Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to do this?

I know how to in the forums...

I'm just wondering about the wiki pages.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the BGG wiki is a very basic creation so far with only the bare-bones approach.

IT is not listed in http://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Wiki_Formatting, so I do not think so... Anyway, if you use the "standard" wiki tags and they do not work here, then definitely not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Hopefully everyone understands the reference...)
You could always geekmail this guy and ask him:

Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would also like to know this.

On a sidenote, it's somewhat frustrating that the forum markup codes and wiki mark up codes are different, and I have to do a fair bit of corrections to game submissions where a user has done a full markup in forum code instead of wiki code. Italicizing and bolding are different, and url links are handled rather differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

On a sidenote, it's somewhat frustrating that the forum markup codes and wiki mark up codes are different, and I have to do a fair bit of corrections to game submissions where a user has done a full markup in forum code instead of wiki code. Italicizing and bolding are different, and url links are handled rather differently.

This was one of the many annoyances which I hope a redesign would fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried two three methods below (wthout extra spaces of course...) and neither works.

< font color="red" >This is some text!< /font >

< span style="color: red" >This is some red text!< /span>

< span style="color: #00b0ff" >This is some colored text!< /span>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why aren't the wiki pages handled/made with forum code instead of wiki code in the first place (aka: one approach for both)? I've always wondered what technical reason seperates the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can set fg and bg color in the wiki using tables... like this:

{| border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" style="margin-left: 1em"
|-
| style="background-color:#bf4984;color: #00b0ff" | This is a test of setting an '''arbitrary''' bg color and fg color...
|-
| style="background-color:#49bf84;" | This is a test of setting an '''arbitrary''' bg color...
|-
| style="color: #00b0ff" | This is a test of setting an ''arbitrary'' fg color...
|}

You can see this in action on the description field here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be much easier to have an interface which automatically codes what you want, like you have in the forums? (Bold, Italic, Underlined...change font color, ... insert Geek Links,... etc...)

That way, even if the auto-formatted code were different, users would not have to care about it any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Wouldn't it be much easier to have an interface which automatically codes what you want, like you have in the forums? (Bold, Italic, Underlined...change font color, ... insert Geek Links,... etc...)

That way, even if the auto-formatted code were different, users would not have to care about it any more.

The only hope is a site redesign. BGG was cobbled together using a number of tools which have functions which are inconsistent. That is why wiki editing and forum editing are different.

But now BGG would need to write both a forum tool and a wiki tool to get consistent behavior. Also how do you migrate all the posts and wiki pages that already exist?

Such a redesign is a gigantic effort. Piling fix upon fix has no doubt resulted in complex code which is very difficult to change and maintain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least in the case of the wiki code, they are using a version of an existing open source package, with a few customizations... not too fancy for that part. Probably why Aldie chose it to start with; less work than writing his own for the whole thing.

The reason I know 'what to do' is I use a similar setup at work, a slightly customized version of Media Wiki software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
You can set fg and bg color in the wiki using tables... like this:

{| border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" style="margin-left: 1em"
|-
| style="background-color:#bf4984;color: #00b0ff" | This is a test of setting an '''arbitrary''' bg color and fg color...
|-
| style="background-color:#49bf84;" | This is a test of setting an '''arbitrary''' bg color...
|-
| style="color: #00b0ff" | This is a test of setting an ''arbitrary'' fg color...
|}

You can see this in action on the description field here.

Bingo. Thanks.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

Bingo. Thanks.

-DK

Yer quite welcome! Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.