Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poorly written rules may have turned many off, but if so, they're missing a great game and now would be the time to pick up a bargain on E-Bay. This one is totally unique. Like no other game I've played. That in itself is not a selling point, however, unless the game is equally good. And IMO it is. I think it is a gamer's game, with lots of nice decisions and lots of interaction. It is fun to play, but a bit daunting to learn. I definitely put it in my top 5 for 2005.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but it has also gotten some mediocre reviews.

The issue for me is, I spent $50 for the game and the components (1 box, 1 board, a small bag of wooden pieces, & some cards) are well below value for what I expect to get at that price. I really haven't felt this 'unclean' buying a game since the Victory Games days.

I really think the price point for this game should be about $20-25 retail.

Between the mediocre reviews and the poor component value, the auctions prices don't surprise me in the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah i would have loved to buy this game but i cant justify paying US$50 on it. $30 is the highest id go on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foreword: I like this game.

Problems: (original) rulebook structure and wording, bad finishing on cards (printer's and not author's fault), simple graphics on the board.

Solution: read Zman games or my summary before reading the manual; use card sleeves for cards (but you *always* and *already* protect every game you own, don't you?); the board is not worse than many spartan boards of other games (take augsburg 1520 for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, but it's insanely difficult to grasp initially. It's not really the rules fault though. It's just got many tough concepts to grasp.
I learned the game with two people who'd played before and I still had a rough time wrapping my head around the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a better set of rules for download from the Z-Man Games website (on the Siena page).

This game is awesome - long and difficult to get into first game, but just a very different experience. This is not a game I will play regularly - but I am very happy to have it in my collection because it is a well crafted and strangely interesting game. If you do give this one a shot - take the time to savour it like a fine wine

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I did not care much for this game; despite being clever in its use of a painting it just felt artificial and very contrived, and from some point onwards it reminded me uncomfortably of the Game of Goose. My girlfriend Had To Have™ this game after she saw the huge demo boards at Spiel 2005, and was sorely disappointed these did not come with the tiny box.

Did the rules destroy this game...? I don't think so, not completely, in any case. They were tough to digest, true, but the only confusing part was the beginning where you must purchase cards. After that the rules got better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.