Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm traveling from Florida to Missouri on Monday to visit my family for the holidays. I REALLY want to bring a copy of Railroad Tycoon to play while I'm there, I know some of my family would enjoy it. Appears to be too late to order online, so I'm looking for a game store on the way up that might carry it. The biggest cities I'll be passing through are Little Rock and Memphis. Can anyone recommend a store in either place that is likely to carry Railroad Tycoon? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi, I'm in Memphis and we have zero game stores left. Barnes and Noble does carry some games from Fantasy Flight and Eagle (I've seen AoM there before), but I've never seen Railroad Tycoon. I just called one of the stores for you and they do not have it. Sorry, but there just ins't a game store in Memphis anymore. Memphis is very regressive anyway, so it doesn't surprise me. But, good luck with Little Rock... Actually, now that I think about it there is a game store in Little Rock... Yep, found their www address:

http://www.gamezonealpha.com/

Brian might have a copy. The phone number doesn't work, but you may want to shoot an email or call for assistance. Good luck.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great, thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very unlikely the one in Little Rock has it for a price you will be willing to pay.

The only store in all of Arkansas I'm aware of is over near Baptist hospital in LR and it is primarily a CCG store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Memphis is not regressive, its just that every game shop that has come in has not managed it well. There was one that was promissing, but he had a lousy location.

In the five years I've been here I've seen three stores come in and go under. And two that were here when I came here went under as well. The only one left is Comics and Collectibles (http://www.tncomics.com/pages/1/index.htm) which is mostly comics and rpgs.

As far as I know, there is not a game store open in Memphis. However, there is one in Jackson, TN called Gamescape. I'm not sure what they carry, they were primarly Games Workshop & CCG last time I was there. They are just off the interstate, call for directions: (731) 664-1078

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gibson
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Yep, found their www address:

Brian might have a copy. The phone number doesn't work, but you may want to shoot an email or call for assistance. Good luck.

Alan

Game Zone Alpha burned down, literally the strip mall went up in flames, and is no longer in business. There is a game store in Sherwood on J.F.K. just north of N. Little Rock and there is another game store on Rodney Parham in Little Rock but I doubt either one has Railroad Tycoon.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rats, guess I'm out of luck. Makes you realize how marginalized our hobby is when you can't buy the "hot new game" anywhere in the southeast US! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Luthien wrote:
Hi, I'm in Memphis and we have zero game stores left. Barnes and Noble does carry some games from Fantasy Flight and Eagle (I've seen AoM there before), but I've never seen Railroad Tycoon. I just called one of the stores for you and they do not have it. Sorry, but there just ins't a game store in Memphis anymore. Memphis is very regressive anyway, so it doesn't surprise me.

Really?? I grew up in Memphis and I was there a few years ago and there were a couple of game stores. One was in East Memphis (I forgot the name, but it had a good selection) and another one in the city of Memphis off Poplar Avenue. Have both of them closed??

I'm not sure what you mean by Memphis being "regressive". If by that you mean "economically depressed", I completely agree with you. Memphis has always been that way, I believe. Go Tigers!

I went to graduate school in Memphis. It's too bad that you don't have good game stores, but you do have Cracker Barrel--do you still have Po Folks?--fried catfish, biscuits & gravy, great bookstores for theology students (or did they go the way of the game stores?) and Elvis, who is still working at a 7/11 on Union Ave. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brown
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't Railroad Tycoon being sold in WalMart? If so, should be no shortage of them in AR, since we have a couple hundred to choose from. I would try one of those first, unless you refuse to shop at the Evil Empire. The 2 stores Mark mentioned are relatively new, and still building their stock and their customer base. The one in Sherwood is your best bet at the moment, the other just re-opened with a new owner after Thanksgiving. The old owner is now running a shop in Christchurch, NZ, or he might have had a copy or two. As for Memphis, my dealings with stores there definitely gave me the impression of gross mismanagement. Of course, I got some great deals there because they were incapable of promoting anything but Magic, and so they clearanced a lot of other things that were hard to find here in AR and elsewhere. It would be truly scary to walk into a well run Memphis hobby store, especially since it is unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brown
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually went by Imagine today on JFK, and they do have Railroad Tycoon if you are still in town and wanting it. That's one heavy box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MGibster wrote:
Luthien wrote:
Yep, found their www address:

Alan

Game Zone Alpha burned down, literally the strip mall went up in flames, and is no longer in business. There is a game store in Sherwood on J.F.K. just north of N. Little Rock and there is another game store on Rodney Parham in Little Rock but I doubt either one has Railroad Tycoon.

Marc

It is back in business over in Jacksonville, AR.

620 West Main Street
Jacksonville, AR

The website still works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Melton
United States
White Lake
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hosting Board Game Night @ The Bat Cave Cards and Comics in Conway for about a year now. We meet at 7pm on Tuesday nights and 3pm on Sunday afternoons. If you participate in Board Game Night, the Bat Cave owner gives a 10% discount on board games and board game supplies, which is awesome.

As this goes to print, there are about 5-8 core players and any number of others who show up on a regular basis. It's a very warm group. We'd love more, as long as you bring a friendly attitude! You're welcome to bring your own games also.

If you're just looking to swing by and grab a game, the number for the store is 501-329-2939 if you want to call ahead to ask about a game you're looking to pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliva Blackwater
msg tools
Most of the central Arkansas stores are great. Here is a list of the ones I have been to.

Game Goblins - Very clean and professional store in Little Rock. It feels like a chain store (which is not a bad thing). The staff are pros and know how to treat a customer. If there is something you are wanting, chances are it is in stock and waiting for you to get it. They just got a new location and it is HUGE. A must see when in the area.

Imagine Hobbies and Games - Very small shop in Sherwood (North Little Rock). Guy who runs it named Jay is a very nice guy and is always fun to talk to. His staff is hit and miss. Very old location and parking kind of sucks but otherwise a good store that seems to care about the community. He seems to always has the most fun and exciting prereleases. Lots of themes and parties!

Mizewell Games - Conway has always had a curse for game stores. None of them seem to be very successful or stay open very long. This one has stayed open the longest. Very big store, huge gaming area, lots of product. Owner seemed nice enough even though there are a lot of rumors that he was involved with someone who represented his store trading fake magic cards (all this is hearsay and is not proven) Still makes you worry about buying anything there that is not sealed.

Stage 2 Games - this store (in Cabot) is a video game store first that has now moved to a HUGE location and now are starting to do tabletop. Very nice staff, cool location, lots of parking. TVS and couches set up to play video games if you need a break from table top. Has big plans for the future of the store and the community. Highly recommended.

Geex - A very small store in Searcy. The owner seems nice enough. The store is in a kinda sketchy part of town. Store is old and seems a slight bit in disarray. Not a huge selection but it is a small store doing the best they can with what they have. Playgroup has always been friendly and I really do wish it success.

The Game Store (aka Game Zone Alpha) - Store in Jacksonville that is now in the location of the old Hastings. If I could put into words how bad this store is I would. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!! The owner had to change the name of the store and step away from running it because of the horrible name and reputation the old store name (Game Zone Alpha) had. New name, same shady owner and business. This store is a cancer for the bad blood and hatred between all of the stores and has single handily shattered a strong gaming community that is just now starting to rebuild itself with the other stores. Constant drama coming from the owner and the staff, whether you asked to be a part of it or not. Also good luck actually buying anything you want. The owner thinks its a good idea to buy 20 cases of stuff no one asks for but need a copy of the hot new item everyone wants and that every other game store has in stock, NOPE! Sorry. Come in next week thinking they reordered and have it, NOPE! And its always 900 excuses why they done have it, meanwhile every other store has it constantly stocked ready to be bought. In this day and age, with as much competition as this area has is inexcusable. Can not say it enough, GO TO ANY OTHER GAME STORE THAN HERE!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.