Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GEEK OF THE WEEK: 2005 REVIEW

This year Geek of the Week was started as a series of forums to get to know members of the Board Game Geek community. It has proved to be a successful and popular format with 17 Geeks of the Week so far and many geeks getting involved by asking questions (statisticians and bean counters feel free to calculate the actual number).

Because this week from Christmas to New Years would be a bit slow for anyone nominated for Geek of the Week, instead this will be a forum to give feedback about GotW. I would invite everyone to share their ideas and opinions about how GotW is going, how it could be improved and what have been your favourite bits this year.

Some links involved in Geek of the Week include:

Geek of the Week: the forum for feedback and suggestions about the idea of Geek of the Week.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/608186#608186

Geeks of the Week: the forum listing all Geek of the Week forum threads to date and giving links to each one.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84208

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GotW Feedback:

Thanks and congratulations to (in order of appearance) :
melissa
Jim_P
Fawkes
Sonja
Metaphora
Cavedog_pdx
woundwart
Latria
Scott Tepper
Gola
CortexBomb
sisteray
cornjob
sodaklady
louiseh
DWTripp
For volunteering/accepting the nomination for being Geek of the Week and sharing so much of your unique and interesting selves with the rest of us.

Merci beaucoup Scalner for your involvement as Geek of the Season while contending with difficulties with health, time and language.

Thanks to Jim_P for hosting a Geek of the Week for Fawkes while I was on vacation.

Thanks also to others who have volunteered to host. Helenoftroy I do remember (please don’t be offended if I forgot any other names … but let me know if I have). Your services will be called upon soon.

Thanks to everyone who posts questions on Geek of the Week threads. Without your input the forums would not be the dynamic and interesting discussions that they are.

Thanks in particular to the regulars. Sorry if this sounds like I’m being lazy but you know who you are.

Thanks to woundwart for making and continually updating the Geeks of the Week thread to list and link to all previous GotWs and to Latria for adding the link to past forums.

Thanks to everyone who has given positive and encouraging feedback (too many names for me to reliably list them without leaving people out). From ctskas, the first person to support the idea, to grognads who wrote to support this feedback week thread, it all helps make it all the more worthwhile for me.

Thanks to everyone who makes suggestions for improvements. This idea would never have got off the ground without your input.

Particularly thanks to Melissa for giving Geek of the Week the interactive and inclusive format that it needed to be more than a gimmicky idea and for your ongoing encouragement and support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GotW favourites:

The sweetest story- melissa's story about how her daughters got their nicknames. I thought it was really cute and heartwarming.

Critical Mass wrote:

"Biggie" and "Otto" seem like unusual nicknames. Are you at liberty to divulge their origins?

melissa wrote:

This has nothing at all to do with gaming

The Bigster was nearly 4 by the time we felt qualified to cope with an interloper another small person in the house. She was desperately excited when we told her I was pregnant, because she'd been begging for a sister for months. We tried to convince her that it might in fact be a brother, but she looked at us as if we had grown two heads.

One night, she announced that she knew what the baby was to be called: "Otto". Worse, its middle name had also been determined (The Wiggles have a lot to answer for). The name Otto came from her favourite Dr Seuss book: A Fish Out Of Water.

The night her baby sister was born (quite dramatically - I was apparently dangerously ill), she was the first visitor to come in. She'd been at her grandparents' house, asleep (it was around 11.30 by the time I rang), but had still managed to run down the corridor and answer the phone within 3 rings when I rang to tell her she had a sister, then be brought in to the hospital to see us.

She sat in a chair, carefully held her new little sister, and announced that "She will call me Biggie, because I am her big sister."

The new arrival's birth announcement in the newspaper read:
[Biggie] would like to announce the arrival of her new baby sister, Otto Wags Rogerson McHarg.
Fortunately, big sisters don't get naming rights.
Melissa and Fraser are delighted to welcome ...

The woman who took the listing over the phone asked whether I had had twins. shake

There was a cute picture too but I can't seem to get it to stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Many kudos to everyone involved in the GotW concept... I think it's a wonderful idea and really helps in promoting our overall sense of community. And of course, many many thanks to the actual geeks who have allowed themselves to be, err, grilled by members of the community.

So... I have one question that's I've wondered about: how does one get chosen to be GotW? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are GotWs chosen? A good question and one that I thaught I had addressed in the early GotW forums but since several people have asked I guess it should be added to the preamble at the start of each thread or stated clearly at the end of each thread when the next GotW has been chosen.

The first GotW, melissa, was chosen by me for being so helpful with getting GotW off the ground. Since then the GotWs have been chosen by their predecessors.

When I PM the current GotW I usually remember to ask them to chose someone who is not a friend (to avoid the nominations staying in a circle) and not a super high-profile well known BGGer (since the idea is to get to know someone we DON'T know). I ask for regular posters since they are likely to contribute more. Sometimes I ask for a geek from another country too.

There have been a couple of exceptions when I was unable to arrange for the chosen person and used a volunteer from the supporters of the GotW idea in the original thread.

I keep a list of nominees now since several GotWs have nominated multiple people. Now I always use one of the Geeks nominated by the current GotW for the next week if I can but when I can't (because they are unavailable) I choose from the growing list of 'extra' nominees. People with multiple nominations are slotted in first.

I don't know if I should make the list of extra nominees public. I am inclined not to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

Good effort-I know how time consuming this must be and so congrats to you for managing quite well and I like the personal touches you throw in.

Regards
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Neil. Actually it isn't all that time consuming since I'm on the Geek a lot (too much) anyway. I haven't contributed as much as I would have liked in some GotWs so I have been considering having a few people share the job of hosting and rotating it around a bit. I considered having the GotW chose their own host but I would like to keep a level of input, direction and control in how GotW goes (I know I'm a control freak...what can I say...I don't want to give up my baby...yet). So we might start with a small group of Geeks who want to host and see how that goes for a while.

In reality the real job of hosting is shared by all the people who write questions and comments to the GotW anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about also 'mentioning' upon "Gaming Groups" that folks belong to? Conduct a 'Group' "round-robin" where these people describe themselves and their 'interests' regarding their particular "Group"? This should even include 'Online' kinds to make one another 'aware' of any affiliations with those. Sure, they could easily L@@K through the "membership lists" for this, but we ALL 'know' just how lazy 'one' or somebody ELSE 'is', eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea Grog. So in effect we would get a snippet from all the GotWs gaming buddies (online and f2f-so long as they are BGGers). I like it. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this has been a quiet forum. At least I didn't give someone this week for their GotW or they may have felt ripped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're all just happy about the way GotW is going, Andrew.

It never fails to be interesting (and entertaining) and was definitely an idea whose time had come.

Thankyou for all the work and time you put into being such an enthusiastic host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with melissa that the GotW is going quite well... It's one of the threads that I read every week... I rarely ask questions, cause I can never think of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep up the great work you have been doing with GOTW. Its a thread I look forward to reading all the time!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andrew! Did you see that Tom gave Geek of the Week a mention in his Best of 2005 article?

Congratulations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Where is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92671 and on Boardgamenews (same article)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had heard about this, but only peripherally paid attention to it... (too busy WWolfing).

Is there a link(s) to the threads so I can go back and read them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
I had heard about this, but only peripherally paid attention to it... (too busy WWolfing).

Is there a link(s) to the threads so I can go back and read them?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84208

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.