Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Wiles
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just picked up the game tonight at a midnight madness sale, so we decided to try it, didn't sound too bad, so why not?

The game is beautiful, the board and pieces are pretty to look at and durable, so big plus when doing the punch out. The game is simple enough, you place tiles and try to score based on who has the most trees touching the buildings, but there's a catch, you multiply the value of the building by the number of tree types surrounding it.

The game gives you ample chances to screw over your neighbor by making them tie, because you don't win if you tie for most trees. While making you place your color trees to try and gain the most amount of trees with most tree types. It's an interesting mechanic and a different game strategy. You can't neglect other colors and just hope to run away with it by concentrating on your own color. You have to be willing to give points away while hoping to get the greater number of points.

It's one of those simple games to play, but tricky to master, which makes it interesting. It's easy enough to be a gateway game for those who might not play so much or be too interested yet. It's also probably a pretty good game for kids to learn, much like Carc (but without pesky farmers), it even helps the kids with their multiplication tables!

Overall, I think this is a good game, especially when you want something a little lighter and quicker that still takes a decent amount of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review. I appreciate it. My question is this: Is this game a remake of Carat with a new theme slapped on top of it or is it a game which is somewhat similiar to Carat but not exactly the same? Does anyone know the answer to this. I'd rate the origninal Carat as decent and 7/10.I Welcome responses from the reviewer and the readership. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.