BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need help - colorful artwork games like Adventure Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Russell
United States
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm new here. I made an account just to post this.

I'm looking for some recommendations for colorful board games.

This is the criteria:
1. Colorful like Adventure Time or a Studio Ghibli film or other Anime or cartoon.
2. Fun and child-like such as Adventure time or a Studio Ghibli film.
3. If possible customization like Betrayal at House on the Hill.
4. If possible, nothing to do with, Dungeon & Dragons esque, Lord of the Rings esque, historical periods, Greek Gods.
5. Not long winded like a game of Risk.
6. Fun to play

The game recommendations don't have to meet all of these requirements exactly, but the best you can do would be great. I appreciate any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game (aka Story Realms). It's more of a Ghibli look than Adventure Time. It's basically a very freeform RPG that can be played by children (or adults). Seems quick, offers customization, fun, nice to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bally Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dixit is renowned for its colourful artwork. The only problem perhaps is that it isn't really a board game.

But hey if it's art you're going for this is a winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough question. There should be more boardgames like this! Mice and Mystics seems like it could KIND OF be a Ghibli movie (if there was slightly less focus on combat). It's not brightly colored, but not desaturated either: the board is pretty beautiful.

kittenhoarder wrote:
I like the look of Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game (aka Story Realms). It's more of a Ghibli look than Adventure Time. It's basically a very freeform RPG that can be played by children (or adults). Seems quick, offers customization, fun, nice to look at.

This looks pretty awesome: definitely keeping an eye on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballyman91 wrote:
Dixit is renowned for its colourful artwork. The only problem perhaps is that it isn't really a board game.

+1 for Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like to recommend our debut release, Seven Sisters, although it probably doesn't meet your qualification #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkikola wrote:
Ballyman91 wrote:

+1 for Dixit

Dixit, while not really representative of either an Adventure Time or Ghibli-esque experience, is the kind of game characters IN Adventure Time or a Ghibli Film might play. So, yeah, +1 from me, too.

Wishing Tree Games wrote:

I'd like to recommend our debut release, Seven Sisters, although it probably doesn't meet your qualification #2.

Not many Ghibli films about wooing the scantily clad daughters of aristocrats...not many Adventure Time episodes about it either. I guess the latter is debatable.

Oh, oh, I thought of one (maybe). Forbidden Desert has some elements of Ghibli; flying machines, scenic vistas, etc. It's, uh...not out yet, though, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not many Ghibli films about wooing the scantily clad daughters of aristocrats...not many Adventure Time episodes about it either. I guess the latter is debatable.

I understood the request to be for a game that was colorful, not one that was representative of Ghibli films or Adventure Time. Perhaps the OP can clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishing Tree Games wrote:

I understood the request to be for a game that was colorful, not one that was representative of Ghibli films or Adventure Time. Perhaps the OP can clarify?

I was just messing with you because it seemed like a bit of a stretch. I'm sure your promotion wasn't out of line; he did say our suggestions didn't have to meet ALL of the criteria.

Another game I thought of is Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre; that artist has a style quite similar to Pendleton Ward. The theme of the game is a bit more adult than you might like, though; one of the spell suffixes involves testicles. There are also some rethemes of Love Letter with Adventure Time characters floating around. The original Japon Brand art would probably also fit the bill, but the AEG stuff certainly doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.