Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Since part of the Messe is being rebuild this year spiel will be in Halls 1, 2 and 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'll finally learn the mystery behind halls 1 - 3 ninja ninja ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gross surface area of these three halls, according to the website is about 33,000 m². This is, I believe, slightly smaller than the original surface used with halls 4-12 (about 36,000 m², IIRC).

I believe it will be a bit chaotic, though. Regular visitors know the way from the entrance to the 2F booth, for example, by heart. This year, everyone will be standing in the corridors, lost, looking at a map.

I guess I have my work cut out for me to create this map. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:

I believe it will be a bit chaotic, though.

So, basically no change then. And a 3 minute walk from the Atlantic Congress instead of a 1 minute. I think we'll survive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
DukeOfEarl wrote:
The gross surface area of these three halls, according to the website is about 33,000 m². This is, I believe, slightly smaller than the original surface used with halls 4-12 (about 36,000 m², IIRC).

You sure? At first glance it looks a little bigger than the old halls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, at least last year, Hall 7 was not fully utilised, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
DukeOfEarl wrote:

You sure? At first glance it looks a little bigger than the old halls...

No, I'm not sure, especially since the site only lists gross surfaces.

But the perspective in the above picture may throw you off. Take a look here (use satellite view):
http://maps.google.com/maps?cid=17675114217031880724

I may be wrong, but it looks slightly smaller.

But I don't think that the total size will make a big difference in navigating the fair; rather the size of the individual halls.

Hall 3 is humongous, and I already find hall 6 (the (LA)RP hall) too large for comfort. You used to find a more or less quiet spot between halls once in a while. Now you'll have to go to the Galleria, provided that's not closed down as well.

Edit:
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Also, at least last year, Hall 7 was not fully utilised, if I remember correctly.

True. As I said, I may be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe less than 1/6 of it was used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:

I believe less than 1/6 of it was used.

3/17ths, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the space that makes me a little unwell, but the imagination of the noise. Halls 6 and 12 were already quite noise, but now image the same amount of people crammed into just 3 halls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visitors from town will want to go one U-bahn stop further, to Messe West Sud Gruga. http://goo.gl/maps/J4I4T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In which hall do you believe I should book a booth this year?

Hall 1 seems to have the main entrance... or not ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
Germany
flag msg tools
Here are some images of the new halls:

Facebook page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they incorporate the modern architectural feature of placing the entrance as far from the actual halls as humanly possible. I love walking for extra miles just to please some pillock with a vision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
DukeOfEarl wrote:

I believe it will be a bit chaotic, though.

So, basically no change then. And a 3 minute walk from the Atlantic Congress instead of a 1 minute. I think we'll survive

Want to go halves on a taxi?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:

I believe it will be a bit chaotic, though. Regular visitors know the way from the entrance to the 2F booth, for example, by heart. This year, everyone will be standing in the corridors, lost, looking at a map.

I guess I have my work cut out for me to create this map. laugh

According to German wikipedia, SPIEL was 43000 m² (no year given). I checked that a few days ago to compare after coming back from Nürnberg's 160.000 m²...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Basnov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
After two years with seasoned Essen navigators being always lost and trying desperately to follow their routes through the halls, now we will all be lost - yay!

I am slightly worried that stuff will be overlooked in big halls like this - it was easy to make sure you got around to everything in the smaller halls, but this will be mad. Also very curious to see what this will mean for gaming area for the different developers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will go from south america, and i wonder how it is the climate at ESSEN and inside the HALLS to see if i would need a jacket inside the event???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luisjoey wrote:
I will go from south america, and i wonder how it is the climate at ESSEN and inside the HALLS to see if i would need a jacket inside the event???

Inside? No...
Outside? YESzombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:
Luisjoey wrote:

Inside? No...
Outside? YESzombie

Thanks X1000

Remember that i come from a country that people go to the Beach even in Winter! (xmas Vacation on beach)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weather can be quite varied in these parts. If you're lucky you've got a golden autumn day, sunny and close to 20 degrees. Bad luck means rain at 7 degrees. I'd skip the jacket in the first case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
3pod wrote:
Luisjoey wrote:

Inside? No...
Outside? YESzombie

Thursday last year was glorious sunshine and T-shirt weather. It all depends; if the weather is good and you can avoid taking a jacket [and leave it at the hotel] then it is advisable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During one day of the show in 2011 there was a hailstorm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has it been confirmed that the hall switch is taking place? The Messe site only says that demolition work on the "old" halls will commence in the Autumn - no actual date given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gavingva wrote:
Has it been confirmed that the hall switch is taking place? The Messe site only says that demolition work on the "old" halls will commence in the Autumn - no actual date given.

Yes this has been confirmed by the organizer Friedhelm Merz Verlag back in January. The German site of the Messe Essen also says that the last show to use the old halls will be "Welding & Cutting" in September (16.09. - 21.09.2013).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.