Thumb up
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Writing a junction point on Windows 7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Anyone want to help me trouble shoot?

I followed this advice.

1. Shut down Chrome. Open Task Manager and make sure that the Chrome process is not running.
2. Choose where you want the cache to be and make a directory there for it. For example, in my case, I made an alternate user directory on drive D (my WD 6400AAKS) like so: D:\Users\username\Chrome User Data
3. Find the default Chrome Cache directory. In Vista or Windows 7, it is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data. It may vary on XP. Make sure you replace username with your actual user name.
4. Copy the entire "User Data" directory to the new location. In my case, it went from C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data to D:\Users\username\Chrome User Data
5. Delete the original User Data folder.
6. Open an elevated command prompt (right click command prompt and click "Run as Administrator". In the command window, paste the following, including the parenthesis:

mklink /J “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Use r Data” “D:\Users\username\Chrome User Data”

Make sure you replace username with your actual username, and replace D:\Users\username\Chrome User Data with the actual path to the new location of your User Data directory. I find it easier to paste it into notepad and edit it before copying and pasting into a command prompt.


I changed the command to this to fit my scenario

mklink /J “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Use r Data” “X:\Users\frumpish\Chrome User Data”

And I got a message that the command was incorrect.

I tried it again this way.

mklink /J “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Use r Data” “D:\Users\username\Chrome\User Data”

And it still didn't work.

Is anyone familiar with junction points who can see what I did wrong, or if the instructions are incorrect?
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie W
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I believe that the problem here is in the instructions at --

The first string in quotes there (and here in both your examples) has an extra space in 'User Data' which is incorrectly given as 'Use r Data'. Since Chrome makes this path, there's no option but to get it correct.

The rest of the advice does work well on Win8.1 and it is the best way to approach these situations.

I know this is now of little use to the OP, but my search for how to do this led to this page -- so to help other questers who see this.

 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.