Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
In other words, could I make PnP/DIY planets and ships for the extra player(s), and a PnP/DIY Destiny Deck, and be ready to play?

Also, how does the Large Group add-on work? Must it always be added when playing with 7-8 players? If so, that would mean PnP/DIY-ing the whole Cosmic Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's only the ship/planet components and destiny cards you need for more players.

You don't need the Large Group add-on for 7-8 players, it's just extra encounter cards, but, depending on the aliens you draw, there's a higher chance of a cosmic quake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing stopping you from creating DIY components to expand your player max. For each additional player, you will need:

1) A new set of 20 ships
2) A new set of 5 planets
3) A new score marker
4) A new set of 3 matching Destiny cards

The Large Group cards from Cosmic Alliance are intended to pad out the Cosmic Deck for groups of 7+, just to make sure there are enough cards in the deck to go around without constant Cosmic Quakes. They aren't truly *required* but they do help players in larger game have access to a wider range of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy an Expansion, *any* Expansion. You won't regret it. Not only do you get real components, the extra powers are very worth it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Just buy an Expansion, *any* Expansion. You won't regret it. Not only do you get real components, the extra powers are very worth it.

-shnar

I agree. If you get only 1 expansion, make it Cosmic Incursion, without a doubt. The Rewards Deck is the most solid of the add-on variants (IMHO), the included aliens are cool and the orange player-color looks good on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
The only reason I haven't bought an expansion yet is because I have yet to even play it. I know I'm gonna like it, but buying an expansion is not justified at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter expansions are always justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
doctor poo wrote:

Even if you haven't played it? >_>;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiscoCokkroach wrote:
doctor poo wrote:

Even if you haven't played it? >_>;

yes, the grandfather of expandable games, why do you think it's so popular after almost 40 years? You can never have too much Cosmic.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I didn't buy all the expansions with my base game is that there were no expansions released at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
You can never have too much Cosmic.

...Hmm....

*looks on Amazon Prime for Cosmic Incursion Conflict/Alliance*

*says it can get here by Friday for ~$25 USD*

*has five people coming over on Saturday to play Cosmic (which means a 6 player game)*

*has $25 USD directly in front of him*

...it is mighty tempting :|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it! Do it NOW!!!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
If I had to choose between Conflict or Alliance, which should I get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiscoCokkroach wrote:
If I had to choose between Conflict or Alliance, which should I get?

Conflict. I think you should buy them in release order, if possible. The earlier ones have better aliens, IMO. Of course, they're all awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot, Ben. I'll get Conflict. I would get Incursion now if I could have it by game day (this coming Saturday), but Amazon Prime doesn't offer it and everywhere else is too expensive. But it's Cosmic, and you can't go wrong, can ya? :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
Figured I'd tell y'all that I ordered Conflict last night, and it will be here tomorrow, just in time for game day. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiscoCokkroach wrote:
Figured I'd tell y'all that I ordered Conflict last night, and it will be here tomorrow, just in time for game day.

Cool! Hope you all have a great time! Let us know how it goes.

In case it hasn't been said before, I would personally recommend not using either the Tech or the Hazard variants for your first few games. Let the players have time to learn the core of the game first before introducing all the variants.

With any luck, I'll get a chance to play this weekend as well...*crosses fingers*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used Tech (seems like a distraction) and only once used Hazards (probably won't use again). The best mechanical add-on so far has been the Reward Deck, the others just seem to distract from the core game. So yes, it's a good idea to leave those variants to the side for your first few play throughs.

-shnar

P.S. Jordan, sorry to hear about Peter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Verbiest
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the techs are indeed a distraction, we used them once and never again. We do use Hazards a lot though, can lead to hilarious chaotic situations, and that's what CE stands for right?
The reward deck is always part of the game with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leto2626 wrote:
...We do use Hazards a lot though, can lead to hilarious chaotic situations, and that's what CE stands for right? ...

It's only a personal assessment and I've only played with Hazards a couple of times but that's because I found them a little too much even for me. CE already has a lot going on with Alien Powers, Artifacts and Flares that Hazards seem to just twist the knob off. Certainly, I think some Hazards are less disruptive than others but there are some that can throw the game way off course if they come up.

But, yes, if you want even more chaos in your Cosmic, Hazards will certainly deliver! It's not something I would want all the time but it might be a good way to change things up every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me among those that find Tech a less-than-exciting addition to the game. They're kinda fiddly for what they add to game dynamics, some feel very derivative of other effects, and a couple are almost useless. We will use them once in a blue moon, but then afterwards we go "yeah, won't need to to do that again for a while."

They don't break the game, but they don't really elevate it, either. You are not being forced to eat canned spinach, nor are you getting a yummy dessert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Cokkroach
msg tools
mbmb
So, I played IRL Cosmic for the first time yesterday, and all I have to say is, "Classic Filch flare for the win."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.