Christophe Franckx
Belgium
Boom
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm a typical Euro-gamer gone rogue into the field of wargames. And I like it a lot. My first adventure in wargaming was with Combat Commander: Europe and Twilight Struggle (although not an exactly wargamish game, yep I did go there )

Reading more an more on these forums, I became addicted to the counter pushing (and clipping) and paper maps. Hey I don't need all these fancy stuff, I like the game for it's mechanics.

My collection has grown with following titles:

- Paths of Glory
- Fab The Bulge
- Nightfighter
- No Retreat: Russian Front
- Labyrint: War on terror
- 1989: Dawn of freedom
- Twilight Struggle
- Space Empires
- Combat Commander: Europe
- and recently I discoverd DVG
- Hornet Leader
- Thunderbolt/Apache leader

I mostly play my games solitaire, I don't mind playing the two side, or a game with solitair modus. Although real opponents are nicer .

My shortlist for new games are these, which ones do you think I should get first.

- Field Commander: Rommel
- Field Commander: Alexander
- Field Commander: Napoleon
- U-boat Leader
- Mr Madison's war
- Wilderness war
- Nothing gained but glory
- Infidel
- Silent War

I think the field commander series look nice, I'm thinking Napoleon being the better one of the 3?
Have my doubts about U-boat leader, hearing soms pretty negatives on this on.

Mr Madison's war, I like the theme and components, but is it a nice game?

What about Silent War? Here this is a monster game, but is it nice?

Are their any other games that you recommend to playing solitaire, and being in print.
Maybe you guys have good online stores that ship to Belgium.

please let me know

greets
Christophe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 is coming soon from GMT. Submarine solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot go wrong with Field Commander: Napoleon if you are happy with the solitaire only play. The components are great and there is a wide variety of challenges amongst the different scenarios. I don't have experience with the other games on your list, but I recommend this one unreservedly. I also enjoyed Warriors of God as a solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the CDG solo play try Wilderness War it is one of my absolute favorites.

The Field Commander series is made for solo play so you may want to lean in that direction - just pick the period you are most interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
Xstophe wrote:

- Paths of Glory
- Fab The Bulge
- Nightfighter
- Twilight Struggle
- Space Empires
- Hornet Leader

I mostly play my games solitaire, I don't mind playing the two side, or a game with solitair modus. Although real opponents are nicer .

That is a pretty impressive list for a beginner! If you like Labyrinth and other CDGs, you might like Andean Abyss. And well suited for solitaire play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant go wrong with Wilderness War, a lot of fun and a great theme and not too complicated. For the People is also excellent along the same lines although a bit more complex and Washingtons War is good and simpler. Just got Mr Madison's War and have not played it so not much I can say there for now but it looks like a good game. Of course these are all two player and would be a little challenging to play solo although if you have done that with Paths of Glory they would not be that different.

However if you go on ACTs you can play them pbem with real opponents and there are always people looking to get a game going and occasional BPA tournaments. Also you can open the game journals and follow along with someone elses game. Once you have bought the games you can also download the VASSAL module and use it to keep track of an ACTs game or play it in real time with an opponent. You can find the sites here and good luck!

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/

http://www.vassalengine.org/

PS if you like Combat Commander you should look at ASLSK #1. Currently out of print but copies are around and if MMP has any sense they will get it reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Xstophe wrote:

- Paths of Glory
- Fab The Bulge
- Nightfighter
- Twilight Struggle
- Space Empires
- Hornet Leader

That is a pretty impressive list for a beginner! If you like Labyrinth and other CDGs, you might like Andean Abyss. And well suited for solitaire play.

Also preordering Cuba Libre wouldn't be a bad idea either. I would say jump into Space Empires. The solo option on that game is pretty darn fun whether or not you're actually playing true solo or just soloing the multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agung Waspodo
Indonesia
Depok
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xstophe wrote:

- Paths of Glory
- Fab The Bulge
- Nightfighter
- Twilight Struggle
- Space Empires
- Hornet Leader

My shortlist for new games are these, which ones do you think I should get first.

- Field Commander: Rommel
- Field Commander: Alexander
- Field Commander: Napoleon
- U-boat Leader
- Mr Madison's war
- Wilderness war
- Nothing gained but glory
- Infidel
- Silent War

Hello, welcome to the wargaming world, you're lucky to have tried and actually enjoyed wargames, you won't regret this decision. I really like your collection list and I also like your want-list.

If you ever wanted a quicker solo play, I would also recommend the Folio series from Decision Games. If you're enjoying GMT products don't forget to read-up on C3i magazines, you shall enjoy that too. For not-so-popular theatre of war you can also play games that come with Strategy & Tactics magazine but with lesser quality of components.

You can't really go that wrong in wargaming, so take your time and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the following solo game

D-Day at Omaha Beach - Lots of fun 100% solo

Additionally,

Here are a couple of other solo friendly games (but can be played with other too)

World at War Series - very solitaire friendly due to the chit-draw mechanism.
Liberty Roads - Playing as the Germans is not terribly fun since they are pretty much limited to opportunistic counter attacks after the first breakout occurs. So I play the Germans in that mode solo.

Given that you play most of your games solitaire the CDG are a poor choice - since much of the tension is caused by not knowing what cards are coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Looking at your list of sub-genres, you may want to try another one. What about a traditional hex-and-counter WWII wargame?

The Standard Combat Series (SCS) is very popular because it scratches well the wargame itch while being pretty light as far as rules go.

Choose one of the games and see how you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Two come to mind since you mention solitaire: D-Day at Omaha Beach is utterly brilliant, and why no one has mentioned Fields of Fire is beyond me*.

* Note: I am in a serious love/loathe relationship when it comes to FoF. I think it's brilliant and deserving of a 10 rating and that you should, without question, consider it (read the latest living version of the rule, though). But I personally rate it a 3 because I just can not stand the 4-6 hour game length and utter, mind-numbing fiddliness (too many counters and table/charts) of playing a game. The iOS version should address these issues for me, much like GMT did with Dominant Species; that 3-4 hour game now takes 40 minutes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I'd go with Infidel out of those, because you have nothing like
it, and it's a good intro.

Second choice would be the outstanding Wilderness War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Christophe -- looks like you're having fun! I see a good list that you've already picked up. Outside of PoG, looks like WW2 and later are your focus. Once you have plowed through them, the following are recommended and worth your investigation:

~ D-Day at Omaha Beach Solitaire, well designed, and quite fun.
~ Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 Two player, but plays nicely solo. A great system that the designer is using as the basis for some follow-on games.
~ U-Boat Leader Noticed this and Silent War on your list. UBL is a good tactical game, whereas SW is covers the bigger picture of the Pacific submarine campaign from an operational level. There are a number of good submarine games out there, with more coming as Stig pointed out. In my opinion, you can never have too many submarine games...!

There is a rich landscape of wargaming in front of you, with plenty of choices. Figure out what you like -- which eras, which game mechanics, and which levels of warfare (tac, op, strat) -- and dive in. You'll find the denizens of this site always happy to offer their opinions and to help! whistle

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Franckx
Belgium
Boom
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of fire is on my wishlist. But can't find a copy. Out of print and p500 is way off.

Will take a look at the tips. Some unknown stuff for me in the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 and the Musket & Pike Battle Series are both outstanding games/systems. I can't say enough about Red Winter, and it's the first of a series!

Nothing Gained But Glory is as good a place as any to start for the Musket & Pike series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Infidel. Old-school-ish Hex&Counter goodness, but with well streamlined rules and good playability. Works well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo:

The Civil War

No Peace Without Spain!

Christophe, why play solo when you could get a great social-diplomatic-military experience playing Empires in Arms right in Antwerpen? As a Euro-gamer, don't you value the social experience of multi-player games? Send a GeekMail to the author of the series of sessions reports on BGG about the Antwerpen EiA campaign, which starts with this report:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/719749/eia-campaign-with-2-w...

The user is Silverwings, located in Antwerp-Schoten:

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Silverwings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Christophe, why play solo when you could get a great social-diplomatic-military experience playing Empires in Arms right in Antwerpen? As a Euro-gamer, don't you value the social experience of multi-player games? Send a GeekMail to the author of the series of sessions reports on BGG about the Antwerpen EiA campaign, which starts with this report:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/719749/eia-campaign-with-2-w...

I second this. EiA is actually a pretty easy game to ease into.
You don't need to know every little rule to play effectively.
And it's a hell of an experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
"I am living off the government tit! Sucking it dry!"
(since 1970)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brodemir wrote:

Welcome aboard!

I ended up liking this one quite a bit more than I thought I would. I usually can't stand to play the Germans....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xstophe wrote:

I hear good things about Amateurs to Arms!.

And this game on the same topic is MUCH simpler but loads of fun : 1812: The Invasion of Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
You may want to consider

It plays well solo and it's very easy to find someone to play a scenario over Skype if you join PG-HQ dot com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mallet wrote:
Xstophe wrote:

I hear good things about Amateurs to Arms!.

And this game on the same topic is MUCH simpler but loads of fun : 1812: The Invasion of Canada.

I've only played Mr. Madison once, but it really impressed me.

At first, it felt a bit like one of those blundering CDGs,
where you try and just grab points, but it seems to capture
the strategic importance of the lakes nicely - the Brits cannot
lose the naval war without endangering their supply route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xstophe wrote:
Fields of fire is on my wishlist. But can't find a copy. Out of print and p500 is way off.

Will take a look at the tips. Some unknown stuff for me in the recommendations.

You might think about waiting for Fields of Fire II which should be released on GMT preorder soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Wilderness War a lot but CDGs are a bit difficult to play solo - as long as your personality is "whole". With a split personality it might be a different thing (or if you get old - you easily forget your last move).

Silent War is another fav of me. Great game, long but worth if IF ! you are interested in U-Boat - Warfare. If you like it you might then look at Steel Wolves. Same system, similar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.