Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
A good friend of ours introduced Dominant Species to my Significant Other and I last weekend. It was a 4-player game.

I found the game a little chaotic depending on i) the Dominance Cards drawn, ii) who managed to snag the Dominance Cards and iii) on whom are the cards used on (usually on the leader to pull him/her back into the chasing pack). I can imagine this will be exacerbated with 5 and 6 players.

What we both liked a lot about the game is the theme and the rest of the gameplay. We played the 2nd edition and looking it up online, we found the 3rd edition with much improved artwork. zombie *Salivate*

Having read through some of the forums here, I found out that the game is more strategic with 2 players. Primarily because of the greater control. That alleviates my concern on the chaotic play.

Our other consideration was game length. Most of our games have long play times and we would like to get a game that is playable in 2 hours. Our 4-player game took maybe 3.5 hours. As before, the forums here suggested that with 2 players, 2 hours or less seems to be the norm (assuming rule familiarity).

Based on the above research, we have decided that our next board game purchase will be Dominant Species (preordered with a local shop)!

Onto my main questions. This is for BGG-ers who usually play this game as a 2-player game.

How do you set up your 2-player games? Is it necessary to ensure that the two animal types picked are adjacent to each other? Would picking animal types directly opposite of each other reduce player interaction drastically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with my partner, we mix it up with the animal choices. Sometimes they end up close together at the start, and sometimes far apart. It makes almost no difference as to level of interaction though. Speciation can have you putting cubes down anywhere despite having nothing in the immediate vicinity beforehand. And if one player tries to turtle in a particular part of the map, they are especially vulnerable to glaciation. And these are just two of the subsystems that come to mind that encourage interactivity, no matter what starting locations are chosen. If you look through the Dominance cards, and just get a feel for the general flow of the game after your first game or two, you'll get a much better understanding of how starting position doesn't affect the long term development of the game all that much, despite it having some affect on what actions are more useful in the very first turn of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We shuffle the tiny animal pieces (the squares that site on Initiative track) and pick one. Random is fun. It ensures you never know what you're going to get, and makes you try to maximize your animals advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing with the official variant where each player plays multiple animals and the winner is determined by only considering each players' lowest scoring animal. These matches have been surprisingly tense. However, I do think the game really shines with 4+ players.

You just have to embrace the chaos or play the cardless variant (where cards are only used as a timer, but not for their effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Dugal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played quite a few 2-player games of DS and like it just as much. It has a very different feel. I don't agree that 4-player is less strategic. To me, a 4-player game is more about survival (seeing what could hurt you the most and insuring that you mitigate the worst-case scenario, while two-player is more aggressive (screwing over your opponent is just as useful as not being screwed).

As Paralipsis said, any 2 animals will work just fine. It won't take long before you're fighting each other for sexy sea tiles.

Hopefully you will have different results but I'm afraid my 2-player games are NOT shorter than my 4-player ones. The two modes have a similar number of actions to take in a round but with 4 you have more time to think about your next move before it's your turn to play, so it generally plays quicker in my experience. I've had absolutely EPIC 4-hour 2-player duels.

In any case you have made an excellent decision. I was amazed at how well DS plays with only 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back wrote:
I played quite a few 2-player games of DS and like it just as much. It has a very different feel. I don't agree that 4-player is less strategic. To me, a 4-player game is more about survival (seeing what could hurt you the most and insuring that you mitigate the worst-case scenario, while two-player is more aggressive (screwing over your opponent is just as useful as not being screwed).

As Paralipsis said, any 2 animals will work just fine. It won't take long before you're fighting each other for sexy sea tiles.

Hopefully you will have different results but I'm afraid my 2-player games are NOT shorter than my 4-player ones. The two modes have a similar number of actions to take in a round but with 4 you have more time to think about your next move before it's your turn to play, so it generally plays quicker in my experience. I've had absolutely EPIC 4-hour 2-player duels.

In any case you have made an excellent decision. I was amazed at how well DS plays with only 2 players.

Is it necessary to play 2-player with two species each? How is it with just one species each? I'm thinking of buying the game for me and my wife to play, but concerned about how it works with 2-players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nishchay Kumar
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Back wrote:

Is it necessary to play 2-player with two species each? How is it with just one species each? I'm thinking of buying the game for me and my wife to play, but concerned about how it works with 2-players.

It plays really well with 2 players, its not necessary to have multiple animals, My usual gaming partner is my wife and she loves the theme and the effects of dominance cards. This is an absolute must buy. The game scales well from 2-6 players(using the AP with great effect). I have never played more than 2, which i hope to change this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Is it necessary to play 2-player with two species each?

No. The default - and recommended - way to play is always with one animal per player.

There exist optional rules for (advanced) players to try out in which they can control multiple animals, but they are just that: *optional*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info: 2-player good!

Second question: It looks very Euro, but I've also seen a couple of references saying it's very 'cut-throat'. A little vicious interaction is tolerable for my wife, but not too much. Is this game going to have me sleeping on the sofa? cry

I'm actually on the fence between DS and Keyflower for my next buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Second question: It looks very Euro, but I've also seen a couple of references saying it's very 'cut-throat'. A little vicious interaction is tolerable for my wife, but not too much. Is this game going to have me sleeping on the sofa? cry

We have since gone on to purchase the game. Most of our plays are two-players with one animal type each. That works well and I echo the views above.

As for the bit about it being "cut-throat", that's true as well. At least for us. We are ok about it because we remind each other this is just a game. Nonetheless, she does seem a little sad when I remove some of her species (for whatever reason). ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.