Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: 4-Player Chapter 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm playing M&M with 3 other people and I just read through Chapter 2's premise. Frankly, I'm quite worried. By the looks of it, the player who controls Lily will be on Autopilot during the whole game with the exception of the last Tile. Am I right in thinking this?

All she'll be doing is fighting one Roach every new tile her group encounters. How is that fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its a quick chapter, and it gets tense for lilly if she misses the roaches and they pile up, be be honest shes not doing that much different from the other mice really..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palamino wrote:
Hey all,

I'm playing M&M with 3 other people and I just read through Chapter 2's premise. Frankly, I'm quite worried. By the looks of it, the player who controls Lily will be on Autopilot during the whole game with the exception of the last Tile. Am I right in thinking this?

All she'll be doing is fighting one Roach every new tile her group encounters. How is that fun?
This has been discussed before a couple of times. Some people really like how this one plays, while others feel the Lily player gets short shifted in the game play department.

My suggestion to anyone bothered by this chapter is to simply add a mouse to the party and have Lily be automated. If doing this, instead of removing one minion from the group encounters, leave those encounters intact and just add a roach to Lily's tile each time the heroes have an encounter.

From our observations, players seemed to enjoy the chapter more when somebody actually plays Lily, so I would assign her to one of the players and have them control 2 mice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I'm a little worried this is causing you to worry.

Just let Lily's player also control the enemy (bar the ones attacking her) and they'll get plenty of die rolling action.

I played this as Lily with my wife, daughter and a friend. We played RAW ... and I and everyone else had plenty of 'fun' ... maybe I'm just easily pleased
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.

The whole mission is to rescue Lily so she can become part of your party. We never once thought that she should be assigned to a player. We just rotated playing her actions just like the other monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Hmm.

The whole mission is to rescue Lily so she can become part of your party. We never once thought that she should be assigned to a player. We just rotated playing her actions just like the other monsters.
Yes well we don't force anybody to play with a specific number of players, we just list the number of mice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played this Chapter once so far and loved it - even though we got several of the rules wrong! It's a very nice set up with the need to rescue Lilly a real driver. The denouement for us on the final crystal chamber tile with 3 rats and skitter-clak was epic - our mice went from Chapter 1 to out of time in a matter of minutes given a surge and three mice captured - those rats were armour clad!

Would be interested in people's views as to the correct final tile set up in this other thread here: [thread=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/908396/chapter-2-final-tile-...]here[/thread].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Palamino wrote:
Hey all,

This has been discussed before a couple of times. Some people really like how this one plays, while others feel the Lily player gets short shifted in the game play department.

My suggestion to anyone bothered by this chapter is to simply add a mouse to the party and have Lily be automated. If doing this, instead of removing one minion from the group encounters, leave those encounters intact and just add a roach to Lily's tile each time the heroes have an encounter.

From our observations, players seemed to enjoy the chapter more when somebody actually plays Lily, so I would assign her to one of the players and have them control 2 mice.

I love this suggestion, but wouldn't that make the final confrontation... A Lot less epic in terms of difficulty? I suppose, I can just grant the bad guys a Surge for the sake of difficulty and put Lily as the 1st on the initiative track for that clash. I suppose that would make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Followup,

I read through the rulebook, and a Similar instance happens in Chapter 9. Does one of us just control the bad guys?

Also, In the occasion that we re-visit a room in M&M due to requirements of backtracking (Like in C1 after the achievement), do we encounter the room again and fight more monsters, or do we simply skip that tile and go to the next tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palamino wrote:
To Followup,

I read through the rulebook, and a Similar instance happens in Chapter 9. Does one of us just control the bad guys?

Also, In the occasion that we re-visit a room in M&M due to requirements of backtracking (Like in C1 after the achievement), do we encounter the room again and fight more monsters, or do we simply skip that tile and go to the next tile?

Chapter 9 is specifically written as a 3 player chapter. I added it because I wanted to tell this particular part of the story. The story book originally had ten chapters.

When you explore into previously cleared tiles, you do not have another encounter. Just travel through in the regular manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palamino wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
Palamino wrote:
Hey all,

I love this suggestion, but wouldn't that make the final confrontation... A Lot less epic in terms of difficulty? I suppose, I can just grant the bad guys a Surge for the sake of difficulty and put Lily as the 1st on the initiative track for that clash. I suppose that would make sense.
mice and mystics is odd in that there are a couple of ways of losing. Having another mouse and some additional minions should still balance out. The cheese wheel wil fill at a similar rate and that will drive the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Palamino wrote:
To Followup,

Chapter 9 is specifically written as a 3 player chapter. I added it because I wanted to tell this particular part of the story. The story book originally had ten chapters.

When you explore into previously cleared tiles, you do not have another encounter. Just travel through in the regular manner.

Thanks for that, sir. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do for when we hit the 9th Chapter? I don't think we can include another Mouse for that one (Seems like the story would be unrealistic). Does one of us just have to sit that Chapter out? Or is there an alternative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is to play 9 and 10 at the same time. It would take some, a lot of, juggling, but since in the story they happen together it might be a blast.

Rough ideas on how to do this:
If you have two games its easy, if not then:
Proxy a second wheel.
Play on one board at a time for each group.
Proxy extra minions as needed.

If that doesn't appeal then skip 9 and just play 10, and assume that Colin succeeds in 9.

Or have one player control the minions in 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it yesterday with 4 players and we had the same feeling. Plus the player playing lily was a new player as the other three already started playing the campaign with some other characters. Will try your advice and put Lily on automatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a general thought related to the above discussion... we've had fun in our games when there was an "odd player" by using that player to control the minions only. To extend that notion to this discussion, that same person can also control Lily (which was already mentioned in one of the posts in this thread).

The first couple games I particpated in, I was the "anal rules guy", so I volunteered to be the "odd player" (yes, that's a double entendre). I controlled the minions, managed the story control board, was the "banker" for wound and cheese tokens, etc. Had a blast.

Plus for Ch. 2, I also contolled Lily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.