. But between the base game (Red Storm) and the two expansions (Rattenkrieg and Desert Rats), you should be able to field every asset, gun, or vehicle that was fielded in an appreciable quantity by the Germans, Soviets, British, Italians, and Romanians in 1942-43.

It's not official yet, but logically there would an expansion for Liberty Road to include the Soviet late war units. Then if you really want to project down the road, there would be an early war base game with expansions that would cover all units from Poland through Barbarossa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of doing war fronts or theaters of operations as add-ons or if required as new standalone products. This allows for refreshening of the basic game system, and can lead to increased anticipation for the next "installment". As mentioned, this also allows developers more time to do these expansions justice as far as their content and quality is concerned, and can help companies sustain themselves over time (and so to be there to service their customers into the future).

Although we've waited for Pocket Armies - now War Stories - for a long time, it's meant that the game has developed into something with more potential now than certainly it could've been before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyXwire wrote:
I like the idea of doing war fronts or theaters of operations as add-ons or if required as new standalone products. This allows for refreshening of the basic game system, and can lead to increased anticipation for the next "installment". As mentioned, this also allows developers more time to do these expansions justice as far as their content and quality is concerned, and can help companies sustain themselves over time (and so to be there to service their customers into the future).

Although we've waited for Pocket Armies - now War Stories - for a long time, it's meant that the game has developed into something with more potential now than certainly it could've been before.

I like this approach as well. As someone who just unboxed copies of Columbia Games' EuroFront II series (east/west/euro), it's very nice when publishers develop expansions in such a modular manner. I could have settled and simply picked up EastFront II without purchasing the other two theater boxes, but the collector that I am just "had to have it all". Even at a small discount, all three boxes cost $225 as a bundle (about $74 and change per expansion).

Obviously, this type of impulse spending isn't for everyone, both in respect to the cost and the commitment. I really like the production timeline Conquistador has laid out for War Stories, as I think it will help players test the waters and get their feet wet before deciding whether or not they want to dive in head first and buy every expansion. Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) has done something similar in so far as offering two standalone box sets (ATB and Storms of Steel), with a third expansion (Price of Honour) supplementing either box set, regardless of which one you already own. Together, all three combine to offer you dozens of firefight scenarios. Individually paired, they offer a different set of firefights which appeal to players interested in exploring certain campaigns or periods of war.

I'm very happy to see the same attention to detail, and consideration for the player, given here with War Stories. It feels reassuring that the publisher, and the designers, have really put a lot of effort into supporting the series beyond the initial release.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lugburz wrote:
I'm very happy to see the same attention to detail, and consideration for the player, given here with War Stories. It feels reassuring that the publisher, and the designers, have really put a lot of effort into supporting the series beyond the initial release.

laugh

I can't lie - Dirk and I have batted around configurations and packages for years before we finally settled on this. For a while it seemed like a Gordian knot but we're actually very pleased with how straightforward the final packages are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't wait to get my hands on this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Navander
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Conquistador Games wrote:

Kickstarter Feb 2013:
War Stories: Red Storm, Release Date: Aug 2, 2013
War Stories: Liberty Road, Release Date: Nov 22, 2013

Will Conquistador Games attend Essen Game Fair 2013?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Navander it is 50-50 at the moment. For the purposes of the Kickstarter campaign you should assume not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.