Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the game and still have a few questions after being introduced to the Challenge Decks:

1. Is a wounded character considered tapped also? (ie can a wounded character be used for cards/actions that require a character to be tapped first ie playing resources at a site, influencing, testing rings, playing other abilities of a character etc)

2. When testing for rings, does the gold ring have to be in the possession of the character doing the test? or does the ring just have to belong in the testing character's company? (ie with Gandalf, does he have to be in possession of the gold ring to test it or not? if not, does the ring have to be in possession by a charcter in Gandalf's company, or can the ring be in possession in a different company to Gandalf- even at a different site?)

3. Company A is at a non-Haven site (with auto-attack capability) and intends to stay there and not move. Company B decides to move FIRST to same site as A. Company A then must join with Company B (if at a non-Haven site... otherwise can chose to remain separate).

The question is, when do the 2 companies join?
i. AFTER the M/H phase for both companies and just before the SITE phase?
ii. as soon as Company B makes it safe following B's M/H phase?

If it's the latter (ie ii), if Company B moves FIRST, and joind with A, then during Company A's M/H phase, the does the opponent target Company A only? or will it be targeting Company A+B?

If targeting the newly combined Company A+B, then what is the hazard limit? (that of Company A's or the combined company's?)

4. Following on from question 3, if an on-guard card was placed on the site (now common to both companies) during either or both of the company's M/H phase, during the SITE phase if the newly combined company decides to enter the site, do the on-guard cards affect the original company it was played on? or on the newly formed one?

If the latter (ie newly formed one), to which company's hazard limit does the on-guard card count towards? to the individual company it was played on or the hazard limit of the newly formed company?

5. Regarding Allies, can they be used... :
i. only during attacks in the M/H phase?
ii. during auto-attacks before entering a site during the SITE phase?
iii. to take on allocated strikes following an attack?
iv. to tap just before a strike is resolved to provide +1 prowess to another character or ally in same company?
v. to tap to enter a site with an auto-attack?

6. Regarding Detainment Attacks keyed to Dark-domains, Shadow-holds, Dark-holds, or regions/sites by name of these types... does this only apply when the attack is against a Minion company, or also to Hero company too? ie are all attacks on a Hero company that chose to stay at Moria (a Strong-hold), considered detainment attacks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) A wounded character cannot tap. Wounded is worse than tapped, it has all the attributes of tapped and then some.
2) Just in the same company. Remember that during the site phase (or at the end of the mov/haz phase, I can't remember) all companies at the same non-haven site combine into one company.
3) Ah, darn it. I already stated in (2) that I can't remember this. I think it is 3i, not 3ii. you definitely cannot use company A's hazard limit to play cards against company B. It is either at end of mov/haz phase of all companies, or at beginning of site phase before auto-attacks. There isn't much difference between the two options I give. You'll never play cards against a company A+B, that is impossible.
4) The newly formed one. You can even have multiple on-guard cards which will all affect the newly formed company, one card per original company. E.g. company A+B+C can face 3 on-guard cards, one played for company A, one played during company B's mov/haz phase and one played during company C's mov/haz phase. Each of these cards counts against its own hazard limit.
5) the ones with prowess/body can be used as if they are ordinary characters during combat. The ones without prowess body can only give bonusses to fighting characters.
6) Only for minion companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee that was quick Kris!!

Thanx for clearing these questions...

In regards to question 3, I'm still not completely clear. I'm wondering whether the order of playing out the M/H phases makes a difference.

ie if Company A does it's M/H phase first, the hazards only affect it. During Company B's M/H hazards affect it, and when B arrives at A, the 2 companies must combine (assuming it's a non-Haven site)

If B did it's M/H phase first, hazards are played, then B arrives at A. The two companies then combine. When it comes to Company A's M/H phase, are hazards directed to only A or A+B?

If in this case hazards are aimed at A only, the question then arises as to when exactly do the 2 companies combine? at the end of the moving company's M/H phase or at the beginnig of the SITE phase? (in which case companies are only deemed to be AT the site at the start of the SITE phase, and hence only combine together during the start of the SITE phase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions:

7. when playing characters into play, I understand that they can be played:
- as general influence, at Havens or at their Home Site
- if Wizard in play, as general influence at any Haven or Home site, if the Wizard is also there.

Regarding playing characters though using direct influence, can they be played at any site, with a Wizard that still has free direct influence?

What about at any site with another character with free direct influence?

8. Regarding testing for rings:
i. once the specific ring is identified, does this tap the bearer of the ring and/or the site it occurred at?
ii. does testing happen only during the SITE phase? or can it occur during any phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdafilli wrote:

In regards to question 3, I'm still not completely clear. I'm wondering whether the order of playing out the M/H phases makes a difference.

ie if Company A does it's M/H phase first, the hazards only affect it. During Company B's M/H hazards affect it, and when B arrives at A, the 2 companies must combine (assuming it's a non-Haven site)

If B did it's M/H phase first, hazards are played, then B arrives at A. The two companies then combine. When it comes to Company A's M/H phase, are hazards directed to only A or A+B?

If in this case hazards are aimed at A only, the question then arises as to when exactly do the 2 companies combine? at the end of the moving company's M/H phase or at the beginnig of the SITE phase? (in which case companies are only deemed to be AT the site at the start of the SITE phase, and hence only combine together during the start of the SITE phase)

A and B only join at the end of both M/H phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdafilli wrote:
A few more questions:

7. when playing characters into play, I understand that they can be played:
- as general influence, at Havens or at their Home Site
- if Wizard in play, as general influence at any Haven or Home site, if the Wizard is also there.

Regarding playing characters though using direct influence, can they be played at any site, with a Wizard that still has free direct influence?

What about at any site with another character with free direct influence?

8. Regarding testing for rings:
i. once the specific ring is identified, does this tap the bearer of the ring and/or the site it occurred at?
ii. does testing happen only during the SITE phase? or can it occur during any phase?

7. If you play a character under another character's DI (direct influence) it doesn't matter where the wizard is (or whether he's in play), but the haven/home site restriction still applies.
8.i. Neither.
8.ii. Any phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx Jose... that's probably cleared most things for now ;P

The Challenge Deck Rule Book hasn't been all that easy to decipher, and some bits appear incomplete... what's the latest collection of rules/FAQs/Errata that is recommended to be able to play the game and that even includes rules for the all the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdafilli wrote:
Thanx Jose... that's probably cleared most things for now ;P

The Challenge Deck Rule Book hasn't been all that easy to decipher, and some bits appear incomplete... what's the latest collection of rules/FAQs/Errata that is recommended to be able to play the game and that even includes rules for the all the expansions?

Sadly, there isn't an official document which includes all rules from all expansions. But an unofficial effort has been made:

http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15...

Still, the best place to find all official rules is still this:

http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/

(click on the rules section on the left menu).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also look for the extended example of play using the Saruman & gandalf challenge decks. don't have a link, but I heard it was written by a really cool guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx again guys for quick responses...

Will look into the rules suggestions/sites too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Adriaens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jose-san wrote:
sdafilli wrote:

A and B only join at the end of both M/H phases.

From the rulebook:

Joining Two Companies at a Non-Haven Site
During the organization phase, two companies may move to the same site, but one of the following cases must apply:
• One and only one company may already be at the site. In this case the other company must state that its new site card is already in play (the current site card for the non-moving company).
• One company moves to the site using the site path on that site card (i.e., the company starts at the site's nearest Haven), and the other company moves to the site using region cards for its site path. In this case, both companies must state that the same face down site card is their new site card.
In both cases, the two companies must face hazards separately and are then combined at the end of the movement/hazard phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, Ronny

I've been using the Challenge Deck rule book and since looking at the more extensive rules, I can see why we have been having difficulties with the game... The Challenge Deck rule book just glosses over some of the rules (especially movement) , are not complete, doesn't mention other rules and/or assumes you have played before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.