Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad likes to defend the failed presidency of Barack Obama, a man who has done untold damage to the United States, left an unmatched record of broken promises, irreparable harm to the global economy, lowered our credit rating, buried future generations in insurmountable debt, raised taxes on the most vulnerable groups, brought unprecedented divisiveness, dishonesty, negativity, and Chicago-style corruption to Washington, frittered away trillions of dollars with nothing to show for it, mocked the rule of law, and undermined the hope and potential prosperity of those very groups that got him into office most of all (young people and minorities) by relying on and repeating the lies and frauds of the administration and its propaganda machine and focusing on the trivial rather than anything of substance when it comes to politics.

For example, "Sure, Obama shares responsibility for deaths in Benghazi and we see failed foreign policy and scandals all the time from him (how big was that hostage crisis this week?), but Romney once said Syria was Iran's route to the sea! What an idiot!" "Well, is Syria Iran's route to the sea?" "Only in a very limited sense . . ." "The sense Romney meant?" "Well, yeah . . ." "Okay, then."

One thing that fascinated me about this last election cycle was that for the first time we saw a dishonest and more negative campaign prevail, and the most impressive and qualified candidate for president in over 20 years was routinely called a liar, stood by what he said, and was vindicated as right time after time after time!

Since Chad has resorted more than once to the fact that extremely biased media rated a distortion and misrepresentation of a Romney claim as the "Lie of the Year," I thought he might appreciate knowing that once again Romney was exactly right:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/whoops-politifacts-lie-y...

Hopefully after four more years of suffering, folks that supported him paid attention and got an important education (even if it was the hard way) in why we ought to expect certain things from our elected leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this [url]http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/17/uk-fiat-marchionne-... [/url] says nothing about production being moved. It says they will build Jeeps in China, not that they are going to close US factories. So the lie continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
this [url]http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/17/uk-fiat-marchionne-... [/url] says nothing about production being moved. It says they will build Jeeps in China, not that they are going to close US factories. So the lie continues.

Romney never said that they were going to close US factories. Obama's lie continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
Chad likes to defend the failed presidency of Barack Obama, a man who has done untold damage to the United States, left an unmatched record of broken promises, irreparable harm to the global economy, lowered our credit rating, buried future generations in insurmountable debt

My observation, which I make while eating a sandwich--but not, I assure you, a sandwich made of peanut butter and wasabi paste, because that turned out to be a terrible idea even though I normally enjoy wasabi in non-peanut-butter-related foods, but not as much as I enjoy peanut butter, or honey, or sweetened condensed milk, or a big bag of sugar and a spoon, or nectar sucked from the neighbors' hummingbird feeders when nobody's looking--is that, when you begin with paragraphs of blather which don't seem to have anything to do with the title of your post, you kill readers' interest in whatever you might have been intending to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question: what games did you design? I want to avoid buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Romney never said that they were going to close US factories. Obama's lie continues.

What do you suppose Romney actually said, what Obama lied about, and what then actually occurred?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

Click on anyone's Game Designer badge to see a list of the games they have listed in the database with designer credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Page three of that article is wonderful:

Quote:
I saw a story today that one of the great manufacturers in this state Jeep -- now owned by the Italians -- is thinking of moving all production to China. I will fight for every good job in America.

That's the actual quote from the ad deemed "lie of the year". All production. All production. The campaign backpedaled from it almost immediately as they knew, like you know, they got it wrong in what they said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Blue Steel wrote:
Chad likes to defend the failed presidency of Barack Obama, a man who has done untold damage to the United States, left an unmatched record of broken promises, irreparable harm to the global economy, lowered our credit rating, buried future generations in insurmountable debt, raised taxes on the most vulnerable groups, brought unprecedented divisiveness, dishonesty, negativity, and Chicago-style corruption to Washington, frittered away trillions of dollars with nothing to show for it, mocked the rule of law, and undermined the hope and potential prosperity of those very groups that got him into office most of all (young people and minorities) by relying on and repeating the lies and frauds of the administration and its propaganda machine and focusing on the trivial rather than anything of substance when it comes to politics.

For example, "Sure, Obama shares responsibility for deaths in Benghazi and we see failed foreign policy and scandals all the time from him (how big was that hostage crisis this week?), but Romney once said Syria was Iran's route to the sea! What an idiot!" "Well, is Syria Iran's route to the sea?" "Only in a very limited sense . . ." "The sense Romney meant?" "Well, yeah . . ." "Okay, then."

One thing that fascinated me about this last election cycle was that for the first time we saw a dishonest and more negative campaign prevail, and the most impressive and qualified candidate for president in over 20 years was routinely called a liar, stood by what he said, and was vindicated as right time after time after time!

Since Chad has resorted more than once to the fact that extremely biased media rated a distortion and misrepresentation of a Romney claim as the "Lie of the Year," I thought he might appreciate knowing that once again Romney was exactly right:

Hopefully after four more years of suffering, folks that supported him paid attention and got an important education (even if it was the hard way) in why we ought to expect certain things from our elected leaders.

B.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts:

1. If you're going to say that I said certain things and then say, "For example" and follow that with quotes, please only words I've actually said. I'm sure you think it's obvious that you're being hyperbolic (although why bother if, as you claim, I've said things that are so easily refutable) but the standard convention is that if you put words in quotes when referring to what someone else said, you're quoting them, not caricaturing them.

2. The fact that the Weekly Standard thinks that a Politifact Lie of the Year from the right is actually true is about as convincing as the fact that DailyKos said the same thing about a Lie of the Year from the left.

3. The Standard piece is basic apologetics. It takes snippets from the Politifact article and snippets from the Romney ad and then declares that the Romney ad was accurate. If you read the entire Politifact piece, you can see that it wasn't just the ad, but the ad combined with Romney's own statements, and those from his campaign.

Was the ad dishonest? Surely you don't think so; Romney lied repeatedly during his campaign and you call him "vindicated time after time". But GM called it, "campaign politics at its cynical worst" and the CEO of Chrysler (more diplomatically) called it "inaccurate". Romney kept running it.

FWIW, I don't think this deserved the lie of the year award. I think Romney knew he was misleading people, but no more than a dozen other ads. The only argument I can see for giving it "lie of the year" status is that the companies referred to it publicly refuted it, Romney kept running it, and he lost Ohio by a clear margin.

Of course, this response is theoretical anyway, since I think you're deliberately caricaturing anti-Obama zealots rather than being one. It's hard to tell, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's caricaturing anti-Obama zealots. I think he truly is one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
Page three of that article is wonderful:

Quote:
I saw a story today that one of the great manufacturers in this state Jeep -- now owned by the Italians -- is thinking of moving all production to China. I will fight for every good job in America.

That's the actual quote from the ad deemed "lie of the year". All production. All production. The campaign backpedaled from it almost immediately as they knew, like you know, they got it wrong in what they said.

No, that's not a quote from the ad. Ironically, your post is a lie.

Pay special attention to the update on the third page.

Would you care to retract your erroneous statement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Pay special attention to the update on the third page.

It's a two page article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
damiangerous wrote:

It's a two page article.

No it's not.

Quote:

Doh! From the speech is what I meant.

"Romney said this". That work better for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

It's a two page article.

No it's not.

Quote:

Then you agree that it's irrelevant to PolitiFact's "Lie of the Year" since that was specifically about the ad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
...lowered our credit rating...

Demonstrably untrue. Our credit rating was lowered explicitly because of Congress and the uncertainty the Tea Party and the out-of-control GOP has created in the US government. It was cited specifically when the US's credit score was lowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Psauberer wrote:
fenners wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

It's a two page article.

No it's not.

Quote:

Then you agree that it's irrelevant to PolitiFact's "Lie of the Year" since that was specifically about the ad?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:

It was not specifically about the ad. Have you read their entire article?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Click on anyone's Game Designer badge to see a list of the games they have listed in the database with designer credits.
Ah so in this case, none that have been published, got it.

Whew! I was worried I might accidentally give him money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point is, BS is setting his sights early on Lie of the Year for 2013. It's always been monopolized by politicians, but RSP deserves its shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

"I saw a story today, that one of the great manufacturers in this state, Jeep, now owned by the Italians, is thinking of moving all production to China," So yes you are correct he does not actually say they are going to close US factories, just move all production to China (whilst I assume paying those US workers to do nothing?).

"Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China. Mitt Romney will fight for every American job." the clear implication, American jobs are being moved to China from Chrysler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't think Alinskyite name-calling towards a user or calling him "BS" creates a very welcoming atmosphere especially for someone who didn't seem to visit the RSP forum much before the election. Of course, if people want things to spiral downward, you should probably ignore my advice. What do I know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Quote:

I don't think Alinskyite name-calling towards a user or calling him "BS" creates a very welcoming atmosphere especially for someone who didn't seem to visit the RSP forum much before the election. Of course, if people want things to spiral downward, you should probably ignore my advice. What do I know...

Chad likes to defend... creates a welcoming atmosphere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Romney? Where do I know that name from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Romney? Where do I know that name from?
I think he was the loser beat by a failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.