Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

Tomorrow for boxing I was thinking of getting a few tradepaperbacks. I wanted your opinion on specific titles.

Runaways Vol. 1: Pride and Joy
Swamp Thing Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing
Adam Strange: Planet Heist
DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 1
DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2

Have you read any of them? What are your thoughts?

dwarf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runaways is a very fun series. I've only read the first "season" of it (consisting of three TPB volumes) and I really enjoyed it.

Planet Heist, from what I understand, started as an Adam Strange series and then got caught up in the whole "Infinite Crisis" hoo-hah that DC is doing now. From what I hear, it's not very self contained, as it spins off into the Rann-Thanagar War miniseries. Depending on how mired you want to get in a sprawling crossover "event", you may wish to avoid this.

New Frontier is a very nice story with gorgeaous art. It's a love letter silver age DC comics, and quite good, though DC now has its "DC Showcase" volumes which give you tons of actual silver age comics for a low cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, am into the "Infinite Crisis" hoo-hah, I just might pick up the adam strange TPB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swamp Thing is the reprint of the first storyarc by Allan Moore; see DC for more: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=1661
IMHO great storytelling & great artwork, highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many wonderful TPB which are available. It is hard to get them all unless you have the budget for it.

I love reading comics. It is a good source of distraction for me though it's an expensive hobby if you collect lots of titles at the same time and are trying to keep up every week.

At the moment, am not collecting a specific title TPB wise. I just enjoy getting volume one of a series to see what it's about and compare with other stuff that I have read. Helps me to discover series which are out there and trying a little of everything.

Only series which I have collected completly is Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, one day my comic-budget will kill me. cry
Just look at the cool, sinister stuff IDW is puplishing.

dwarf wrote:

I love reading comics. It is a good source of distraction for me though it's an expensive hobby if you collect lots of titles at the same time and are trying to keep up every week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the DC New Frontier volume 1 and 2 with the Adam Strange TPB for day boxing day.

Swamp Thing volume 1 wasn't in stock. I was told that the softcover for Runaways wasn't out yet, only the hard cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.