Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first ROTA game we played. I was excited about using the new rules and the new races. I was concerned about using the Enlightened in a three player game. From reading the description my thought was (Sit back and trutle and you got 12 VPs just from shrines).

I won the roll off and chose the Rho Indi Syndicate. I didn't see the lack of juggernaughts as a penalty as I usually don't use them much. The integrated shields were awesome, However, a home world worth 0 VP had me thinking.

My brother chose second and went with The Exiles. My sister-in-Law chose the Enligtened of Lyra. She was interested in testing the theory of an easy victory via shrines.

Included rules... All rare techs, discovery tiles, development tiles, warp tiles, We used three Ancient homeworlds, and mixed the Hives into there piles. Instead of counting out the 10 sector III's we needed we just had people pick from the pile on exploration. We also used the juggernaught Ancient instead of the GCDS. We also used the direction of play marker to ensure the 2nd player to pass always went second the next round.

Having the Ancient homeworld really changed my strategy for play. We usually use the edges of the boards to create barriers between the opponents which forces big showdowns at the GCDS. This game I actively tried to access the ancient homeworlds so I could take on the Ancient Cruisers. This opened up other ways to attack my neighbors as well.

The Exiles took advantage of the development cards nicely acquiring the research station in round two leading to acquisition of the early advanced economy tech to show up. However, this opened the door for me to get advanced robotics in round 2. The Exiles also acquired the shell world later in the game.

The Enlightened stayed true to their plan and fully developed every shrine they could throughout the game. However, it was clear that this was a sink for resources and she struggled to amass ships and be more aggressive. It didn't help that I had taken the ancient homw world next to her and kept her in a defensive position much of the game.

The warp portals came out very early and the Exiles and I had a nice backdoor to each other, which neither of use ended up using. The exiles never really found themselves in a position to be aggressive and I didn't see them as a threat by the end of the game.

Armed with the built in shields and an early improve hull draw I was primed to be aggressive from the beginning and I maxed out my rep tiles by mid game. I was helped by several Ancients in my area and I was eventually able to take out one ancient cruiser and the central juggernaught. I acquired Quantum Grid and Advanced Economy along the way so I was not hurting for actions (resources, yes... not actions).

Towards the end I chose to invade the Enlightened to ensure that they couldn't get all of the points from their shrines.

The final tally....

Enlightened - Exiles - Syndicate

Systems: 11 - 15 - 22
Research: 2 - 2 - 5
Reptiles: 10 - 1 - 17
Discover: 2 - 2 - 10
Extra: 9 - 11 - 2
---------------------------------
Totals: 34 - 31 - 56

A resounding victory for the Syndicate. First time I got in the 50+ score as well. If I hadn't pushed into the Enlightened terrirotry at the end she would have scored 41, but I still would have been at 52.

All in all it was a great game and I really liked the additions. I would have liked to see a hive come out. We were all worried it was going to be one of the last sector IIs explored but it didn't happen. We saw 7 of the rare technologies come out in the game, so they made a good showing. I actually passed on all of them and even passed on the discovery tiles, too.

Can't wait for another epic ROTA game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Instead of counting out the 10 sector III's we needed we just had people pick from the pile on exploration.

Does that mean you didn't limit the III's to 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Suomalainen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hartm wrote:

Reptiles: 10 - 1 - 17

For a second I was like "There are no bloody lizards in my Eclipse..."

Good read nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only used the required 10. Used a d20 set at 10 to count down. Just having that huge stack of sector III's made it fun to pick from the pile. Lots of replayability, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.