Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
133 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Why isn't there more discussion about non-lethal alternatives to guns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RSP_guns [+] [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly curious about this. It seems like in these discussions it's either "no guns and live in fear of those with guns, Sandra-Bullock-in-Demolition-Man style" or "own your own armory and be prepared to defend your home against any and all intruders, Michael-Gross-in-Tremors style."

Isn't there a middle ground of non-lethal weapons that you could use in these situations? Tasers, for example? I know they have a limited range, but it's not like you are repelling burglars from 300 yards away anyway.

ETA: I should add that I generally know very little about this subject and am legitimately curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the largest amount of gun usage is not for home defense - but hunting, target/range shooting, pest (vermit) elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that any non-lethal alternative is not a 100% solution. Heck, even a gun is not a 100% solution, but your odds of successfully defending yourself against a violent assailant are higher with a gun than a taser. In that scenario where you are defending yourself and your loved ones, you want the most effective defense possible. In order to make the case for non-lethal alternatives, you have to show that they neutralize the threat more effectively than explosive driven projectiles that cause bodily harm.

Expanding on that, some people also think they will need to use the weapons against the government in the future and want weapons that are effective in that scenario also. So guns are actually multi-role tools. I'm not in this camp, but I do sympathize with my first paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, there is nothing non-lethal. Less-lethal sure.

Things like sprays have as much chance of affecting you as they do the guy you're trying to get away from. And they don't always work.

Of course, as one of the other posters pointed out, a gun isn't 100% effective either.

If you are generally curious, read In the Gravest Extreme

I'm sure can find a copy somewhere. It's really good, with a lot of useful information, and really should be required reading for anyone who wants to carry, or those who think they know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, employment of most 'non-lethal' alternatives is predicated on the target not being armed with a firearm! I'm certainly not going to volunteer to use pepper spray on someone armed with a firearm! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Isn't there a middle ground of non-lethal weapons that you could use in these situations? Tasers, for example? I know they have a limited range, but it's not like you are repelling burglars from 300 yards away anyway.

What are you going to do after you Taser someone? Tasers are a very short term disabling device (anywhere from about 10-30 seconds depending on the device). They are designed to briefly incapacitate someone who can then be subdued by traditional means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Because the largest amount of gun usage is not for home defense - but hunting, target/range shooting, pest (vermit) elimination.

Obviously for hunting & pest elimination one would need something that fires at a velocity quick enough to be lethal. I never understood the target shooting argument, however.

Why do target pistols need to fire at the velocity they do? If the goal is to prove accuracy on targets, than having a non-lethal velocity is totally something that is viable. Why does the target pistol need to "pierce" the target? Couldn't target shooting be done equally well with ammunition that does not pierce the target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

What are you going to do after you Taser someone? Tasers are a very short term disabling device (anywhere from about 10-30 seconds depending on the device). They are designed to briefly incapacitate someone who can then be subdued by traditional means.

I would guess then that you subdue them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

Thanks - I didn't actually know that. I assume it would be bad form to just re-tase someone every thirty seconds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
Why do target pistols need to fire at the velocity they do? If the goal is to prove accuracy on targets, than having a non-lethal velocity is totally something that is viable. Why does the target pistol need to "pierce" the target? Couldn't target shooting be done equally well with ammunition that does not pierce the target?

What is a "non-lethal velocity" and do you understand how ballistics and gravity work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
What is a "non-lethal velocity"

Nerf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:

What is a "non-lethal velocity" and do you understand how ballistics and gravity work?

Yes, I have a working knowledge of ballistics and gravity. But, my question still stands. Isn't target shooting about accuracy, and not destruction of the target?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the disconnect here is thinking one needs a reason to own a gun and that reason needs to be justified. It doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Yes, I have a working knowledge of ballistics and gravity. But, my question still stands. Isn't target shooting about accuracy, and not destruction of the target?

Accuracy at a distance. To get that distance, you need a very high velocity to prevent the bullet from dropping. That velocity (and I would guess even 1/10th of that velocity) could kill someone.

People are all soft and squishy. It doesn't take much to pierce us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

And what exactly is the maximum range for target shooting?

How do you think the bullet travels 500 meters, or more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Thanks - I didn't actually know that. I assume it would be bad form to just re-tase someone every thirty seconds?

I suppose you could. Seems risky for both parties though, as you're interfering with involuntary muscle control. I also don't actually know how many charges the batteries will deliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

I guess that is why I'm asking the question. I don't know much more than what I see in the Olympics. There it seems the distances (biathlon for instance) are short enough that the guns could still be made to fire non-lethal forms of ammunition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think the disconnect here is thinking one needs a reason to own a gun and that reason needs to be justified. It doesn't.

Do you frequently buy items for no reason without any justification? Are those items potentially lethal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Yes. But considering the target is typically paper, I don't know what velocity would be required to not "destroy" it. A standard velocity .22 LR round drops too much after about 150 yards to compensate for. That's about 1100fps or so. How slow would you like to go, and how useful would that be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

I suppose you could. Seems risky for both parties though, as you're interfering with involuntary muscle control. I also don't actually know how many charges the batteries will deliver.

High capacity battery magazines will be sold until they're outlawed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:

I guess that is why I'm asking the question. I don't know much more than what I see in the Olympics. There it seems the distances (biathlon for instance) are short enough that the guns could still be made to fire non-lethal forms of ammunition.

There are longer range target shooting competitions. Simply in terms of the distance a projectile can travel, once you reach 45 degrees elevation you've max'd out - and perhaps you can imagine the technical challenge in trying to accurately aim a firearm at anywhere near 45 degree elevation. Then there's the wind drift issue. The longer the range, the more velocity will be lost and wind drift will tend put the POI all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Accuracy at a distance. To get that distance, you need a very high velocity to prevent the bullet from dropping. That velocity (and I would guess even 1/10th of that velocity) could kill someone.

People are all soft and squishy. It doesn't take much to pierce us.

I remember reading a magazine at the Dentist's a year or 2 ago where they were talking about gas combustion rifles, or something like that. They were able to scale the velocity up and down to fire non-lethal forms of ammunition (I guess like rubber bullets for riots) at various distances.

The idea was that at certain distances the bullet would be fired fast enough to reach the intended target, but slow enough to be non-lethal. The combustion chamber would be able to scale itself down, so at closer distances the bullet would still impact at a "safe" velocity.

This sounds like something that target shooters could conceivably use, as opposed to true guns. Again, assuming the aim of the sport is for accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Do you frequently buy items for no reason without any justification? Are those items potentially lethal?

Sure. I have three swords from Lord of the Rings....For no reason other than to look cool on the wall.

I may buy guns to hunt, protect my home, skeet shoot, kill varmints, or just look cool on my wall. It's my right, and no ones business what I use them for. So why do I need to justify "why" I own whatever I please, as long as it's a protected right, and I am lawful in their use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hickey
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
weezknight wrote:

Do a Google image search for "rubber bullet." You'll see that they are racquetball sized objects that do significant damage to those they hit. If you were hit by one the wrong way, it could potentially be lethal.

To accurately hit a target at 50-100m by something that doesn't look like a gigantic hand cannon, the ammunition will, by definition, be lethal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
This sounds like something that target shooters could conceivable use, as opposed to true guns. Again, assuming the aim of the sport is for accuracy.

They could shoot paintball guns or BBs if that was what they were interested in. So what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.