Subject: Ground Floor or Pret a Porter to replace Dungeon Petz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought DP hoping it would be a medium game with a fun theme and would draw my lighter-gaming friends into more meaty games. Unfortunately what I got was a lot heavier than expected.

I found the rules were fairly convoluted to explain, requiring more investiture than my gaming groups were really into. I found that the lighter gamers were scared of the complexity, and the heavier gamers put off by the theme. (why play that when we can play CAYLUS!)

So off it went.

But that game filled a niche I call 'scarce resource management' You have a million more things you want to do than you are able to do, and it's not avoiding holes but managing the holes in your plan that makes you win.

Ground Floor and Pret a Porter both see to be cut from this cloth as well. So I am wondering if anyone can make a comparison about how they are in terms of accessibility, coherence, thematic implementation, overall 'fun' etc ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that Ground Floor is more complex than Dungeon Petz. Of course, that's only based off reading the rules for Ground Floor. Hopefully, it'll be arriving on my doorstep in the near future though...

How important is the theme aspect? Many Feld games are relatively easy to learn, but involve some of the resource and action scarcity that you mention...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Trajan and Macao ^^ I don't see them as resource scarcity really. There's never a *lack* of anything or a chance to go over a cliff. In Pret a Porter you might not have enough money to pay maintenance, same with Ground floor I believe, there is a real punishment for doing poorly. In dngeon petz, the pet could die @.@

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I own Trajan and Macao ^^ I don't see them as resource scarcity really. There's never a *lack* of anything or a chance to go over a cliff. In Pret a Porter you might not have enough money to pay maintenance, same with Ground floor I believe, there is a real punishment for doing poorly. In dngeon petz, the pet could die @.@

In the Year of the Dragon is probably the best fit from that perspective. Macao can be a bit punishing with card management, unless you're very careful to manage your tableau. I love Trajan, but it's definitely not as tight in that regard.

What about family style Agricola?

Also, Peloponnes is supposed to be a bit tight like that with the disasters, but in my two games I managed to sidestep the penalties so it didn't feel that way as much. It's also a bit lighter....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you'll get some more thoughts on this topic after Ground Floor is released...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.