Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to three members asking about three different trades. None of the members contacted me back and it has been a few days. This is my first time emailing people asking about trades so I was wondering if this is pretty typical? Do you usually not hear back from members about trade offers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some geeks do, some don't. I like it when they do. I don't when they don't.

One thing to remember is not every member is here for "community." They may have plenty of commmunity, they may have enough community, they may not want any community. It's all their choice.

Something you can do to increase your chances is look at someone's trade numbers. If they're high, they're a trader. If not, they're not.

What are you trying to trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Some geeks do, some don't. I like it when they do. I don't when they don't.

One thing to remember is not every member is here for "community." They may have plenty of commmunity, they may have enough community, they may not want any community. It's all their choice.

Something you can do to increase your chances is look at someone's trade numbers. If they're high, they're a trader. If not, they're not.

What are you trying to trade?

Well I read somewhere that it was better to pm and ask before sending a strait up proposal. I also read to check when people logged in and everyone had logged in that day. I was offering Thebes for Carson city. I also offered cave troll and cash for stronghold. I definitely think they were reasonable offers. Thanks for your help and input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading here is very hit or miss in terms of who responds and who doesn't. The key is to just keep trying different people. Checking last logon and their trade numbers are the two critical things to do, which you did. Just keep trying. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep trying but without pestering. It's very hit and miss. PM is definitely the way to go though, it's easier to negotiate without getting locked down in the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Well I read somewhere that it was better to pm and ask before sending a strait up proposal.
This is true.
Quote:
I also read to check when people logged in and everyone had logged in that day.
Also good advice.
Quote:
I was offering Thebes for Carson city.
Fair enough.
Quote:
I also offered cave troll and cash for stronghold.
I assume you're checking what the trader wants in trade. I'm also assuming you're offering $20-$30 for this trade.

First. If they don't answer back and you know they were on today, move on. A trade probably isn't going to happen. It might, and you'll be pleasantly surprise, but move on to Plan B.

The problem I see in the Cave Troll + $$ for Stronghold is Cave Troll is a 6.2 game and Stronghold is a 7.4 game. Stronghold has 553 geeks wanting and only 84 geeks trading. Cave Troll has 230 geeks trading and only 98 wanting.

Even if your guy says he wants Cave Troll, it probably isn't for Stronghold. Even for money. Reason being Stronghold is soooo wanted, he can wait for a higher ranked and rarer game.

Do I wish everybody answered Trade Scouts? I think 90% of geeks do. We've all been where you're at. Just keep at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
yatescory wrote:
Well I read somewhere that it was better to pm and ask before sending a strait up proposal.
This is true.
Quote:
I also read to check when people logged in and everyone had logged in that day.
Also good advice.
Quote:
I was offering Thebes for Carson city.
Fair enough.
Quote:
I also offered cave troll and cash for stronghold.
I assume you're checking what the trader wants in trade. I'm also assuming you're offering $20-$30 for this trade.

First. If they don't answer back and you know they were on today, move on. A trade probably isn't going to happen. It might, and you'll be pleasantly surprise, but move on to Plan B.

The problem I see in the Cave Troll + $$ for Stronghold is Cave Troll is a 6.2 game and Stronghold is a 7.4 game. Stronghold has 553 geeks wanting and only 84 geeks trading. Cave Troll has 230 geeks trading and only 98 wanting.

Even if your guy says he wants Cave Troll, it probably isn't for Stronghold. Even for money. Reason being Stronghold is soooo wanted, he can wait for a higher ranked and rarer game.

Do I wish everybody answered Trade Scouts? I think 90% of geeks do. We've all been where you're at. Just keep at it.

Thanks for you help and advice! You seem to have a good idea of how trades work! I do feel like I have a good grasp of what a fair trade is. I did offer fair trades and even if I didn't I would have thought people would have at least replied with a no thanks or a counter. It was just strange that no one responded. Even though cave troll isn't as sought after it is sold out at a lot of places and was labeled as a must have priority item for this person. You think I'd get some offer since I offered cash with it. Thanks again for the advice...I'll move on from those offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
You may wish to check this out: Flea Market 27: And a Happy New Flea to Everyone (for January 2013)

I would say 99% of the time the person will answer you either in the comment section or directly via a Geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue
yatescory wrote:
...I would have thought people would have at least replied with a no thanks or a counter. It was just strange that no one responded. Even though cave troll isn't as sought after it is sold out at a lot of places and was labeled as a must have priority item for this person. You think I'd get some offer since I offered cash with it. ...
I hear ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're discouraged with the response ratio from trade offers, try offering trades to the geeks who own this microbadge: mb

(Just click on it and there will be a list of people)

Good luck! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.