Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Mythos deck question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Olovsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of Dunwich Horror. This was the first time playing AH with an expansion. I really love this expansion, especially the injury and madness cards, they were the best addition. We played against Glaaki, very intresting GOO

The only thing that bothered me was the sleepy board of Dunwich, which didn't get any action at all. I forgot how many rounds we played, but the game went on for about 4 hours+, until it came to the final battle (which we won easily), and not a single mythos cards spawned a gate in Dunwich. We were there and picked up clue tokens and had some nice encounters but not a single monster appeared.

My question is: Do the cards in Dunwich only open gates in Dunwich (except for the Gateburst cards, they didn't come up either), or are there more "normal" mythos cards which open gates in Arkham as well?

Didn't we shuffle good enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellom wrote:
Didn't we shuffle good enough?

This would be my guess. Though in general, Dunwich doesn't get a whole lot of action because compared to Arkham, it just has less unstable locations.

If you don't want to trust your shuffling and really want more Dunwich Flavor, you can keep the mythos decks separated. Alternate back and forth between Dunwich and Arkham. And if you don't want a 50-50 ratio, draw Arkham twice or 3 times, before returning to the Dunwich stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somnolent expansion boards are a continual problem in my experience. Sometimes Dunwich would be an interesting place to hang out and would pull its weight other times it might as well have not been there. As to the Dunwich Horror, well we hardly ever saw him. And then my good friends bought me Miskatonic Horror and everything changed. With Miskatonic Horror we found that the Dunwich Horror was a continual and very real threat, waking up perhaps one game in three in our 5-player games.

I'd say that MH is a worthwhile investment, perhaps not a mandatory buy if you only have the one expansion, but take a look at Arkham Horror: Game Component Setups used by mccrispy to see how integral it is to my setup. In the meantime, ColtsFan76 has provided a workable (if somewhat less random/variable) solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just expanding slightly on Coltsfan's point with the AH and DH Mythos decks combined almost exactly 1/3 of the deck is made up of the Dunwitch cards so drawing one ever 3rd turn should work out nicely.

You could randomise when this starts by rolling a dice on the first and second turns to determine which deck to draw from say on a 1 or 2 the first turn you draw a Dunwitch card, if not roll on the 2nd turn and draw a Dunwitch card on a 1,2,3 or 4 and then if you still haven't you would draw a Dunwitch card on the 3rd turn. Which ever turn you draw the DH card you would then draw one every 3rd turn after that.

Alternatively to keep it more random you could roll each turn and on a 1 or 2 draw a Dunwitch card otherwise draw a standard one. This makes it more like the cards are shuffled together but the ratio should remain closer the 1/3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.