Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Antike Duellum» Forums » General

Subject: No reviews? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this out? I'm surprised by the lack of reviews.

Good game? I have the original Antike, but find my player count at 2, more often than not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's out. I am hoping for more video reviews.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am far too lazy to review this, but am very pleased with the game. Play is solid, with a lot of scope for different strategies. Components are excellent quality. The UK price is unfeasibly cheap for a game of this quality. If you like Antike and don't already have a copy and also play a lot of two player games it should be a must buy. As you say you already have Antike I would hesitate a little before being sure. Is there some kind of upgrade of just the map and cards available for Antike owners? Or buy it and sell Antike.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own this but I've played a handful of games on yucata.de and I've found the decision tree to be much narrower then antike. I was excited about getting this, as a big fan of antike, but I can't say I have a strong need to. If you don't have antike buy that game not this one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll write a review if people want to see one.
12 
 Thumb up
1.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
I'll write a review if people want to see one.


Not if it's going to be a negative one
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
dond80 wrote:
I'll write a review if people want to see one.


Not if it's going to be a negative one


It would be mostly positive; I liked it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be able to post by Monday night.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame my buddy Tim didn't live to see this thread -- he loved this game, and seemed to be on his way to dominating it the way he did A Few Acres of Snow. Every time I talked to him those past few weeks he was telling me something new he had learned about AD. I'm sure he would have written a lively appraisal. Sigh.

I strongly disagree with the comment that the decision space is narrow. I have not played Antike yet to compare it, but judged on its own I find that there are quite a few interesting options in AD. There are as many strategies as there are ways to make points. Just about any strategy can contribute to a quality win, and every strategy has a counter. Add in the complexity of the map, and I think you have a very deep game.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skipsizemore wrote:
It's a shame my buddy Tim didn't live to see this thread -- he loved this game, and seemed to be on his way to dominating it the way he did A Few Acres of Snow. Every time I talked to him those past few weeks he was telling me something new he had learned about AD. I'm sure he would have written a lively appraisal. Sigh.

I strongly disagree with the comment that the decision space is narrow. I have not played Antike yet to compare it, but judged on its own I find that there are quite a few interesting options in AD. There are as many strategies as there are ways to make points. Just about any strategy can contribute to a quality win, and every strategy has a counter. Add in the complexity of the map, and I think you have a very deep game.


Yup, his comments got me to purchase the game (just arrived a couple of days ago).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
telengard wrote:
skipsizemore wrote:
It's a shame my buddy Tim didn't live to see this thread -- he loved this game, and seemed to be on his way to dominating it the way he did A Few Acres of Snow. Every time I talked to him those past few weeks he was telling me something new he had learned about AD. I'm sure he would have written a lively appraisal. Sigh.

I strongly disagree with the comment that the decision space is narrow. I have not played Antike yet to compare it, but judged on its own I find that there are quite a few interesting options in AD. There are as many strategies as there are ways to make points. Just about any strategy can contribute to a quality win, and every strategy has a counter. Add in the complexity of the map, and I think you have a very deep game.

Yup, his comments got me to purchase the game (just arrived a couple of days ago).

Same here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skipsizemore wrote:
It's a shame my buddy Tim didn't live to see this thread -- he loved this game, and seemed to be on his way to dominating it the way he did A Few Acres of Snow. Every time I talked to him those past few weeks he was telling me something new he had learned about AD. I'm sure he would have written a lively appraisal. Sigh.

I strongly disagree with the comment that the decision space is narrow. I have not played Antike yet to compare it, but judged on its own I find that there are quite a few interesting options in AD. There are as many strategies as there are ways to make points. Just about any strategy can contribute to a quality win, and every strategy has a counter. Add in the complexity of the map, and I think you have a very deep game.


john

i'm not saying that there aren't interesting decisions, but that you end up with getting about the same scoring items each game... so as a result, you end up repeating the decision process from game to game...
first get tech - either through a temple - gold strategy or through expansion, then branch off the tech line and you need to get one of the 2 seas before your opponent steals one... then there is the efficiency battle that decides the game - conquest of temple or cities...

seems to me that playing to 7 or 8 vps instead of 9 would give players a wider choice of paths... something that exists in Antike.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got busy unexpectedly. Hoping to be able to post tomorrow. Review will definitely be mostly positive. V. Good game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
It's out. I am hoping for more video reviews.


Working on one just need some more plays
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuttle757 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
It's out. I am hoping for more video reviews.


Working on one just need some more plays


Excellent !!!!! Can't Wait !!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Review has been submitted for approval and should be live shortly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
Review has been submitted for approval and should be live shortly.

From GeekMod it says it has been submitted for Antike, instead of Antike Duellum.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fede__ wrote:
dond80 wrote:
Review has been submitted for approval and should be live shortly.

From GeekMod it says it has been submitted for Antike, instead of Antike Duellum.


Argh! Are you sure that it is my review? I will resubmit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
Fede__ wrote:
dond80 wrote:
Review has been submitted for approval and should be live shortly.

From GeekMod it says it has been submitted for Antike, instead of Antike Duellum.


Argh! Are you sure that it is my review? I will resubmit.

Yup, I'm sure.
Now I have seen the resubmitted one on the queue and it's fine

Edit: it might take 1-2 hours, there are about a dozen articles there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Review is up...in the Antike forum
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Review is up...in the Antike forum

shake GeekMod is getting worse and worse. I shot it down, but it seems most don't even read the reviews they approve.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fede__ wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
Review is up...in the Antike forum

shake GeekMod is getting worse and worse. I shot it down, but it seems most don't even read the reviews they approve.


I got s LARGER geek mod GG award from the improperly submitted review than I did the properly submitted review- and they were identical other than that error!

whistle snore
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.