Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really looking forward to Trace Amounts and the Jinteki bump, it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm already hankering for a deck... So I pulled this one together to get theorycrafting...

This deck is built to go sideways. So first it will drop non-plain ETR ice on centrals. Then every turn, it'll either lay ice on remotes (without anything in them), or drop 3 remotes, or advance any of those by 2 or 3 advancements, depending on the runner rig setup.

The outcome is then thus: triple advanced traps or agendas that flatline or decimate programs, or a 2 advanced agenda/trap behind a matrix analyser, or a neural katana with an agenda/fetal AI behind it.

It'll be extremely risky, and extremely bluffy, but that's where 3 tricks of light come in. Missed traps can be salvaged and out-of-hand scores will be possible. And there's 3 Zaibatsus there.

The point is to make just about every run life-or-death. It only will take one hit to kill.

The biggest problem is the Ice selection. Going out of faction is very difficult, and I've decided that Snare doesn't really do this deck justice - can't be advanced, and 4 to do 3 damage is borderline inadequate. Though as I play it I'll try to see if people will start running zero-counter face-downs just to get to junebugs before they get pumped up. (drop and double advance would take care of that, though, especially behind an analyser)

Identity:
Jinteki: Replicating Perfection (Trace Amount)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (9)
3 Braintrust (What Lies Ahead #14)
2 Fetal AI (Trace Amount #32)
2 Executive Retreat (Trace Amount #39)
2 Nisei MK II (Core #68)

Asset (14)
3 Melange Mining Corp (Core #108)
3 PAD Campaign (Core #109)
3 Project Junebug (Core #69)
3 Zaibatsu Loyalty (Core #71)
2 Aggressive Secretary (Core #57)

ICE (20)
3 Matrix Analyzer (Core #89)
3 Neural Katana (Core #77)
3 Enigma (Core #111)
3 Shadow (Core #104)
3 Wall of Static (Core #113)
3 Wall of Thorns (Core #78)
2 Rototurret (Core #64)

Operation (6)
3 Trick of Light (Trace Amount #33)
3 Hedge Fund (Core #110)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might discover that you end up having a slight "clicks problem". You have a lot of things that you want to be doing in one turn, but at the same time you've got 3 melanges. I'm interested to see if it will work, but I'm suspecting that you'll either be playing assets without being able to protect and advance them at the same time, or you'll be making mélange money which will make your hand very susceptible to HQ runs, which can trash your assets before you play them. This is going to be exaggerated because all your ICE cost a 3-4 on average, so you'll find it hard to defend your centrals along with your remotes effectively.

Also, you're going to have nightmares about someone playing Mimc against you. They will break more than half your ICE with a 1-2 credits each!

Also, Account Siphon or Vamp will hurt you very very bad. If they manage to drain your credits, it'll be open season for all your traps.

PS: You've got 6 ICE doing traces, but nothing to do with the tags. You sure you don't want to swap your Nisei with PSF? Since you're going horizontally, you're not going to have a big glacier that might benefit from Nisei's ability, so it'll only be effective against the occasional stimhack, siphon or maker's eye run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Arnold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i've been running a very similar deck lately-- it's super fun, but it has some of the problems you'd expect. you're right that ICE selection is difficult in this build, and for that reason i'd reconsider matrix analyzer. any savvy runner is going to jack out after they see you advance the card they're approaching after an analyzer advance, and w/ the shadows holding agenda counters for trick or light, the analyzer won't take you anywhere you can't go w/o it.

i also run 3 snares in my deck, both to protect my hand when i'm flooded AND to drop as remotes (occasionally). snares can really become viable traps in a deck like this, especially after the runner sees you get "lucky" and score a lightly protected braintrust early on. leaves your opponent feeling VERY jumpy cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
You might discover that you end up having a slight "clicks problem". You have a lot of things that you want to be doing in one turn, but at the same time you've got 3 melanges. I'm interested to see if it will work, but I'm suspecting that you'll either be playing assets without being able to protect and advance them at the same time, or you'll be making mélange money which will make your hand very susceptible to HQ runs, which can trash your assets before you play them. This is going to be exaggerated because all your ICE cost a 3-4 on average, so you'll find it hard to defend your centrals along with your remotes effectively.

Also, you're going to have nightmares about someone playing Mimc against you. They will break more than half your ICE with a 1-2 credits each!

Also, Account Siphon or Vamp will hurt you very very bad. If they manage to drain your credits, it'll be open season for all your traps.

PS: You've got 6 ICE doing traces, but nothing to do with the tags. You sure you don't want to swap your Nisei with PSF? Since you're going horizontally, you're not going to have a big glacier that might benefit from Nisei's ability, so it'll only be effective against the occasional stimhack, siphon or maker's eye run.

I think I agree with the PSF, Nisei is just such a nice card, and one of the uses I have for it is to bluff an agenda - I would still hope to have one big-ish remote, and if the runner gets through it, I can end it, "confirming" that it's an agenda. Some runners jack out after the run to test your rez/no rez. I can leave it wide open, not rez, and laugh maniacally, hopefully.

But yes PSF may just fit the bill better. Hmmmm.

The theory behind the remotes is to play 3 ices before dropping stuff in them. And before that, make sure the central ices are out. The ID effectively turns remote runs into a +1 ice run.

waite wrote:
i've been running a very similar deck lately-- it's super fun, but it has some of the problems you'd expect. you're right that ICE selection is difficult in this build, and for that reason i'd reconsider matrix analyzer. any savvy runner is going to jack out after they see you advance the card they're approaching after an analyzer advance, and w/ the shadows holding agenda counters for trick or light, the analyzer won't take you anywhere you can't go w/o it.

i also run 3 snares in my deck, both to protect my hand when i'm flooded AND to drop as remotes (occasionally). snares can really become viable traps in a deck like this, especially after the runner sees you get "lucky" and score a lightly protected braintrust early on. leaves your opponent feeling VERY jumpy cool

IF the savvy runner is trained to jack out after an analyser, then it's perfect time to score that agenda in 2 turns. This deck is really all about those big 50/50 bluffs. They have to hit 3 agendas to win. I only have to land one big trap. Trap go bad? I get a fast advance.

That's the concept anyway. Yes the economy hurts massively, and I hope that the runners aren't gonna trash my pad campaigns (let's see), and I hope I get enough out of melange to have fun, but nothing is certain, and I still look forward to more cards to do this idea better

(Now if only TA would just arrive on my shores. GRRRR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Arnold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
agenda behind analyzer is definitely a viable trick, i just don't think it's worth the six influence and three card slots, especially since you can't really threaten the tag. you're right that the deck usually comes down to 50/50 bluffs-- one turn in which the runner has a shot at two remotes and they have to pick the right one-- but you can set that situation up pretty reliably just with trick of light and advancement counters on the board (shadow, traps, etc.)

like you said, Jinteki has some ICE problems, so if i'm using 6 inf. to splash ICE in a Replicating Perfection deck i'm looking around for something that can either better protect my remotes or make my centrals more threatening to run against.

but i can definitely see the tricks analyzer opens up and i'm curious to see what they yield in your playtests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After re-looking the concept I decided... Screw analyser, I'll just go back to Personal Evolution to squeeze the most damage out of everything I do.

And to hell with sideways Icing - I'd rather build a big remote, load it with as much as I can (but it'll never be as secure as other decks - which plays into the advantage of the traps), and spread other stuff out on remotes sans defence (like good ol' Jinteki do anyway).

So squeezing the most damage out of the deck, I've gone for the 10 x 2 point spread. 3 Fetal AIs and 2 Snares provide the blind hits that should help. If unluckily Neural Katana'd, a fetal AI or Snare could kill. Rototurret + Neural Katana is a cool early game double bluff which could make runners lose their minds (run naked or with a program? I dunno!), Akitaro is there to build the big remote cheaper (in-jinteki economy is hard to come by, and I got no influence for adonis), and maximising the threat of traps with Aggressive Secretary should make running more dangerous for the runner.

So it's still a trap heavy deck, it's still about dropping stuff almost naked, but it's also able to defend something just enough so that the runner don't just walk into remotes - they have to pay to get in - but they CAN get in.

Thoughts welcome

Remember to take along a dice to decide things on the fly

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (10)
Fetal AI (Trace Amount) x3
Nisei MK II (Core) x3
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x1

Asset: (12)
Aggressive Secretary (Core) x2
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Project Junebug (Core) x3
Zaibatsu Loyalty (Core) x2
Snare! (Core) x2

ICE: (19)
Enigma (Core) x2
Neural Katana (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x2
Wall of Thorns (Core) x2
Chum (Core) x2
Rototurret (Core) x3
Ice Wall (Core) x2
Tollbooth (Core) x3

Operation: (6)
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3

Upgrade: (2)
Akitaro Watanabe (Core) x2

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 7
Jinteki: 32
NBN: 6
The Weyland Consortium: 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, since you're going to be going for a glacier, it means you're not going to have protection for your secondary assets. This means you become vulnerable to Bank Jobs.

Your naked traps are also going to be much more vulnerable. Are you planning to play them empty and advance three times, or play and advance twice?

I'm not sure just 3 Melanges are going to be enough economy. Also, given how many agendas you have, your HQ is going to start getting stuffed with them while you're using melange. In general I think your HQ is going to be a prime target, so protect accordingly.

I'm not sure about the Rototurret+Katana double bluff. Against Jinteki, people will either run naked and eat the Katana, or run with a sentry breaker, and defeat both it and rototurret. It will only work in the case where people are prepared to eat the Katana and play their non-sentry breaker so that they don't lose it. Let us know how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.