United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm purchasing this game but strongly suspect that my best chance of playing it much will be to play online. I see both Vassal and Cyberboard modules. Which do you recommend/use?

As I understand it Cyberboard is PBEM so how would you efficiently handle all the back and forth involved in the attack sequence? Do you just take turns immediately submitting a game file? I have used Vassal for other games but not Cyberboard, yet.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
I'm purchasing this game but strongly suspect that my best chance of playing it much will be to play online. I see both Vassal and Cyberboard modules. Which do you recommend/use?

As I understand it Cyberboard is PBEM so how would you efficiently handle all the back and forth involved in the attack sequence? Do you just take turns immediately submitting a game file? I have used Vassal for other games but not Cyberboard, yet.

Thanks

I played a number of times via Cyberboard with Garry Haggerty while playtesting, and can vouch for it as a very good method of play. As you suggest, multiple mailings are required per game turn. We would sometimes put more than one threat in the same CB move file, but only when they were on different parts of the board and didn't affect one another. But that's how it worked; we'd record moves up until the point where we required a response, then send the game file off in an email.

Garry and I already had quite a bit of experience using Cyberboard with Bonaparte at Marengo. Garry is very talented at making new gameboxes (among other things), so he whipped one up for us to use, and kept it up to date as the game evolved.

Looking at the history in a couple of those old games, I see that we finished the single day scenario in anywhere from 60 to 100 mailings (that's combined, not each). At the extreme end, we did a two day scenario that ran until 4 p.m. on the second day, and that required 251 move files to complete.

As I recall it, the one day scenario would generally take us a week or two in real time, but that may not be typical - Garry and I played our BaM games against one another in a week or ten days, but many players in the BaM ladder would take months to finish a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I can recommend the Vassal module. It is "bare bones" as Scipio put it, but it has everything you need to play. I'd rather not play this game by email, the back and forth in an attack could make it very tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.