Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

sorry if this has been asked before, I am sure it has but I could not find an answer. This is my first play through of Arkham Horror and it is very much a fun experience so far. I have a couple of questions regarding weapon use in Arkham and other worlds.

When in an other world, Bob had to pass a fight -1 check to break free from a creature (not a spawned monster but some thing grabbing him due to the encounter). Can he use his Tommy Gun to modify the roll or is the shotgun only used in combat?

Early one, both investigators drew weapons as the starting equipment (one tommy gun and one rifle). That makes a world of difference to combat! My understanding is that there is no restrictions to weapons so we used in in fighting multiple monsters in combats one after the other during one players turn (i.e. one player fought several monsters in one location during his turn). Is this correct? The hands limit apply, of course.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapons say they give you a bonus in Combat checks, which is a special type of Fight check. If you are asked to do a Fight check, you cannot use your weapons as it is not a Combat check. Check the second last paragraph of the middle column of rules on page 13 (Difficulty section of Skills) to confirm this.

Provided the card doesn't say to discard after use, e.g. Dynamite, then you can use it in each and every combat you fight, provided you observe the Hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, that was quick and clear. I missed that in the rules, thank you. It makes perfect sense and was as I suspected :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one weapon (the Sledgehammer) that gives an actual Fight bonus rather than a Combat bonus, but generally a Fight check is distinct from a Combat check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also don't forget to include cards like Skills (and I think an Ally?) that do actually give +1 Fight (as opposed to +1 Combat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
krakrs wrote:
Also don't forget to include cards like Skills (and I think an Ally?) that do actually give +1 Fight (as opposed to +1 Combat).

Alas, poor Bob did not have any so he was utterly lost in time and space....

Thanks for the tip though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is your first play-through, I'll add one more caveat. Some monsters are Physically Resistant (physical weapons halved, round up) or Physically Immune (physical weapons have no effect). Other than that, they are good for multiple rounds, unless they state otherwise, as mentioned.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.