United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gloom - did I get bum copy?
I just took my copy out to see if mine has the same issues as yours. I agree the type face is small, but I don't have any of the defects you describe above. No bleeding, no bubbling colors. Seems ok to me. The deck does have a "different" kinda smell, plasticy, but not pungent. So who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Many copies of the game are like that; the first print run had terrible quality control, according to Atlas. So much of it had such problems that they actually declined to replace my terrible copy with a better one, or one from the second run, claiming if they did that, they'd have to do it for too many people.

They did offer to replace individual cards that were particularly bad, however. And I took them up on it, getting about 20 cards replaced.

One other thing; collation on this game was bad, too. I was missing several cards, and had duplicates of others. You should check your deck against the checklist that Atlas published (it's definitely on their site, and might be here, too).

Hoping that they'd really fixed the quality issues, I bought the Unhappy Homes expansion, and was again disappointed; quality had indeed improved, but only a little bit.

There are people out there producing quality clear cards; I'm not sure why Atlas is having such a problem doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the tiny, hard to read script is a design 'feature', so no improvement possible. But the smeared printing, blotching, etc, are clearly serious defects. I'd contact Atlas and insist on a replacement myself.

I liked the game when I first got it, but after having several cards crack, split, and the general illegibleness of them, I passed on the expansion, and doubt I'd replace the base game if it becomes unplayable.

The clear cards make for a novel mechanic in theory, but its execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Many copies of the game are like that; the first print run had terrible quality control, according to Atlas. So much of it had such problems that they actually declined to replace my terrible copy with a better one, or one from the second run, claiming if they did that, they'd have to do it for too many people.

There are people out there producing quality clear cards; I'm not sure why Atlas is having such a problem doing it.

The reason is that Atlas is using the absolute cheapest company that will produce such cards. I believe it was printed at a "bottom of the barrel" printing company in India.

Jack devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they gave me that "if we do it for you, we'll have to do it for everyone" line I would tell them that they are more than welcome to tell that to the BBB and and then put up a warning againt purchasing the game on any and all sites relating to it....it's not slander if it is simply the facts of the situation and their response to it.

Bad Atlas...bad bad Atlas...forshame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gowell
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had heard that the first print run had some quality issues, but that the run that had been done when Unhappy Homes had overcome those problems. Unfortunately my copy is from the first print run. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Gloom, have you checked the ads at the top of the page for this forum?
Damn, they changed! Take my word for it, they were weird!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
berserkley wrote:
Speaking of Gloom, have you checked the ads at the top of the page for this forum?

I'm pretty sure I got the same weird ones you saw. Of course, if you read through some of the words used to describe the cards/printing and their odor, you can see why google got confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Damn, they changed! Take my word for it, they were weird!

ok, the "stool cleanse" was too much! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
The "fish odor" did it for me. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
The level of awfulness of the Gloom cards is thrown into sharp relief when compared to Hecatomb. It's too bad the two games couldn't get together--Gloom is a decent game with terrible production while Hecatomb has beautiful cards and sucky gameplay.

I could really go for a Hecatomb-level printing of Gloom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
while Hecatomb has beautiful cards and sucky gameplay.

Feel free to send me your useless Hecatomb cards. I think it may be one of the top CCGs ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spoto
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, my copies of both Gloom and the expansion are the same way. Some cards are mearly extreemly difficult to read, others are impossible. This is unfortunate, because Gloom is a decent game to play (but the cards make it hard to get people to play it more than once).

P.S.
Those are the weirdest ads I've ever seen on The Geek. Gaming must be getting WAY too mainstream if it is included in their target audience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to click on the stool cleansing ad. On the page that comes up, people leave testimonials about what it did for them. This one is just nasty sounding. Read at your own risk!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Here's what I've lost: abdominal pain, bloating, gas, worms (yes! I've seen them), parasites, back pain, leg pain, headaches, a few pounds, old fecal matter - what else would be that many colors - from black pellets and long stringy things to orange/yellow/green. And a whitish bulbish thing that looked like a mushroom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You better get some of that stuff Chuck, you don't want to end up looking like your Avatar! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holy gods, there's pictures on the Colonix site of the stuff that comes out of your intestines. not for the squeamish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
KineticKill wrote:
Nope, my copies of both Gloom and the expansion are the same way. Some cards are mearly extreemly difficult to read, others are impossible. This is unfortunate, because Gloom is a decent game to play (but the cards make it hard to get people to play it more than once).

I wrote Atlas when GLOOM first came out because while I really loved the game, it was impossible not to notice horribly significant erosion of the lettering/numbers, particularly on red backgrounds. I eventually got a letter saying they were aware of the problems and worked on the 2nd Edition to eliminate them but were still unhappy with this new printing. The original poster sounds like their copy is much much worse than any copy I've ever seen, especially if these complaints come before the game's been played, but sadly, I agree most of it's typical of GLOOM and I agree this will be a really great game once they correct these problems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.