David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Range 1

I think understanding the true distance of Range 1 is extremely important. For attacking it is obvious, but because we don’t know exactly how our opponent will move, there is nothing we can do to completely control the distance of our ships to our enemy’s. But Range 1 within a squad is also important. Just about every squad I have faced or used has either Howlrunner, Biggs, Squad leader, Swarm Tactics, or a combination of those. Pretty soon Lando will be available. All of these pilots/upgrades require you to keep some of your ships within Range 1 of another ship. Now, this is fairly easy. Just pack everyone into a tight group (ie swarm) and move them as a lump around the play area.

The problem with this is that the ship you want to stay close to is usually the primary target of the enemy. In Howlrunner’s case it’s because they want to kill her, and in Bigg’s case it’s because they have to shoot at him. So while you want to keep this ship close to the rest of your squad, you should also want to be keeping it far away from the enemy.

How do you do that?

The first thing you need to do is understand what Range 1 is.

Hopefully everyone has noticed that the 1 movement template is the same length as the ship base. And each straight movement template is 1 movement further than the last. What you may not have noticed is that Range 2 is the same length as the 5 movement template. This means that Range 1 is 2.5 movement, or 2.5 of the base width.

When I measure my base it comes out to about 1.60”. 2.5 x 1.6 = 4”. Now, when I actually measured the my base with a calipers, it came out to 1.59” and I’m sure if you measure your range ruller you will find that Range 1 is actually 3.92” or 4.06”. I don’t feel like getting that picky, and this analysis does not require that kind of accuracy.

The second thing you need to know is that when you move a distance of two, the front of your base actually moves a distance of 3.

This is because you place the template at the front of your ship and then move the back of your ship to the other end.

The third important thing is that when measuring for range you always take the closest edge/corner to the other ships closest edge/corner. You do not measure from the center of the bases. I’ve seen a few beginner players measure a range and find that the line for range 1 or 2 falls in the center of the base and they are confused which range it should be, since both seem to qualify. It is the closest point to the closest point.

What this means is that if two ships are side by side and one moves 4 and the other moves 2, the end result is that they are only 1 apart even though the movement is a difference of 2.

This means that one ship can move 5 and the other ship can move only 2 and they are still easily within Range 1 of each other.

Now, when the ships are in a column instead of a row, it is a little different.

Because Ships 1 and 2 were set up within range 1 they are starting at a distance of 0.5 from each other. When they move with a difference of 2, the end result is that they will be a distance of 2.5 from each other. If your goal is to keep them within Range 1, this is probably too risky as the measurement is going to be left up to someone’s opinion. If this is how you plan to move to start, it is probably better to start ship 1 slightly forward so the end result is more assured.

Another option is to move with a bank.

Banks add about half a movement point to the same numbered straight template. But they also rotate the ship at a 45 angle, which brings a corner closer to the ship behind.

Examples:

So here are a couple examples on how to apply this:

In this example I started ship 4 slightly forward, reducing the distance between ship 4 and ship 2 to about 0.25. This allowed Ship 4 to be within Range 1 of all the ships after they all moved a distance of 4 while ship 4 only moved 2.

In one of the Kessel Run’s I attended, I flew an Imperial swarm with Howlrunner and when I performed this movement , leaving Howlrunner back, my opponent laughed and asked me if that ship was running out of gas. He understood a turn later why I did it.

Do you remember the Diamond formation from my last post?

In this formation Ship 4 is slightly more than 1 movement away from Ship 1. If you want to keep them at range 1, then the next movement for both of them should only be different by 1.

Ship 1 moves at 3 while Ship 4 moves at 2. The other two ships move at 4 and the result is a front of three ships abreast that are all still at Range 1 from Ship 4. Ship 4 is now likely to be at range 3 from the enemy while it is quite possible that Ship 3 is at Range 1 from the enemy while the other ships are at least only Range 2.

The last thing I want to show is the advantage of banking when attacking.

In the left example, Ship 1 is not at Range 1 of either ship 2 or the approaching enemy. But in the right example, by only turning at a 45 degree angle, the ship is now at Range 1 of both Ship 2 and the enemy while the enemy is still easily at range 3 from Ship 2. Now, this exact set up is unlikely occur in an actual game, but it does show that by banking a ship, its corners give you a slight advantage when measuring ranges. However, you are also turning your firing arc, and there is a risk that not all of the enemy ships will be in your arc.

These examples and techniques take practice to perfect, and things like asteroids and an unpredictable enemy may force you improvise. But understanding how to keep ships at range 1 from each other without having to pack them together will keep your valuable ships alive longer and drive your opponents crazy.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course this is awesome! Thank you very much for the clear pictures and explanations. I know it doesn't matter for the purposes of measuring because it is all relative to the templates,but I think you'll get even numbers if you measure in metric. Base is 40mm, template widths are 20mm. I can't figure out the turn measurements though. Your explanations make the measurement irrelevant though! Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey2ham Grey2ham
United Kingdom
Chester
flag msg tools
Sorry to be picky, but you use range 1 apart differently in 101 and 201.
Am I correct that in 201 it's to get to a maximum range of 1 away from each other, (for abilities) whereas in 101 it is to get a separation of 1/2 move (to avoid crashes)?
Maybe you would like to edit the way you say it in 101 to be consistent. Something like: "you can put them so the furthest edges are at range 1 from each other giving you 1/2 move separation".
I still would like more complex maneuvers as per my post on 101!
Please take this as constructive criticism. These are really good guides.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey2ham wrote:
Sorry to be picky, but you use range 1 apart differently in 101 and 201.
Am I correct that in 201 it's to get to a maximum range of 1 away from each other, (for abilities) whereas in 101 it is to get a separation of 1/2 move (to avoid crashes)?
Maybe you would like to edit the way you say it in 101 to be consistent. Something like: "you can put them so the furthest edges are at range 1 from each other giving you 1/2 move separation".
I still would like more complex maneuvers as per my post on 101!
Please take this as constructive criticism. These are really good guides.
Thanks.

You're right, I used the same terminology to describe two different things, but I hope the pictures clarify what I am talking about.

Yes, more complex maneuvers are coming. I'm starting with the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luna Caro
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you! This helps me very much. Is very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody give this guy a medal. (None for Chewie though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aronovici
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mb
My mind exploded because this is just pure tactics. Thanks for the insight. This will surely work really well for swarm tactics as you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In one of the Kessel Run’s I attended, I flew an Imperial swarm with Howlrunner and when I performed this movement , leaving Howlrunner back, my opponent laughed and asked me if that ship was running out of gas. He understood a turn later why I did it.

Just curios, How did that game go for you? That guy was probally pretty shocked after seeing that lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.