Subject: How to handle France if it's conquered NOT with Case Yellow? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Social WorkerMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Blocks in Afrika fanMicrobadge: Golden Session ReporterMicrobadge: I like learning games more than winning them!
If Germany conquers France by occupying all of its cities, then if I read the rules correctly Vichy remains and active Western minor? If that's so, can Vichy recieve replacements as an Allied Minor and/or through option cards? If so, I would expect that colonial replacements would enter in Africa and/or Syria? Is there any way for non-colonial units to return to the game prior to the WAllies liberating a French city? Would a partisan base allow French units to return?

Or, am I completely off on all of this?

Many thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
true cricket
France
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: I play games upside downMicrobadge: Fire in the Lake fanMicrobadge: Leaving Earth fan
fatgreta wrote:
If Germany conquers France by occupying all of its cities, then if I read the rules correctly Vichy remains and active Western minor?
Exactly. (16.1.1, part 2, specific to France)

Quote:
If that's so, can Vichy receive replacements as an Allied Minor and/or through option cards?
Only throught Allied minor and political events like "Military Aid", since I didn't found any card with "French reinforcement", but only cards with "France".
Remember that Vichy is a different country of France, and when something is common to the 2 countries, the word "French" is used instead.

Quote:
If so, I would expect that colonial replacements would enter in Africa and/or Syria?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there any way for non-colonial units to return to the game prior to the WAllies liberating a French city?
Except from going against (what I think) the spirit of the rules by building up then breaking down the French multi-steps army.

Quote:
Would a partisan base allow French units to return?
No since France and Vichy can never be "Conquered Minor Country", which is a prerequiste for placing partisan base.

Or, am I completely off on all of this?[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Social WorkerMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Blocks in Afrika fanMicrobadge: Golden Session ReporterMicrobadge: I like learning games more than winning them!
true_cricket wrote:

Quote:
If that's so, can Vichy receive replacements as an Allied Minor and/or through option cards?
Only throught Allied minor and political events like "Military Aid", since I didn't found any card with "French reinforcement", but only cards with "France".
Remember that Vichy is a different country of France, and when something is common to the 2 countries, the word "French" is used instead.

Quote:
Is there any way for non-colonial units to return to the game prior to the WAllies liberating a French city?
Except from going against (what I think) the spirit of the rules by building up then breaking down the French multi-steps army.

I don't think that's accurate, is it? The glossary says "The word “French” is used to refer to something that could belong to either France or Vichy."

So I believe that "1 French Step" refers to Vichy afterwards. Below is a response from CSW that I found very helpful, which indicates that, among other things, once a city in France is liberated, regular French 1-step units can be taken as replacements. I understand your thinking about the combining of colonial units into the 3-4-2 unit, but I don't believe it's contrary to the spirit of the rules. Other nations have the same option, I don't see why France wouldn't.

The CSW post, responses to me in bold (from Jay Muchnij, who is visage here on BGG I believe):

If Germany conquers France by occupying all of its cities, then if I read the rules correctly Vichy remains and active Western minor?

Correct.

If that's so, can Vichy recieve replacements as an Allied Minor and/or through option cards?

Well, remember that Vichy isn't France, and I'm failing to remember offhand the existence of any Western cards that provide Minor Country steps directly. But, yes, Vichy is eligible to receive Western Minor Country replacement steps.

If so, I would expect that colonial replacements would enter in Africa and/or Syria?

Correct.

Now that colonial multisteppers can only be broken down into colonial units, I don't believe there's a mechanism to get Vichy non-colonials into the game before the liberation of a city in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls