Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a decently big fan of BANG!, and somebody who loves a feudal Japanese theme, I was really excited when I heard about Samurai Sword. I picked it up the day it released at my FLGS.

Flash forward a few weeks and I finally got a chance to play a 5 player game last Monday. With 5 players we had the Shogun, a Samurai, 2 Ninja, and 1 Ronin.

The game started off a bit slow. The new card types and changes to the rules threw us off slightly, but we quickly figured out what we needed to do and it started to pick up speed.

We quickly learned who the Samurai was, as he was seated next to the Shogun and wasn't attacking her, so being the Ninja that I was, I was trying to pick on the Shogun and Samurai as much as possible. I wasn't getting very good cards tho, so it was hard for me to deal any real damage.

Sitting across from me was either the Ronin or a Ninja, and she was in trouble. She had 1 honor point left, and the draw pile was getting down to its last few cards. She had an amazing stroke of luck and wound up with the card that lets every player draw a card, including the harmless Shogun next to her, allowing her to now attack the Shogun for a killing blow. She increased her honor to 2, just before the last card was drawn where everybody would lose 1 honor point.

Several rounds later, the player to my right has been getting slaughtered, and only had a single honor point remaining. The Shogun and Samurai focused on him until he was dead the final time, signaling the end of the game.

After counting up all the points, the Shogun / Samurai team ended up with either 6 or 7 honor, and the Ninja team had the same score (both teams had a Daimyo card). The Ronin (who was the one defeated to end the game, had no honor of course). We looked in the rules and it says when the Shogun/Samurai and Ninja teams are tied, the Ninja win, so yay!

All in all I like the game quite a bit. It doesn't have as many fun/neat cards as Bang!, but it does seem relatively balanced. I really like that you can't eliminate players, as that was a huge problem in Bang!. I played a game of Bang! once where a player was eliminated before he could play his first turn, in a 7 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great first game review!

I already ordered the mine to see how it goes! sounds fun enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I played a game of Bang! once where a player was eliminated before he could play his first turn, in a 7 player game.

I play Bang! every day at work during lunch with my co-workers, and this happens too often unfortunately. I've won several times without getting a single turn, and lost several times without getting a single turn.

Getting my copy of Samurai Sword today, really looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brendover wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
I played a game of Bang! once where a player was eliminated before he could play his first turn, in a 7 player game.

I play Bang! every day at work during lunch with my co-workers, and this happens too often unfortunately. I've won several times without getting a single turn, and lost several times without getting a single turn.

Getting my copy of Samurai Sword today, really looking forward to it.

5 months later, how did it go?

The game just got restocked at coolstuffinc, and I'm debating if it's worth picking up. I also play Bang! at lunch with co-workers, Bang! is getting a little old, but not sure if a re-theme of Bang! is the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.