Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can only "while driving on a straight a car may only change two lanes." Is this on one roll or on the entire straight? e.g. Can I end my turn switching two lanes to the left and then the following turn switch two back to the right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In one roll.

Note that the rule is not very well formulated, as you could be forced to change more than two times when passing traffic.
It should instead read: "On straights, you must take the shortest route from start to finsh of your turn (on the straight)". This formulation restricts you to make maximally two lane changes under normal conditions (which the original formulation aims to), and also covers those occasions where you overtake (which the original formulation ignore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been confused by the meaning of "shortest route". Can I change lanes to setup for a curve or must I stay in one lane if it's the shortest, by count of spaces, between my start and finish points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is the shortest route on the straight part of the move, so you can change lanes.

Assume you start your move on the inside lane of the straight leading up to the curve.
You roll enough to go into the curve, but you would like to enter the curve on the outside lane.
This is ok, providing you take the shortest route possible from the starting space on the straight (the inside lane) and the ending space on the straight, which is the last space in front of the curve in the outside lane.

Here is an image from the Masters rule, which can be found here: link
Masters Rules, section 7-3-4 entering a corner wrote:

7-3-4-1 Car B can go through C and then D.

7-3-4-2 Car A cannot go through B and then C (violation of article 7-2-3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taalmod wrote:
Note that the rule is not very well formulated...

The hallmark of this rulebook. I always wonder how such relatively simple rules could be written in such a confusing and ambiguous manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
taalmod wrote:
Note that the rule is not very well formulated...

The hallmark of this rulebook. I always wonder how such relatively simple rules could be written in such a confusing and ambiguous manner.

I just got this game and I agree!

So on the straight I can only change two lanes? Not just one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can at least change two lanes.
You can change more than two, if you are forced to due to blocking.
Note: that it is possible to go left-right when you are overtaking a car and would like to end in the same lane again afterwards.

Note 2: If you play with slipstreaming, a slipstream move counts as a separate move with regards to hte lane change rules.

Normally, you will change at most two lanes on the straight part of your move.

It sounds tricky, but if you remeber you must always take the shortest path on the straight, you will be fine.

Have fun driving :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
taalmod wrote:

Really?!?! So what's the point of having blocking if it can be avoided?!?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
taalmod wrote:

You can only be blocked if there is no way for you to get around by changing lanes or following any sequence of allowed arrows on a corner. In my games, complete blocking almost never happens in straights, but happens often in corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Ryan Keane wrote:
taalmod wrote:

You can only be blocked if there is no way for you to get around by changing lanes or following any sequence of allowed arrows on a corner. In my games, complete blocking almost never happens in straights, but happens often in corners.

So you can change lanes more than twice to escape being blocked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
taalmod wrote:

So you can change lanes more than twice to escape being blocked?

Yes, but you can't abuse it.

The spirit of the rules is that you can't zig-zag back and forth to shorten your distance covered on a straight. If there is no way through a blockage, you can't just change lanes a ton to shorten your distance before reaching the blockage. But when there are some lanes blocked but one or more paths through, you can change the minimum number of lanes needed to get around all the blocks and end in the lane you want - this minimum number may exceed 2.

For example, if you start your turn in the left lane, and the left and center lanes are blocked by 2 adjacent cars, you can change 2 lanes to the right lane, pass the blockage and change back 2 lanes to the left lane where you wanted to be. That's usually the maximum number of lane changes needed on a straight, although with multiple cars spaced apart in different lanes, in theory you would need to zig-zag a bunch to get past them. Because cars in front go before you, there is rarely a case when you are passing a bunch of cars on a straight and need to zig-zag around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.