10 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Point defense - multiple targets ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Attacker has 2 dreadnoughts firing 8 missiles each.
defender has 3 cruisers each with 2-advanced hull. So they require 3 plasma missiles each to destroy them.
Assume dreadnoughts roll 9 hits.
Attacker allocates 3 to each cruiser.
The cruisers then roll point defense.
Assume they get 3 hits.
So can the defense choose to destroy 1 missile allocated to each cruiser?
Resulting in no cruisers being destroyed. Since they each took only 4 damage.
That seems excessivly effectivesoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
It seems the hits resulting from point defense are allocated to single missiles the same way regular hits are allocated to single ships.

So, the answer to your question would be yes. See also this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very effective, but that's why it's just a Rare Tech and only one player can have them. (Also keep in mind that it was emphasized that the expansion was a take it or leave it type thing, so just leave it out if you think it's too strong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Considering all the description for the tech I assume that you are right. The shooter determines the allocation of hits. That would apply to shots against missles as well. Since Attacker allocates hit missles first they can be shot down as you described.

I think its a tough defense against missles. But this tech alone won't help. There are several very tough tech combos out there. I think, if you manage to get them, you deserve it. Your opponents can still ally against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Running my updated simulator, it seems like Point Defense is a really great tech to have if you're going up against missiles. As was said ... there is only, at most, one tech, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:
Attacker has 2 dreadnoughts firing 8 missiles each.
defender has 3 cruisers each with 2-advanced hull. So they require 3 plasma missiles each to destroy them.
Assume dreadnoughts roll 9 hits.
Attacker allocates 3 to each cruiser.
The cruisers then roll point defense.
Assume they get 3 hits.
So can the defense choose to destroy 1 missile allocated to each cruiser?
Resulting in no cruisers being destroyed. Since they each took only 4 damage.
That seems excessivly effective:soblue:

If your opponent had distortion shield it could easily make 3 of those hits miss.

If your opponent had Flux missiles you would be dead before your fired.

If your opponent had nuke absorber killing his ships would still not capture the system for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Vanish wrote:
Running my updated simulator, it seems like Point Defense is a really great tech to have if you're going up against missiles. As was said ... there is only, at most, one tech, though!

So if you have 1st turn when the point defense is drawn from the bag you should always research it. It only costs 6.
There being only 1 counter, coumpounds the problemgulp by making it about 95% luck dependant which player will be 1st on the turn it's drawn.

For comparrison, 3 players can research Plasma missiles, And the high research cost means you have better odds of getting them if you plan on doing so {i.e. accumulate discounts / save research} So whilst there is some luck in being able to research plasma missiles, odds are strongly improved by player skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:
Vanish wrote:

So if you have 1st turn when the point defense is drawn from the bag you should always research it. It only costs 6.

Those are 6 research wasted if you do not come up against missiles.

And it is not the only missile counter in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a three player on Saturday and no missiles were drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Dulkal wrote:

Those are 6 research wasted if you do not come up against missiles.

You ignore the other effect of researching point-defense.
Suppose I have missiles. I'd obviously be worried about one of the players I want to attack researching point-defense.

What's the most effective counter to an enemy researching point defense ?

Answer, research it myself.
Once I've done that it's not significant if my opponents research missiles or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.