Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about it, BGG community?

What games do you recommend for a friend of mine who (in her own words) "LOVES to play board games" and is interested in my particular ilk of them? She already knows I don't have a collection of games like Catch Phrase - where sight isn't the most important thing...

She's not completely blind, but she can make out shapes and shadows, so basically a small step above 'blind as a bat'. She still uses a cane when she walks anywhere, and if possible, has someone guiding her if she's with company. But she has her ways of overcoming adversity. She's a talented musician who learns music through listening (obviously) but she also has a giant bubble magnifying glass thingie that she uses to READ the music as well.

She has a very optimistic spirit and is an awesome person. But I can't help but look through my collection of games and think "all of these have tiny pieces, or small artwork on the board" etc. While I wold teach her anything she was genuinely interested in playing, what do you guys think in general; any ideas or solutions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
I suppose theres a niche for some kind of braile card convertor?
Then card management games might be more accessable?

Maybe classic games like Race for the Galaxy etc would be playable with this addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would depend greatly on the extent of her impairment, but how about Qwirkle?

It's a fun, competitive game with large tiles with colorful, large symbols. It is color-dependent though, so the quality of her color vision will be important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has actually come up several times. Some geeklists that might be of help:

Gaming with the Blind: a story

Games for the blind (Euro & Ameritrash)

Games for the Blind

There are some forum threads, too, but my BGG search-fu is not up to the task...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might also suggest a party-style game (for a group) like Wits & Wagers.

You'll need a reader with quality vision to read a card to all of the players. The questions in this game all ask for a numerical figure.

"What year did X happen...?"
"In feet, how tall is X building...?"

So the players would need to be able to write down a numerical figure on a small dry erase board. A reader with fully capable vision can guide the rest of the game, which involves a little bit of wagering on whose number is closest to correct.

Great fun at parties, especially for know-it-all types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There needs to be a flat touchscreen with audible cues in distinction to a flat board with a tactile cue surface. Or maybe a combination.
Electronic Battleship might come close, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Games where everything is "open" on the board might be worth looking at. Hopefully magnifier will help, but anything she's not sure about she can ask about.

No Thanks!
Ra
Coloretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Games for the Visually Impaired
Games for visually impaired
Board game for visually impaired?
Good games for visually impaired player
player with vision impairment
Games for the blind or non-sighted, need suggestions please
player with vision impairment

PS:
alfredhw wrote:
There are some forum threads, too, but my BGG search-fu is not up to the task...

I find the best way to search the site is to use google. Enter:

site:boardgamegeek.com Your search here

For best results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the all geeklist links. I'm not surprised this has come up before. I'll poke around and see what I can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Shark is a game where you rely on touch to draw the right tiles out of the bag. The tiles are coated on one side with different textures. A unique gamer's party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.