United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that there haven't been any posts yet about the final book in the WoT series which was just released.

although, I guess I'm not that surprised, since few, if any of you probably finished it. Just wondering what everyone else thought about it (if any of you read it).

For those of you who didn't- here's a quick review of the ending of the massive work:

For all of you who want to know how the wheel of time series ended, a quick review of the last book (spoiler alert):

It was written by someone else (brandon sanderson), which became obvious when there were no instances of:
1) Paddling
2) People being silenced by a look
3) 30 page desciptions of breakfast served by a former queen who has been reduced to a servant
4) lengthy histories of the Aiel
5) Paddling

It's almost like it wasn't a wheel of time book at all. People travelled around and did stuff. Don't worry though, every random-ass character added in the last 13,000 pages makes a cameo (along with the town where everyone kills each other and comes back to life the next day).

turns out Mat's battlefield genius is useful, perrin's frienship with wolves has some sort of value, and Rand's ability to do walk around and be magic is cool too. Also, he continues to be a really terrible negotiator.

Also, Rand is actually BFFs with the foresaken- who are pretty dumb and not at all scary, two whole new races of people are introduced and in a Shakespearean-like ending, pretty much everyone dies (but don't worry, some of them come back to life).

There- I just saved you from reading 15,000 pages. also, the wheel keeps on turning, so we'll have another series soon (look out George RR Martin).

'tldr- the bad guy lost, and the good guy won in kind of a boring finale. (also, eradicating evil is just as bad as if evil wins; life is a duality)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to finish, but how can I quit with 12 books done and only two to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
I don't want to finish, but how can I quit with 12 books done and only two to go?

I actually like the sanderson ones better than most of the RJ ones. The last two are a quick read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmb
This just reinforces how glad I am that I never read any of the series, and now I don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
We all gave up years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually started reading again because I love Brandon Sanderson's writing. After reading his Mistborn series I had to see what he was doing with Wheel of Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

If you are marginally interested, you might just want to read the wikipedia summaries for some of the later books.

Although book 8, 9 and 10 can be summed up by 'women paddling each other'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
I actually started reading again because I love Brandon Sanderson's writing. After reading his Mistborn series I had to see what he was doing with Wheel of Time.

I loved the first mistborn book. I thought the writing was very clever, and the world well-developed and very cool.

The next two weren't quite as good, but I thought the 4th 'sort-of' sequal was kind of dumb.

I'm excited for his Way of Kings series, but planning on it being 10 books from the beginning is fairly ambitious, and makes me wary about continuing to read them (and why the hell did I start it knowing it was planned for 10 volumes- I should have just waited to see if he finished).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

If you are marginally interested, you might just want to read the wikipedia summaries for some of the later books.

Did someone set alight the grail-shaped beacon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

Just went there. I think I got to book 7, after which he started doing them every 2 years. I tried to read the synopsis, but the names are so "out there" I couldn't tell if I read the book or not!
Remember, this was 12 years ago when I read them.

I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Am I the only one to think it would have been better if the series had died with whatsisname?

(and I'm being generous here by not wishing whatsisname dead in 1990)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.