David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve wanted to put something like this together for a while just to share some of the work I’ve been doing. Something like this was done in this thread Basic Maneuvers with Pictures!, and there is a lot of good stuff there, but I wanted to start really basic and build things up. And I don’t think I am retreading anything.

It is possible that most of you already know all of this, but I just joined a league and played with a lot of new players who didn’t know most of what I explain below, and I see a lot of posts from people who say they are just getting started, so I thought this would still be helpful. I’ve learned most of the things below the hard way, by crashing into myself while playing. And if you think that most of the stuff below is too simple, this is only a 101 course. I have more stuff in the works for the 201 course.

Setup:

This is the setup I always recommend for beginners.

Since you have to place all your ships within range 1 from the edge, this is as far apart as you can put your ships front to back. That will become important later. As far as how wide the ships should be apart, I do this mostly for symmetry, but it will also work well when I talk about the turns. It works okay for banking also.

When you set this up, always try to put the lower skilled pilots in front and the higher skilled pilots in the back. This will make movement much easier and you will be far less likely to crash into people when you move.

Banking:

As you can see from this picture, the inside curve of the bank should be one number less if you want to stay in formation. These ships are set up at range 1 apart. If they were slightly closer together they would end their movement more perfectly aligned, but I think this is close enough anyway. Plus you have to remember that there is a lot of slight human error when moving your ships, and things will never come out perfectly anyway. And the more gap you leave between your ships, the less likely they will be to crash if they get bumped and not corrected.

This illustration shows what happens when ships forward and backward move in the same arc.

Again, ships 1 and 2 started at range 1 apart and after banking, they do not touch each other. If you start your ships closer together like ships 3 and 4 and then perform a bank, they will crash. I know I made this mistake several times when I first started. In my mind I kept thinking, “They aren’t touching now, so if they each take the exact same movement, they won’t be touching afterwards.” The problem is that since you are rotating the ships 45 degrees, they get taller, and while the center posts are still the same distance away, the edges are now touching.

When you try to move all four ships at once with banks it gets messy.

In the first movement, ships 1 and 2 are the outside ships, and they bank with a 3. The two inside ships use a 2 bank. The result after the first movement is a staggered formation. For the second movement ship 1 is outside and uses a 3 bank again, but if ship 2 did that, it would crash into ship 3, so instead it banks with a 2 for the second turn. You could have ship 4 bank with a 1 instead of a 2, and it would pull up alongside ship 2 in the rear. I don’t see making two banks like this in a game being very useful, but you can see what happens.

Diamond Formation:
This is what happens if all 4 ships use the same bank template.

I think it’s cool.

Turns:

Unlike banks, it you want to keep your ships in formation during a turn, you need to use a 3 and a 1. Since most Rebel ships do not have a 1 turn, this will be used mostly by imperials.

If you try to turn using a 3 and a 2 or a 2 and a 1, this is what will happen.

You can also turn in one direction using the same sized turn.

This will transpose your squad if you do it to all your ships.

If you set things up so that the lower skilled pilots were in the front row, now realize that one of those ships is in the back row now.

You can easily reset the original formation by doing a hard turn in the opposite direction.

I hope this is helpful. If anyone wants to see anything specific, or is wondering how to move into a certain formation, let me know. My second round of pictures (Maneuvering 201) will be about Range 1, which I see a lot of people not understanding, and it is crucial to the game.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
Very basic, but very nicely done. Excellent illustrations, done with obvious care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing in my first tournament tomorrow. Good on you sir, GG for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely great illustrations, have some geek gold for that.

Did you draw this in Adobe Illustrator (are they vector format?) If so, I'd like the file if you don't mind sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cope
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing post! Have a tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
Definitely great illustrations, have some geek gold for that.

Did you draw this in Adobe Illustrator (are they vector format?) If so, I'd like the file if you don't mind sharing.

I use Excel to make these pictures. It allows me to not only move the ships around, but I can also use the functions to roll dice and record damage in simulations. I'm in the process of formatting the spreadsheet to post to the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey2ham Grey2ham
United Kingdom
Chester
flag msg tools
This is really helpful!
Link the second post somewhere in here! Or put both in your signature!
One thing you don't seem to mention that many people seem to assume is that you don't have a 45 degree firing arc (either side of center), it's more like 40 degrees, As a result of the insert not being square, whereas the base is. Have a look:

Also is minimum separation needed for a non-collision during same number bank 1/2 move?
What's the effect of barrel role after a bank?
More complex maneuvers would be nice like a 2 turn by one ship and a 4K with another.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Johnson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info, I had never really thought about these things but can see how it would help keeping this sort of thing in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
This a really fun subject. It definitely takes a lot of practice to find the right situations for the right movements. I am eager to read the Maneuvers 201 post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.